• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

True Detective on HBO

I've laughed once in three hours of television. I know it's a haunting drama but I need some clever comic relief once in a while or I'm going to get bored and tired.

This may be the single worst criticism of a tv show I’ve ever read on these boards and that’s a pretty high bar. C’mon man.

Yeah, definitely agree that the chemistry between the two is, errr, a bit stiff, and it's partly just the characters themselves.

Stephen Dorffs character made a pretty good dick joke in episode 3.

-How are you 40 years old and still talking about your dick?

-I dont know, it just keeps coming up.

I get it's dark TV. I love it. I grew up in a town of 7,500 that resembles the backdrops in seasons 1&3 and I am weirdly nostalgic when I see those scenes. We had some dark stuff happen back then. I was even chased through some woods on an undeveloped parcel in the middle of town by a man in overalls and a burlap bag mask. I was 11. He grabbed me once but I got free and broke cover into a neighborhood screaming with torn clothes. They never caught him of course.

There are some scary people in this world.

My point is I miss the clever exchanges between Marty and Rust that resulted in humor even though that dialogue had a larger underlying purpose concerning the characters.

That kind of dialogue is missing for the most part in this rendition, so far.

Brangus gets his wish with the line about Mercury

Dialogue was much better overall. Better balance between clever quips and the dark stuff. Loved it. Much better writing in Episode 4. The ending....damn.

Plus trash man has physical fitness skills. He stayed in shape after 'Nam.

I'm enjoying this season so far. One thing I dig about it is that it doesn't throw a new red-herring at you every episode. Like, at this point, I have no idea who did it. Not even sure we've met the person(s) yet.

It is funny that they could absolutely kill it with the old man makeup on Mahershala Ali, but the young man wig on Stephen Dorff is the worst wig ever.

I haven't watched any of it yet, but David Milch, who did Deadwood, co-wrote ep. 4.

I keep falling asleep.

Lady who plays Mehershala's wife is hot.

Plus trash man has physical fitness skills. He stayed in shape after 'Nam.

Seriously, the dude hurdled the barbed wire fence like it was nothing and sprinted balls out for what appeared to be like a half mile. With his size and those gifts, surprised he couldn't catch on as like a 2nd-string TE for the Saints or something. Could have been a nice weapon for Archie Manning.

Are they teasing a Season 1 and Season 3 crossover? The documentary lady shows old Ali a picture of rust and marty on her computer. Either at the end of the episode or in the build up for next week.

So the images that Martin sees, most are ‘Nam kills. Anyone else notice the white CIA looking guy in the back? I wonder if that is a guy he has yet to kill...

Are they teasing a Season 1 and Season 3 crossover? The documentary lady shows old Ali a picture of rust and marty on her computer. Either at the end of the episode or in the build up for next week.

No idea but it's at 0:18 of this video

I fall asleep mid-episode every week. So does the wife. I'm trying to like it and I feel like I'm supposed to, but there's just too much sleepy dialogue. This week is the first episode ending cliffhanger that actually felt like one. I will keep watching, but I'm really disappointed in this season. Heck, I prefer last season.

So the images that Martin sees, most are ‘Nam kills. Anyone else notice the white CIA looking guy in the back? I wonder if that is a guy he has yet to kill...

I thought it looked like Dorff with his head down.

the loooooong scene in the restaurant was off the charts boring.

I'm enjoying this season so far. One thing I dig about it is that it doesn't throw a new red-herring at you every episode. Like, at this point, I have no idea who did it. Not even sure we've met the person(s) yet.

It is funny that they could absolutely kill it with the old man makeup on Mahershala Ali, but the young man wig on Stephen Dorff is the worst wig ever.

Did you watch the Americans? Those wigs were incredibly bad.

Surprised by all the hate. I’m really enjoying this season

For those of you falling asleep mid episode, you should invest in a DVR and watch when you’re not so tired.

The last scene between Dorff and Ali as old men was intense and the acting was about as good as it gets. The fact Hays is losing his memory is a horror show all its own.

I'm really liking this season. The tension is building and I hope the last three episodes can deliver.

Back