• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

Met the owner of hoots today as we waited for our table at the porch, he invited us in and told us about the place. Seemed super nice, but man that is a small bar!

Met the owner of hoots today as we waited for our table at the porch, he invited us in and told us about the place. Seemed super nice, but man that is a small bar!

Hoots really is just the waiting room that has beer while you wait 1.5 hours for your table at Porch.

The lunch buffet at Taste of Thai has really gone downhill. Used to be really nice, now it's gross. Saffron is still good, but they recently reduced the number of items on their lunch buffet without reducing the price which I didn't appreciate. I have never ordered off the menu at either of these establishments so I can only judge them by the buffet.

ETA: for Southern comfort - Hable's Hearth was the jam until it closed, have not found a replacement. I have heard good things about Stephanie's and Universal House of Prayer but have never been there. For upscale southern, Lucky 32 is a good bet.

ETA Again - don't know how I forgot the Moose Cafe. Pretty solid southern comfort food but it's all the way out at the Farmer's Market off I-40 so negative points for location.

Last edited:
Help me suck less.

Winston
Wings - Waldo's Wings
Trendy Americana - Fourth Street Filling Station
Southern Comfort - Murphy's Lunch / Duke's
Burgers - Putters?
Japanese - No.
Chinese - Sampan
Hot Dogs - Skippy's
Thai - Cha-Da
Indian - Nawab
BBQ - Smithfields

Greensboro
Wings - ???
Trendy Americana - Liberty Oak / Europa
Southern Comfort - ???
Burgers - Hops / Big Burger Spot
Japanese - Asahi
Chinese - ???
Hot Dogs - Yum Yum (niche)
Thai - Taste of Thai
Indian - Saffron
BBQ - Country BBQ on Wendover (Stameys?)

I'm really struggling to fill that Wing slot in GSO.

Bonus points to fill the traditional chinese and southern comfort categories in GSO as well.

For Indian food, we've started going to Golden India more than Nawab. http://www.goldenindiarestaurant.net/ Its half restaurant, half Indian market. The food is great and the store is great for picking up unique spices.

Old Town has good wings (but nothing extraordinary). I miss that place...

I thought the best GSO wings were at Bleachers (RIP), but their menu SUCKED otherwise. I would only order beer and wings at that place.

Does good breakfast count as southern comfort food because if so I submit both scrambled and smith st diner

Southern Comfort - Murphy's Lunch / Duke's

Tell me more about these places - I've never been to either.

I'd submit places like Milner's, Mozelle's, and Sweet Potatoes. I guess they're more Southern than comfort.

My fave GSO hearty breakfast is the tenderloin at Carolinas Diner. Better than anything at smiff st imo.

Help me suck less.

Winston
Wings - Waldo's Wings Ronnies
Trendy Americana - Fourth Street Filling Station Mozelles
Southern Comfort - Murphy's Lunch / Duke's Meta's or Dukes
Burgers - Putters? I struggled with this one.. maybe I agree with Putters? Not entirely sure. Although it is a chain, Bad Daddys is pretty good.
Japanese - No. Misu
Chinese - Sampan Sampan
Hot Dogs - Skippy's Skippys
Thai - Cha-Da Teeter (Sawatdee) Thai
Indian - Nawab Nawab
BBQ - Smithfields Little Richards

Greensboro
Wings - ???
Trendy Americana - Liberty Oak / Europa
Southern Comfort - ???
Burgers - Hops / Big Burger Spot
Japanese - Asahi
Chinese - ???
Hot Dogs - Yum Yum (niche)
Thai - Taste of Thai
Indian - Saffron
BBQ - Country BBQ on Wendover (Stameys?)

I'm really struggling to fill that Wing slot in GSO.

Bonus points to fill the traditional chinese and southern comfort categories in GSO as well.

Just my subjective thoughts.

Last edited:
Tell me more about these places - I've never been to either.

I'd submit places like Milner's, Mozelle's, and Sweet Potatoes. I guess they're more Southern than comfort.

Dukes is over on Country Club next to Little Richards. It is a really good meat and two place. I would suggest trying their breakfast as well, biscuits are legit.

Murphy's is a tiny hole in the wall which is on third street downtown. I work close to there so its a good little spot. Also does meat and two. I prefer Meta's though which is right around the corner but sort of hard to find. Murphys serves bfast though which is nice.

BBQ - Smithfields

Really surprised me with this pick. For one, I don't know where there's a Smithfields here. Also, I consider it cheap chain 'cue. We have three BBQ places that still use trad wood pits - Hill's near WFU, Mr. BBQ and Lil Richards

My favorite Triad dogs are still Dari-o. Love their slaw.

Dukes is over on Country Club next to Little Richards. It is a really good meat and two place. I would suggest trying their breakfast as well, biscuits are legit.

Murphy's is a tiny hole in the wall which is on third street downtown. I work close to there so its a good little spot. Also does meat and two. I prefer Meta's though which is right around the corner but sort of hard to find. Murphys serves bfast though which is nice.

I go to Dukes probably once a week for breakfast. It's a really good place imo.

I have hit up The Diner on Country Club a few times for Saturday breakfast as well. Not bad.

Hard to mess up eggs, bacon, and hash browns though.

I go to Dukes probably once a week for breakfast. It's a really good place imo.

I have hit up The Diner on Country Club a few times for Saturday breakfast as well. Not bad.

Hard to mess up eggs, bacon, and hash browns though.

Duke's broccoli casserole is fantastic. I'm pretty sure the flour, grease and cheese they put into it negates any health benefits the broccoli contributes.

TJ's Deli has the best burger in WS. I prefer PB's, Dairi-o, Pulliam's hot dogs over Skippy's.

GSO definitely has better burger joints, while WS has better hot dog places.

Does Gso have a hot dog place besides Yum-yum?

Back