• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump Indicted

Lawyer folks, what does Smith removing Trumps March trial from the docket mean?

Lawyer folks, what does Smith removing Trumps March trial from the docket mean?

Former president Donald Trump’s March 4 trial date on charges of plotting to overturn the results of the 2020 election has been dropped from the public calendar of the federal court in Washington, a sign of what has long been anticipated — that his claim of presidential immunity from criminal prosecution would delay his trial while it remains on appeal.

The change did not appear on the official criminal case docket before U.S. District Judge Tanya S. Chutkan, who has made clear since Trump filed his appeal on Dec. 7 that all trial deadlines would be suspended while he challenges the case. On appeal, Trump is arguing that the government does not have authority under the Constitution to bring charges against him for actions he took while president after the 2020 election through the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol attack, when he attempted to prevent Congress from confirming Joe Biden’s election victory.

A delay in the D.C. case makes it increasingly likely that the first of Trump’s four criminal trials could be held this spring in Manhattan on New York state charges of business fraud in connection with hush money payments during the 2016 election. That trial has nominally been set for March 25, but the court in that case has signaled deference to Trump’s federal election subversion case. New York Supreme Court Justice Juan Merchan has scheduled a pretrial hearing in two weeks — Feb. 15 — and is expected to decide after that if the trial will go forward as planned.

Ah, so it's really the logical follow up to the immunity appeal from a month ago.

Going for the EGOT after it all blows up and they produce the story?

Maybe it's just EGO

Why on earth did Willis introduce this unnecessary drama into what was already going to be a crazy case?

Can someone explain why they hired an outside prosecutor? Even if it was good move, they didn’t have to hire her boyfriend.

And I don’t understand what took her so long to acknowledge it. She should have done an interview and owned it as soon as it came out. Give her side of the story. Maybe his firm is the best in the business and they fell in love while working together. If it’s a sympathetic story, it just falls by the wayside and neutralizes the issue. Instead it festered.

Why on earth did Willis introduce this unnecessary drama into what was already going to be a crazy case?

Can someone explain why they hired an outside prosecutor? Even if it was good move, they didn’t have to hire her boyfriend.

this, so much this! we knew this was going to be a circus, why didn't anyone do diligence to make sure the prosecutor didn't have this BS in the closet?

fucking unbelievable...

Hiring a special prosecutor (or, multiple prosecutors as Willis did here) for something this complex wasn’t a bad move (especially since the DA’s office already had the YSL RICO case going on as well). You can quibble about his qualifications, but for the amount of work for the lead prosecutor, at only $250/hour with an hours cap, and all of the ridiculous shit that is going to come from the right, I think getting someone with felony trial experience, management experience, and judicial experience is pretty solid. But getting into a relationship with the person you hired was about as bad of a decision as Willis could have made. Waiting this long to respond directly to the allegations was also a big mistake.

From a legal perspective, I still think there’s very, very little basis to disqualify Willis or Wade and absolutely no basis to set aside any of the indictments, but it’s a fucking dumbass unforced error that pours fuel on the fire for people like Gym Jordan and the GOP state legislature.

And I’m sure she thought about it from a legal perspective, not the broader ramifications.

Willis and Wade are attractive adults in a consenting relationship. If they had made it their story instead of Trump’s complaint, it could have helped them in the public eye.

So it's nothing illegal and shouldn't be, but it just feeeeeeeeels wrong to one side. Sounds par for this course.

So essentially it's not illegal and shouldn't be, but it just feeeeeeeeels wrong. Sounds par for this course.

Which means it’s just as bad as all the super illegal stuff Trump and his cronies did.

Which means it’s just as bad as all the super illegal stuff Trump and his cronies did.
You’re supposed to be beyond reproach. She covered it up and denied it, which means she knew it was wrong. This could have been her ticket to the Governor’s office so she didn’t want to let it go, when she should have months ago.

It’s seems that it is only wrong when Dems or prosecutors against tRump do it…despite him doing it documentedly a minimum of four times to all his wives.

But this is different…?

Not to mention the Epstein documented stuff…again doesn’t seem to matter for tRump

You’re supposed to be beyond reproach. She covered it up and denied it, which means she knew it was wrong. This could have been her ticket to the Governor’s office so she didn’t want to let it go, when she should have months ago.
What was the cover up?

And I’m sure she thought about it from a legal perspective, not the broader ramifications.

Willis and Wade are attractive adults in a consenting relationship. If they had made it their story instead of Trump’s complaint, it could have helped them in the public eye.
Surely you don't mean that Democrats suck (to the point of incompetence) at messaging and public relations activities? Never! It's one of the reasons why I still worry that Trump might actually win in November.

I haven’t followed this closely. I know Trump’s people made the accusation and the judge gave her until Feb 2 to respond and she responded.

Back