• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

I've had 5 sandwiches at Obriens and loved them all. I shake my head at folks walking into Jimmy Johns next door. You might pay a buck more at Obrien's but it's so much better.

I had a Cuban sandwich at Obriens on Country Club. It was disappointing. The pork was shredded not sliced and it made it too mushy.

I had a Cuban sandwich at Obriens on Country Club. It was disappointing. The pork was shredded not sliced and it made it too mushy.

After work took me to Miami 3 months a year for 5 years, I don't expect much out of a cuban from deli's that don't really specialize in them, or restaurants outside of Miami.

After work took me to Miami 3 months a year for 5 years, I don't expect much out of a cuban from deli's that don't really specialize in them, or restaurants outside of Miami.

Supposed to be great in Tampa too, since that's where they originated.

Freeman's in Greensboro makes a pretty mean Cuban with country ham.

Freeman's and Mozelle's are my favorite places in the Triad that aren't Maxie B's.

Yeah I have never been. I guess once a month when I want a slice, Mellow Mushroom is good and a 1/2 block from me.

It's completely different 'za than Mellow Mushroom. Definitely check it out. Tuesday nights are a good bet if you are unsure ($10 pizza night). Go for the Diavola or The Margherita Extra.

Don't worry. Sweet Potatoes is still awesome. Food and service just as fantastic as they ever were.

I took the in-laws about a month ago and had some pretty bad food on a Friday night. Had only ever been for brunch before so was super disappointed. Also service was lacking (went like 20 minutes w/out a refill).

Travelled Farmer in Greensboro closing. Painted Plate catering now partnering w/ Kotis and going to use the building as event space.

Kotis can't seem to get many of his food/drink ideas to work, at least not in that location. Funny though is Mac's opened across the street (not Kotis owned) and it does great business. Maybe selling Pig Pounder beer instead of good beer isn't such a great idea.

That location has been cursed for going on 20 years. Kotis had tenants in it that never lasted more than a year over and over and over again, and it was vacant just about more than it was occupied. Here lately they have been trying to populate it with their own home-grown concepts but obviously that has been rocky as well. I thought Travelled Farmer was pretty damn good the couple times I ate there, but there is something about that location that just does not work for restaurants.

That location has been cursed for going on 20 years. Kotis had tenants in it that never lasted more than a year over and over and over again, and it was vacant just about more than it was occupied. Here lately they have been trying to populate it with their own home-grown concepts but obviously that has been rocky as well. I thought Travelled Farmer was pretty damn good the couple times I ate there, but there is something about that location that just does not work for restaurants.

I liked Marshall Free House, but didn't care for Traveled Farmer. The beer list at TF was crappy and the time I was there, the menu lacked anything I wanted.

Weird that the location has trouble (I remember it as Uno's). Mac's does fine across the street.

I liked Marshall Free House, but didn't care for Traveled Farmer. The beer list at TF was crappy and the time I was there, the menu lacked anything I wanted.

Weird that the location has trouble (I remember it as Uno's). Mac's does fine across the street.

went once to TF and had no interest in going back.

I did make it to Scratch Chicken and Donuts across the street - the Chicken is really good, the donuts not so much. Service left a lot to be desired and they have about 4 drink selections (water, tea, coke, sprite). One guy ordered his meal, then walked to Sheetz and came back with a fountain drink to have with his drink.

Downtown Thai Pho today. Awesome on a chilly day.

Reminder that Miami Restaurant in downtown Winston (formerly Miami's Cafe) is very very good, and family run.
903be7b888c0300b9a2f0b83b530c549.jpg
b50e8131ed1a85359b13afd37c54de93.jpg

it may have been recently discussed... but where's the best cheap sushi spot these days?

my wife is coming from the hanes mall area towards lewisville each day.

lowes has some good (bad) rolls - they make a mean soggy rice crispy treat combo (it really is decent)... but i'd love to know a place on our respective routes that can fill us up for $25 or $30. and no, marquee, just no.

Misu is my favorite but two of you won't get out of there for $30.
Kimono with coupons can be that cheap.
Otherwise hit TinTin for all you can eat shitty fishless sushi. And maybe some hepatitis.

The place on 4th that moved and then moved back?

It used to be on the corner where Xcarat is, now it's in between "The Bar on 4th Street" and Jimmy Johns. I don't know if it was some place before Xcarat location.

it may have been recently discussed... but where's the best cheap sushi spot these days?

lowes has some good (bad) rolls - they make a mean soggy rice crispy treat combo (it really is decent)... but i'd love to know a place on our respective routes that can fill us up for $25 or $30. and no, marquee, just no.

There's a shiki near the Lewisville-Clemmons Road exit, just past the old Big Shotz restaurant. A cut above Lowe's a pretty cheap. But not Misu quality, really.

It's in High Point and it's fucking amazing. Literally unparalleled in NC. I lived in Japan for a year.

https://www.shinkogrillhp.com/menus
Address: 1231 Eastchester Dr #111, High Point, NC 27265
Hours: Open today · 11AM–10PM
Phone: (336) 804-5529

Back