• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Travis McKie

I don't like to think of this thread as trashing Travis so much. I like him a lot and he has been very good for us for a long time on some bad teams.

But at the same time you have to call him out a bit for what appears to be a lack of effort or something. And he's always averaged about 7 rpg, and we REALLY need rebounding help. And he just isn't doing it in the games against decent competition. 1 rebound in any game is something we cannot afford from Travis if he is going to play significant minutes. I remember Skip said the same one night when Antwan Scott had 0 or 1 rebound, and he basically told Dan or Lenox (omg, that name alone is like nails on a chalkboard) he called him in his office and told him that better not ever happen again. Travis could use some of the old Skip rebounding drills it seems. There is no excuse for it and it really is lack of effort.

I just think Buzz can talk X's and O's and fundamentals, but he just teaches and doesn't press guys who need to "reinforce" what has been taught, as a nice way of putting how someone like Skip coached rebounding. Here's how you do it, now you better fucking get it.

I don't like to think of this thread as trashing Travis so much. I like him a lot and he has been very good for us for a long time on some bad teams.

But at the same time you have to call him out a bit for what appears to be a lack of effort or something. And he's always averaged about 7 rpg, and we REALLY need rebounding help. And he just isn't doing it in the games against decent competition. 1 rebound in any game is something we cannot afford from Travis if he is going to play significant minutes. I remember Skip said the same one night when Antwan Scott had 0 or 1 rebound, and he basically told Dan or Lenox (omg, that name alone is like nails on a chalkboard) he called him in his office and told him that better not ever happen again. Travis could use some of the old Skip rebounding drills it seems. There is no excuse for it and it really is lack of effort.

I just think Buzz can talk X's and O's and fundamentals, but he just teaches and doesn't press guys who need to "reinforce" what has been taught, as a nice way of putting how someone like Skip coached rebounding. Here's how you do it, now you better fucking get it.

That's the biggest indictment against Bzz. He knows his stuff, but just doesn't possess the personality you need to be a high level college coach. The way we start in almost every road game proves this. He can't motivate whatsoever.

Actually, he can't talk very well either.

1-6 with 2 turnovers and he keeps firing up 3 pointers that aren't close. At least he has 4 rebounds. Still terrible play by Mckie. The one play when he makes the terrible pass to Devin and then doesn't hustle back and gets a foul was god awful. Looks like his effort is about 70% today. Disgusting play from a Senior.

1-6 with 2 turnovers and he keeps firing up 3 pointers that aren't close. At least he has 4 rebounds. Still terrible play by Mckie. The one play when he makes the terrible pass to Devin and then doesn't hustle back and gets a foul was god awful. Looks like his effort is about 70% today. Disgusting play from a Senior.

But, but, stats.

Dumbass passes are what kill me. He plays like Ovaltine. Way too much skill to waste on dumbass plays.

Interesting he got about 3 minutes in the second half (deservedly so). Will he become a cancer on the team. I can't stand Buzz but Mckie either is trying to get Buzz fired or is wagering against the Deacs. What a disappointment. Sure could have used McClinton this year. McClinton will be such an upgrade next year at the 3 for a new coach.

Interesting he got about 3 minutes in the second half (deservedly so). Will he become a cancer on the team. I can't stand Buzz but Mckie either is trying to get Buzz fired or is wagering against the Deacs. What a disappointment. Sure could have used McClinton this year. McClinton will be such an upgrade next year at the 3 for a new coach.

I'd recommend tempering expectations for McClinton. Especially in year one. He has the chance to be good, but these kinds of expectations are REALLY unreasonable.

Took 7 shots for the game, 4 of which were 3s that he missed. Really not sure why Bz chose to sit Cav for basically the last 8 mins when he was both our second leading scorer and rebounder.

I'd recommend tempering expectations for McClinton. Especially in year one. He has the chance to be good, but these kinds of expectations are REALLY unreasonable.

That's the truth. The expectations put on our sophs was ridiculous.

This.

I think Dan Collins needs to do an article on Mckie's dismal play. I know Dan reads these boards. The guy has a chance to play for $ overseas, don't know why he is mailing it in. As mentioned I hate Buzz, but at least he had the cajones to bench Mckie for most of the second half.

Back