• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

True Detective on HBO

Agree that Vaughn just can't pull off genuine acting dialogue. There are so many other options for who could have been better in that role than him.

I'm usually pretty critical of this stuff but I don't mind the acting or the vibe so far. Everyone is dark as hell, only coming out of their wooden, broken funk for a brief moment of rage or humor before retreating back. I don't remember everyone being sold on Rust and Martin right off the bat either. Farrell and McAdams are much better than I thought they'd be. Doubt this iteration will rise to the heights of the last, but I'm pleasantly surprised so far.

After watching the second episode a second time, Farrell is dead and I think VV set him up.

The only thing that makes me think he survived is in the preview for the next episode his boss says something like "nobody shoots one of my guys."

I imagine it would have been nobody kills one of his cops if he were dead.

I am still waiting on the season 2 surprise mega tatties

Man, I'm having a tough time with these first two episodes. It borders on unwatchable/unlistenable for way too long -- some really cringe-worthy dialogue. Though I bet if it was Farrell/Vaughn in the first one I would have thought the same thing. These guys just don't have the chops of Harrelson/McConaughey and the writing and direction has been exposed for it. I'm still intrigued.

This. I think that the writer kind of lucked out with S1 and there was suddenly all this pressure for a S2. This one feels and SOUNDS more like a noir at times. The dialogue goes beyond the weirdness of S1 into just stilted areas. It isn't that VV is bad-- the dialogue sucks.

No one has mentioned the Conway Twitty impersonator yet?

These first three eps have been brutal except for the end of the 2nd one, which was apparently bogus. I mean, I am struggling to get through the hour that feels like 2 hours. Things need to pick up in a big way. The backstories on these characters are not the least bit intriguing to me.

and taylor kitsch's thing, i dont get why he was so pissed at his former lover for even mentioning. and disappointing that his scene where he went to his gun while pointing was for that. From season previews I thought it was going to be some badass scene where he was in trouble.

This season might just be above my head, but I'm struggling to maintain interest in the story. It seems like every time Vince Vaughn has a scene I have little to no idea what he's talking about / referring to and that gets pretty frustrating. I should probably go back and watch the first few episodes again, but it doesn't seem like that should be necessary just to figure out wtf is going on. Also, did anything actually happen in the episode last night? It seemed like a lot of our inklings were reinforced (Velcoro isn't dead, kitch's character is in the closet) but I'm not sure I know anything now that I didn't know before the episode started.

Probably just not "getting it" at this point, and I'll stick around, but it's been pretty meh so far.

So far from what I've read here and other places I'm glad I didn't boost my Fios package and put HBO back on. Sounds like True Detective Woody/Matt was a one hit wonder. If season 2 does a huge 180 I'll go back and binge a little but it's nearly halfway through and being universally panned.

Back