• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trayvon Martin Case

What will be the verdict in the George Zimmerman trial over the killing of T. Martin?

• Total voters
I also haven't been following the case beyond reading headlines. I imagine the jury has an idea of the craziness that will ensue if they don't convict him of anything. So I voted manslaughter. I do think that it's kinda BS that the jury can convict him of something that wasn't a one of the charges during the trial, but apparently that's common in Florida.

I know it happens all the time, but this is the worst part for me. Murder 2 has been out of reach from the beginning. I think prosecutors shoot for it knowing the jury is more likely to compromise and vote manslaughter. This case should have been tried as manslaughter from the beginning, and if it had been I might have been more convinced. But since they spent all their time going after murder 2, I don't think they made either charge. So I voted not guilty, but I wouldn't be surprised if the jury "compromises."

BTW, as a fire-arm owner, I think Zimmerman made very poor choices that night, and has culpability. I'm just more disappointed in what I've observed from the prosecutors in the trial.

Florida. See also: Anthony, Casey

Casey Anthony is as guilty as it gets, but the evidence against her was circumstantial. It's a pain to say, but given the evidence against her, she justifiably walked. I wish she hadn't, but that's not my decision.

Based on my Twitter timeline there is nobody on the fence about this. Everybody is absolutely on one side or the other (tends to follow racial lines).

I haven't followed the case extremely closely, so I'm relatively uninformed. I just find it interesting how everybody has their mind made up and nothing can persuade them to change it, no matter the facts.

There has been no evidence presented to indicate Martin knew Zimmerman was armed until Zimmerman was already on the ground, and in fact, the evidence points to Martin being the one who approached Zimmerman and started the physical altercation.

Granted I haven't picked through the details, but I thought Zimmerman called the cops and talked about the thugs that get away with shit and then said he was going to approach Martin against the dispatcher's advice.

I still fail to see why this is such an issue when worse, more heinous, acts have been committed in the meantime. I feel like this whole case has been turned into a race issue.

I've made up my mind and nothing can persuade me differently. Under the laws of the state of Florida the prosecutors ha e failed to meet their burden of proof and he is therefore not guilty.

I know it happens all the time, but this is the worst part for me. Murder 2 has been out of reach from the beginning. I think prosecutors shoot for it knowing the jury is more likely to compromise and vote manslaughter. This case should have been tried as manslaughter from the beginning, and if it had been I might have been more convinced. But since they spent all their time going after murder 2, I don't think they made either charge. So I voted not guilty, but I wouldn't be surprised if the jury "compromises."

I wouldn't want to be those people when they find out that the sentence for their "compromise" is still life in prison.

Granted I haven't picked through the details, but I thought Zimmerman called the cops and talked about the thugs that get away with shit and then said he was going to approach Martin against the dispatcher's advice.

This was stupid but not illegal. It's not illegal to follow someone and ask them what they are doing. Just stupid.

I've made up my mind and nothing can persuade me differently. Under the laws of the state of Florida the prosecutors ha e failed to meet their burden of proof and he is therefore not guilty.

This is how I feel. Just not enough to make a case. All this bullshit feigned emotions by the prosecutors is sickening.

This was stupid but not illegal. It's not illegal to follow someone and ask them what they are doing. Just stupid.

Obviously it's not illegal, but seems to contradict this statement from Racer:

There has been no evidence presented to indicate Martin knew Zimmerman was armed until Zimmerman was already on the ground, and in fact, the evidence points to Martin being the one who approached Zimmerman and started the physical altercation.

I wouldn't want to be those people when they find out that the sentence for their "compromise" is still life in prison.

EXACTLY. That's why this whole setup is bullshit. The jury has no idea, it just seems better than murder or letting him off completely. If there are multiple crimes I'm okay with multiple charges, but I don't like this lesser charge stuff. Also not huge on letting the prosecution have the last word in the trial. I know they have the burden of proof and all, but I think the defense should always have the last word.

The penalty for manslaughter is life in prison? I didn't know that.

Obviously it's not illegal, but seems to contradict this statement from Racer:

I gotcha. Well the defense is arguing that Martin moved back in the direction that Zimmerman was and confronted him there. None of it matters as Zimmerman didn't do anything illegal to begin with. But I think Racer was talking about the Defense theory about Martin moving back toward Zimmerman instead of going home...which I agree the evidence seems to suggest. Let's face it, Martin was going to have no trouble getting away from a waddling Zimmerman.

The penalty for manslaughter is life in prison? I didn't know that.

I was thinking in Fla it was a 30 max, but didn't look it up. It has the potential to be pretty high, though. I'm guessing with no record or whatever, it wouldn't be that high, but still more serious than the jury is likely to think of it as a "lesser charge."

I gotcha. Well the defense is arguing that Martin moved back in the direction that Zimmerman was and confronted him there. None of it matters as Zimmerman didn't do anything illegal to begin with. But I think Racer was talking about the Defense theory about Martin moving back toward Zimmerman instead of going home...which I agree the evidence seems to suggest. Let's face it, Martin was going to have no trouble getting away from a waddling Zimmerman.

Waddling?

Not guilty. There's just not enough evidence to contradict the whole 'stand your ground' thing, IMO.

side note- is zimmerman's excessive weight gain a defense tactic?

zimmerman was under 200 at the time of the incident. he's 'softened' his look considerably since then.

Waddling?

I was just trying to imagine what a short, fat Zimmerman would look like running down the street. Which of course he wasn't, he was walking. Martin would have no trouble getting away from him. It looks more like he approached Zimmerman and ended up getting the better end of altercation. It's a shitty situation but I just don't think the prosecution made a strong enough case to put Z in jail.

And to above post, fair enough. Think point still stands, though.

zimmermann was a wimp @ 150 lbs he was getting his ass handed to him regardless

These prosecutors are just making shit up in their closing arguments. Is RJ a Sanford prosecutor?

It's just difficult for me to get past the fact that if the wannabe cop with a gun had just went on his way, the kid wouldn't be dead.

And with the stuff the guy has said, it's hard not to believe that he went into that altercation with malice or bad intentions.

Back