• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trip to Italy

Wait till after June of this year. I will have better understanding of where I will be living by then.

(Kidding, but you have plenty of time, Spain is awesome and easy to get around)
I have been a couple of times and so have my wife. Now we want to take the kids on a trip and cruise around the country for a couple of weeks. I'm thinking Madrid for like 3-4 days, Andalucia for like 4-5 days and Barcelona for 4-5 days. Something like that.

I have been a couple of times and so have my wife. Now we want to take the kids on a trip and cruise around the country for a couple of weeks. I'm thinking Madrid for like 3-4 days, Andalucia for like 4-5 days and Barcelona for 4-5 days. Something like that.
In Andalusia I am assuming you’re planning on Seville, Cordoba, and Malaga? Seville in itself is probably at least a two dayer, depending on the time of year.

If your family are foodies, then I recommend looking into San Sebastián. The issue though is that there isn’t a easy way to get there.

Just my thoughts but 3 days in Madrid, maybe 4 in Barcelona and the rest in the south would be ideal in my opinion, but I always liked to see as much as possible and never minded the travel between.

seville was great; add a day for Granada and touring the Alhambra. If you can, stay at the parador inside the alhambra: https://paradorgranada.com/. That was a great place to stay, and you can drive all the way inside the Alhambra (instead of walking a mile uphill) and admission is included.

San Sebastian is one of my favorite cities in the world, but not that kid-friendly. You go there to eat an relax (not as many sites/museums). But you could go into Bilbao for the day to go to the Guggenheim.

seville was great; add a day for Granada and touring the Alhambra. If you can, stay at the parador inside the alhambra: https://paradorgranada.com/. That was a great place to stay, and you can drive all the way inside the Alhambra (instead of walking a mile uphill) and admission is included.
Yeah, I studied in Granada, so we are clearly going there. I loved that place. I went to the Alhambra the last weekend I was there to check the box. Had too much fun hanging out doing other stuff. Great place with beautiful views.

Flights booked! Nov 5-15. Currently looking at the following:

-Arrive the 6th, drive to Parma spend 2 nights
-Starting the 8th spend 6 nights at an agriturismo outside Siena
-Drive back to Milan airport, probably spend the night there the 14th since we have a morning flight.

Could shorten our time in Tuscany and maybe do a night in Bologna or Modena on the way back to Milan. Don't think we have time to hit Milan proper as it seems like a hassle to return the car at the airport, go into the city, then come back to the airport at some point.

if looking at Pompeii it was overrated when I was there 35 years ago. Herculaneum was better. Pompeii was covered in ash (burn) H was covered in mudslides and better preserved.

aight -- looking for some recos (esp. hidden gems) to fill in the time (have a couple open days at the moment) will provide a review on the food if i'm not lazy:

-arrive may 10th in rome, staying there until the 12th. dinner at pulejo
-going to naples for the 12th night, will check out sorrento and amalfi coast but mostly to get dinner at taverna estia.
-booked a spot in bologna for a week from the 13th through 20th to serve as home base. doing a small group wine tour and def want to go to modena.
-going to venice to knock on casa artom to go to le calendre in padua which is supposed to be super dope.
-staying in florence for a night, dinner at borgo san jacopo
-going to cortona for a night
-last three nights in lake como, just outside varenna in perledo

If you swing by the Palazzo Pitti (sp?) Take in this beautiful bastard.

Attachments

• IMG_4103.jpg
    IMG_4103.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 11
Harry's for a cocktail in Venice (its a thing, you wont regret it, especially if you do some research on the place). For Como you can do a hop on and off boat for the day, pretty cheap, great way to see a bunch of little towns. The City of Como isn't exactly must see, Bellagio is probably better way to spend your time.

If you swing by the Palazzo Pitti (sp?) Take in this beautiful bastard.
He could also just go next door to Casa Artom and be welcomed by the boner guy on the horse.

Venice-061.jpg

…when your belly sticks out farther than your dickdo.

Just gotta sit on a big ole tortoise.

rimshot

Sounds like a wonderful trip…enjoy!

aight -- looking for some recos (esp. hidden gems) to fill in the time (have a couple open days at the moment) will provide a review on the food if i'm not lazy:

-going to naples for the 12th night, will check out sorrento and amalfi coast but mostly to get dinner at taverna estia.
-booked a spot in bologna for a week from the 13th through 20th to serve as home base. doing a small group wine tour and def want to go to modena.
-going to venice to knock on casa artom to go to le calendre in padua which is supposed to be super dope.
Villa D'Este in Tivoli is an easy day or half-day trip from Rome

when we went to Italy, we really liked Cinqua Terre. it might be a little out of the way though...

Casa Artom is having a big 50th anniversary party from May 18 - 20, so they might not be real excited to see you on May 21. But maybe they will.

My wife is a Casa Artom alum and we're planning to be in Venice in June and stop by for a quick visit.

Back