• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trayvon Martin Case

What will be the verdict in the George Zimmerman trial over the killing of T. Martin?

• Total voters
i believe he acted recklessly and should get SOME form of punishment, but i don't believe that the prosecution proved it at all, so i think he walks.

This poll would be better if there were corresponding riot predictions under each option.

Said not guilty, but haven't been closely following the case and am not sure I'm clear on the legal difference given stand your ground between murder and manslaughter. For my thoughts on the matter, check out this post in the Tunnels.

I'm pretty sure the case has nothing to do with Stand your Ground, despite the media talking about it non-stop. The case is being argued by the prosecution and defense on the more basic self defense laws. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm pretty sure the case has nothing to do with Stand your Ground, despite the media talking about it non-stop. The case is being argued by the prosecution and defense on the more basic self defense laws. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yea, I remember that now. Like I said, haven't followed too closely.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I'm not sure how you can argue self defense when one person has a gun and the other doesn't. I've always been under the impression levels of force should be equal. You cant use deadly force if the other person doesn't have deadly force. But not sure if this is a legal thing or not. I assumed that's why they've been arguing stand your ground. Admittedly not following this stuff very closely.

I still don't understand how Chad Johnson gives his attorney a pat on the ass during a hearing about a parole violation and gets 30 days, yet this guy's lawyer came out and told a knock knock joke at the beginning of a murder trial and is actually going to win the case.

I'm not sure how you can argue self defense when one person has a gun and the other doesn't. I've always been under the impression levels of force should be equal. You cant use deadly force if the other person doesn't have deadly force. But not sure if this is a legal thing or not. I assumed that's why they've been arguing stand your ground. Admittedly not following this stuff very closely.

Self defense does not require equal force. Under most self defense laws, you are justified in using deadly force if you feel your life is in danger.

They haven't been arguing stand your ground in the case. Stand your ground was the buzzword that the press grabbed on when the shooting happened, but it hasn't been a part of the defense.

Self defense does not require equal force. Under most self defense laws, you are justified in using deadly force if you feel your life is in danger.

They haven't been arguing stand your ground in the case. Stand your ground was the buzzword that the press grabbed on when the shooting happened, but it hasn't been a part of the defense.

I get what you're saying, but how can someone's life be in danger if the person they are defending themselves against aren't using deadly force?

I get what you're saying, but how can someone's life be in danger if the person they are defending themselves against aren't using deadly force?

Martin could have beat him to death with his bare hands.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

How is slamming someone's head into the concrete not to be considered deadly force, especially if you are the one in the moment getting your head slammed?

I also haven't been following the case beyond reading headlines. I imagine the jury has an idea of the craziness that will ensue if they don't convict him of anything. So I voted manslaughter. I do think that it's kinda BS that the jury can convict him of something that wasn't a one of the charges during the trial, but apparently that's common in Florida.

So then isn't the unarmed man defending himself with deadly force when he feels his life is in danger against the armed man who approaches him?

So then isn't the unarmed man defending himself with deadly force when he feels his life is in danger against the armed man who approaches him?

There has been no evidence presented to indicate Martin knew Zimmerman was armed until Zimmerman was already on the ground, and in fact, the evidence points to Martin being the one who approached Zimmerman and started the physical altercation.

Potentially, but the problem here is that there is no evidence that the armed guy approached the unarmed guy to put his life in danger. Even though had the gun, unless he started pointing it at Martin and trying to shoot him, Martin's life wasn't in danger. Not to say that didn't happen, but there is no evidence it did. And it is the state's burden of proof.

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

I still don't understand how Chad Johnson gives his attorney a pat on the ass during a hearing about a parole violation and gets 30 days, yet this guy's lawyer came out and told a knock knock joke at the beginning of a murder trial and is actually going to win the case.

Florida. See also: Anthony, Casey

Back