• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Travis McKie

He's the best defensive SF that we have on this team. That's a fact.

He may be shooting a career low from beyond the arc (29.6%), but he's still shooting 50+% from inside of the arc, right around his career average. The difference is that he's only attempting 5.7 2FGA per 40 minutes pace adjusted. That's a huge difference, even though he's getting to the line at the same as he did during his freshman year and is having easily the least turnover prone and best passing season of his career by a large margin.

The difference between the two of us, it seems, is that the shift in Travis's play is what doesn't pass the smell test for me. He's not having a very good season, but it's also a completely different kind of season from a player who was relatively consistent for two straight years. There has to be more behind this story than "fuck Travis." I'm sorry - I believe in these guys more than that.

I also said fuck Madison Jones, but for both guys it's a one game thing. I want them to succeed. If one or both plays well against Virginia Tech, they will achieve redemption. I'm sure there are other things going on with McKie, but when you only have 14 or so games left in your college career you shouldn't be coasting. I'm sorry his college career didn't go according to script, but he's actually on a team now that has a chance to win games.

You have that a lot amongst a certain crowd. Travis has sacrificed an awful lot to make sure that Buzz's cupboard was never bare. But, hey - fuck him.

interesting that the same people buying the culture BS accepts the powers that be Shitting on college kids.

If only his coach could do the same...

What are you talking about? Bz doesn't play the games, he doesn't shoot or rebound, or miss shots and rebounds. He's coaching his tail off for this young team.

If this team was expected to be worse than the previous three I could see Travis mailing it in. But with a few key wins this year the team could at least have an NIT shot and Travis could experience post season play for the first time.

I could see Bzz not wanting Travis to take 10 3's a game but I cannot believe he really wants him taking less than 10 shots a game. The rebounding is baffling as well.

If this team was expected to be worse than the previous three I could see Travis mailing it in. But with a few key wins this year the team could at least have an NIT shot and Travis could experience post season play for the first time.

I could see Bzz not wanting Travis to take 10 3's a game but I cannot believe he really wants him taking less than 10 shots a game. The rebounding is baffling as well.

Bet he never thought when he committed here that he could potentially reach the NIT by his sr year.

interesting that the same people buying the culture BS accepts the powers that be Shitting on college kids.

Yep. This has been happening a long time. So many insiders and "good fans" dump on the players to protect the coaches.

I mean I may be off base but what a slap in the face to start your senior and your coach tells the team your only Senior will not be our Captain. Nice job buzz and its sad that Travis just said what the F..K, who cares. Well he plays every play like that.

I think it's pretty evident why he wasn't named captain. No leadership whatsoever. None.

I think it's pretty evident why he wasn't named captain. No leadership whatsoever. None.

I dont see the kid in practice so I cant say for sure. In games it appears he isn't a leader but the head coach appears to be the furthest thing from a leader I have ever seen on any level of coaching. Guy never wants to self evaluate or admit mistakes or say what he could have done differently. Always eager and willing to pass the blame.

I have limited coaching experience (worked a lot of camps, head freshmen bball coach) but I can honestly say that after any loss I would never address my team and call out individuals for what they did wrong. I would take notes (mental and physical ) on what went wrong and address them the the next day in practice. I would always say things like I could have put you guys in a better position and we will learn from this. Granted I didn't have to answer to the media but I never would pull the bs Bz does and say ask them.

I dont see the kid in practice so I cant say for sure. In games it appears he isn't a leader but the head coach appears to be the furthest thing from a leader I have ever seen on any level of coaching. Guy never wants to self evaluate or admit mistakes or say what he could have done differently. Always eager and willing to pass the blame.

I have limited coaching experience (worked a lot of camps, head freshmen bball coach) but I can honestly say that after any loss I would never address my team and call out individuals for what they did wrong. I would take notes (mental and physical ) on what went wrong and address them the the next day in practice. I would always say things like I could have put you guys in a better position and we will learn from this. Granted I didn't have to answer to the media but I never would pull the bs Bz does and say ask them.

Truth. If we are going to talk about lack of leadership in the basketball program, I am going to point out the obvious and start with the $1 million dollar plus salary expert buck passer.

Bet he never thought when he committed here that he could potentially reach the NIT by his sr year.

It is what it is. I guess it's much better to make your first round ACCT game your last of the season for 4 years straight. It's just the reality of where we are. Our OOC schedule make the NCAA tough especially since we lost to KU, Tenn and X.

Since the 80-81 season the number of 4 year Wake players that have not made the NIT or NCAA is relatively small. I think it would be seniors on Staak's 4th year team, Seniors on Odom's 1st year team and Travis.

It is what it is. I guess it's much better to make your first round ACCT game your last of the season for 4 years straight. It's just the reality of where we are. Our OOC schedule make the NCAA tough especially since we lost to KU, Tenn and X.

Since the 80-81 season the number of 4 year Wake players that have not made the NIT or NCAA is relatively small. I think it would be seniors on Staak's 4th year team, Seniors on Odom's 1st year team and Travis.

Don't get me wrong, I am not condoning Travis if he is indeed mailing it in. It is just such a disgrace that the program has gotten to this. It also is a disgrace that a coach wants to call out a kid for lack of leadership when he himself is a pathetic leader.

Travis wanted to play the 3 because any pro future he might have would be there . However , he has not improved his outside shooting and playing the 3 takes him away from where he flourished his first 2 years-- near the basket. The position change has backfired on him and the team.

Truth. If we are going to talk about lack of leadership in the basketball program, I am going to point out the obvious and start with the $1 million dollar plus salary expert buck passer.

Agree with this. A coach who is a good leader will develop leaders on his team the same way he develops the other skills of the game. Obviously some people are probably born leaders on the court (Chill was probably one) and some are not (as appears to be the case with Travis), but if the coach sees a leadership vacuum, then he needs to find someone who has some promise and work with them to fill that void. I mean, heck, ALL players should learn some modicum of leadership, it's a huge part of what you get out of competing. I really thought it spoke volumes when no captain was picked this year. Just another part of the game that hasn't been developed.

Clemson post game presser - includes question about Travis.

Back