• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

True Detective on HBO

The last scene between Dorff and Ali as old men was intense and the acting was about as good as it gets. The fact Hays is losing his memory is a horror show all its own.

I'm really liking this season. The tension is building and I hope the last three episodes can deliver.

Absolutely fantastic scene. The two actors killed it.

The end of episode 6 was creepy and awesome, but overall I'm having a hard time paying attention. The plot is too similar to season 1. The episodes are so disjointed with the three timelines I have to watch YouTube episode summaries after each episode, which I didn't have to do in Season 1. Maybe I'm dozing off during the episodes lol. Also, Ali MUMBLES his dialogue. He's very hard to understand, even in the younger timelines. In the old timeline he should have subtitles.

A lack of clever comments and comic relief made Episode 6 a bore overall, except for the last 5 minutes.

I'll finish the last two but it's been a disappointing season. Doesn't hold a candle to season 1. To be fair, maybe nothing ever will, but this doesn't come close.

Still in, but man that last episode had some cringe-inducing scenes. The scene where Hays is in bed with his wife and is all, "I don't ever look back. Never. Just keep on looking ahead. Yep. I will never look back, even when I'm an old man." That was some of the most on-the-nose shit ever. 2nd cringe scene is where the Dad creeps around the police station at the exact same moment the other detectives are discussing the case. Wow, what amazing timing! Finally, the scene where the wife is talking at the book reading and One Eyed Willie comes in and starts yelling at her in front of everyone. Anyway, I've liked the season, intrigued for the last 2 episodes, but those scenes were groaners.

Still in, but man that last episode had some cringe-inducing scenes. The scene where Hays is in bed with his wife and is all, "I don't ever look back. Never. Just keep on looking ahead. Yep. I will never look back, even when I'm an old man." That was some of the most on-the-nose shit ever. 2nd cringe scene is where the Dad creeps around the police station at the exact same moment the other detectives are discussing the case. Wow, what amazing timing! Finally, the scene where the wife is talking at the book reading and One Eyed Willie comes in and starts yelling at her in front of everyone. Anyway, I've liked the season, intrigued for the last 2 episodes, but those scenes were groaners.

Yeah funny they didn't learn to close the door to the war room while working after the first time Dad drifted in and had a freakout. Agree that was lazy writing.

My wife and I bailed last week. We tried to like it, but we kept dozing off. Literally. I too can't understand what Ali is saying half the time and they just spend too much time on he and the wife's relationship. I'm sure there's a reason, but they lost me trying to get there.

Yeah, pacing is kinda rough this season. There just aren't enough developments in the story each episode.

The low mumbling from Ali is killing me as well. I'll finish but not like looking forward to it every week like season 1.

Also no good nudity at all which is a killer.

Yeah, this episode was a miss for me. I have been enjoying the season quite a bit too. The dad in the police station was a ‘for fucks sake’ moment for sure. Just misse the mark this week.

I thought the lack of nude scenes and the off camera "sex" was related to the restrictions of Ali's religion?

I haven't watched any of this season, but I guess the consensus is Pizzolato's a fraud?

He still owes us money for items he checked out and never returned when he was here. Lame.

Episodes 3-6 pretty good for different reasons.

Despite the mumbling, what Ali is saying to his wife, and their dialogue, is so on point. Usually I say "too much talking" in general, but when he says "you are making up your own..." stories or narrative about what I am actually doing in this house, right after she says "you're here, but it's like you cannot breathe..." some of that is really good stuff. And I usually hate that marital or couples dialogue.

Liking this season, building to a solid finish. End of Episode 6 definitely had me going oooohhhhhh.....

Rotten tomatoes says: Season 1 87% Fresh; Season 2 64%; Season 3 84%.

I'd disagree slightly and go with something like this:

Season 1: A+ (99%)
Season 2: C- (45%)
Season 3: B, maybe B+ depends on how it ends (80% maybe higher)

I agree with those grades. I like this season compared to what else is on TV. Season 1 was the best thing ever, and it's not really fair to compare them.

Don't get the hate. Think it's been a good season, maybe a little slow at times but that's it. Great ending last week. Looking forward to the last two eps and then the countdown to thrones begins.

Closed captioning greatly enhances this show.

I watch most shows now with the CC on- it really makes a difference especially when dogs are barking, the dishwasher is running, british accents etc.

I agree with those grades. I like this season compared to what else is on TV. Season 1 was the best thing ever, and it's not really fair to compare them.

I dug Season 1 but defs can't get on board with the idea that it was the best thing ever.

Back