• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trip to Italy

Also going to Italy around the same time you are Appetite including Bologna at that time. We have some things planned in Tuscany for a wedding (wife's college roommate for a couple years at Wake) but largely are just winging it from there. What could go wrong? Absolutely nothing.

We've got a couple VIP wine tours set up in Tuscany through co workers so that's gonna be a blast.

aight -- looking for some recos (esp. hidden gems) to fill in the time (have a couple open days at the moment) will provide a review on the food if i'm not lazy:

-arrive may 10th in rome, staying there until the 12th. dinner at pulejo
-going to naples for the 12th night, will check out sorrento and amalfi coast but mostly to get dinner at taverna estia.
-booked a spot in bologna for a week from the 13th through 20th to serve as home base. doing a small group wine tour and def want to go to modena.
-going to venice to knock on casa artom to go to le calendre in padua which is supposed to be super dope.
-staying in florence for a night, dinner at borgo san jacopo
-going to cortona for a night
-last three nights in lake como, just outside varenna in perledo
If you are gonna be in Bologna and possibly Modena, you need to make a stop at Parma. Awesome foodie town.

Just got back from ten days of driving around Sicily. Our trip ended in beautiful Taormina. Great time. Sicily is a fascinating place with a colorful history, including several Godfather shooting locations in the shadow of Etna.

What’s the general consensus of Naples? It’s Italy’s 3rd largest city and pizza was invented here and appears to be gateway to Amalfi coast.

A buddy of mine told me all the bad things I have heard about the city are wrong and it’s a pretty cool place albeit a little tough around the edges.

Leave next Sunday. 10 nights counting the one spent on the plane.

Fly into Milan
2 nights in Parma. Doing a prosciutto and parmigiano tour

6 nights at Montestigliano, a villa outside Siena. Will do day trips to Siena, Florence, Montalcino, Montepulciano, San Gmigiano

Staying at Milan airport hotel last night. Might stop in Modena on way home.

Also going to Italy around the same time you are Appetite including Bologna at that time. We have some things planned in Tuscany for a wedding (wife's college roommate for a couple years at Wake) but largely are just winging it from there. What could go wrong? Absolutely nothing.

We've got a couple VIP wine tours set up in Tuscany through co workers so that's gonna be a blast.
Any good winery recs? Did you do any Brunello joints?

What’s the general consensus of Naples? It’s Italy’s 3rd largest city and pizza was invented here and appears to be gateway to Amalfi coast.

A buddy of mine told me all the bad things I have heard about the city are wrong and it’s a pretty cool place albeit a little tough around the edges.

kinda depends on what you are looking for. i didn't spent too much time in naples but overall enjoyed it -- it feels like a real city. got pizza here at the recommendation of our airbnb host which was good: https://www.pizzeriadaattilio.com/

the amafli coast was not my favorite personally because of how tourism-centric it is (ravello was the one place that was okay), but i know a lot of people really love it there. (i was told sorrento was less touristy but i disagree).

we did a wine tour through this which was dope despite the sketchy sounding name: https://www.tuscan-wine-tours.com/

we did some other planned excursion type stuff and this one was the best.

i would also recommend e-biking around tuscany, there are tons of rental places.

I had the best pizza in Milan but have no idea what the place was called. It was near the InnSide hotel but man that was some amazing pizza.

I had the best pizza in Milan but have no idea what the place was called. It was near the InnSide hotel but man that was some amazing pizza.
I haven’t been to Milan in about ten years but I remember two "oddly" named places that were good- One was something like Tequila or La Tequila. Another was basically storefront taqueria with Tomato (Tomate) in name

I've been in Florence all week for work and return home Monday. En route to a Sassuolo - Bologna match now. I have one final day tomorrow - what should I do for a day trip? Siena? Bologna? San Gimignano?
Bologna was cool. We spent like 3 days there. They have a bunch of porticos and dope food. Never seen a city that felt like this one.

Bologna was cool. We spent like 3 days there. They have a bunch of porticos and dope food. Never seen a city that felt like this one.
Second this. Bologna is great spot to visit. Really cool university town vibe and the food is phenomenal.

Any good winery recs? Did you do any Brunello joints?
Two Brunello tours, Mate-very small family owned winery, people are wonderful, still by a supply from them every year, Brunello’s are bright with strong hint of cherries.
Altisino-Larger winery with nice tour and tasting, have very highly regarded Brunello’s and supposedly the premier vineyard for Sangiovese Grosso in the region- Montessoli- they usually bottle a single vineyard Montessoli Brunello which is usually fabulous.

Kind of a weird question, but where's the best spot in Rome to load up on 10+ bottles of wine before boarding a cruise? It's my understanding that each adult can carry one bottle of wine on board, so we plan to load up before setting sail.

My wife and I did our honeymoon in Italy but just ordered the house red everywhere we went, so I don't really have a specific bottle in mind.

Back