• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trayvon Martin Case

What will be the verdict in the George Zimmerman trial over the killing of T. Martin?

• Total voters
I was just trying to imagine what a short, fat Zimmerman would look like running down the street. Which of course he wasn't, he was walking. Martin would have no trouble getting away from him. It looks more like he approached Zimmerman and ended up getting the better end of altercation. It's a shitty situation but I just don't think the prosecution made a strong enough case to put Z in jail.

And to above post, fair enough. Think point still stands, though.

oh, i don't disagree with you at all. just noting the weight thing. i've been noticing a lot of people mentioning zimmerman's weight in their comments about all of it, with reference to how his size was a disadvantage in the situation, etc... and it's important to note that his body's changed a LOT since it all went down. that's what makes me wonder if it's a defense thing.

oh, i don't disagree with you at all. just noting the weight thing. i've been noticing a lot of people mentioning zimmerman's weight in their comments about all of it, with reference to how his size was a disadvantage in the situation, etc... and it's important to note that his body's changed a LOT since it all went down. that's what makes me wonder if it's a defense thing.

Yea...he gained 120lbs didn't he?

finding image that will copy./

I understand and wish Z had just minded his own business, but I buy in to the argument that Martin also came toward Zimmerman instead of continuing home. I also imagine Martin "threw the first punch" as it were. In terms of the law, I think it's an acquittal but who knows what the jury will do.

nm. misread your post. I still think Martin easily beats up or outruns Zimmerman at any weight.

george-zimmerman.png

I'm sorry, I didn't accuse you of agreeing me. I said fair enough about the weight change, I still think Martin would whip his ass at 150 pounds, or could still easily out run him. I don't see how the weight change really matters at all.

Well a 250lb doughy guy looks a lot less threatening that a 150lb semi-fit one. All about mental perception

Same with the shaved head vs short side part as shown above.

Yeah, I edited that above post you quoted because I misread the post I was referring to.

The penalty for manslaughter is life in prison? I didn't know that.

Because of Florida's gun laws, it would carry a mandatory 25 to Life sentence.

After reading some more, it looks like it would be a max of 30 years for manslaughter.

Last edited:
I guess I should read before I vote.

I think that he should walk pretty easily on both, but I think there is a fair chance he gets stuck with manslaughter. Reason being is there are 6 and not 12 jurors and all of them are women. Women tend to be emotional rather than rational, and with 6 women as opposed to 12, the likelihood that you'll find a rational one in the bunch is greatly reduced.

I think it's about 40% chance he gets manslaughter, 40% he walks, and 20% that the jury deadlocks on manslaughter. 100% he walks on 2nd degree murder. If he doesn't walk on 2nd degree, women should be deprived of their voting rights from now until the end of time.

I find the spread of political persuasions and professions reflected in the voting. There doesn't seem to be solid uniformity in left vs right in posters' political backgrounds on any one side of guilty vs not. I think I see a few barristers voting on the "not guilty of either" side which is interesting. Is that the case? Does the majority of the resident board legal eagles believe it's going "not guilty" and is that due to socio-political feelings or gut legal instinct?

ELC's on the right track, IMO. I certainly haven't seen much of the trial at all but I think the jury's emotions may play the deciding role. From what I have heard, the prosecution really had a weak case as many of their witnesses bolstered certain defense claims.

All I do know is that I'm diving in the Keys this weekend so I've got "Free Zimmerman" and "Justice for Trayvon" shirts standing by. I remember South Central in '92.

I find the spread of political persuasions and professions reflected in the voting. There doesn't seem to be solid uniformity in left vs right in posters' political backgrounds on any one side of guilty vs not. I think I see a few barristers voting on the "not guilty of either" side which is interesting. Is that the case? Does the majority of the resident board legal eagles believe it's going "not guilty" and is that due to socio-political feelings or gut legal instinct?

ELC's on the right track, IMO. I certainly haven't seen much of the trial at all but I think the jury's emotions may play the deciding role. From what I have heard, the prosecution really had a weak case as many of their witnesses bolstered certain defense claims.

All I do know is that I'm diving in the Keys this weekend so I've got "Free Zimmerman" and "Justice for Trayvon" shirts standing by. I remember South Central in '92.

Sounds like a fun trip. Still looking to find a groupon to get my certification.

If he's not guilty will he do the "not the father" Maury dance?

1728animated_gif_not_the_father.gif

Back