• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump Indicted

I wish it were faster, but my understanding is they wanted to agree on all points because they knew it would be appealed.
Next appeal will be to have Circuit Court hear it en banc. I don't think the Cirvuit Court will do that. But I think Trump has 30 days to ask. I suspect Trump takes 29+ days to file.

Next appeal will be to have Circuit Court hear it en banc. I don't think the Cirvuit Court will do that. But I think Trump has 30 days to ask. I suspect Trump takes 29+ days to file.
The order says filing for a rehearing en banc doesn’t stay anything. The only way to keep things on hold is to appeal to SCOTUS by next Monday. He can ask for a rehearing en banc, but based on the decision, I’d imagine there’s virtually no way that happens and since asking for it doesn’t postpone anything, I don’t think they even bother.

The order says filing for a rehearing en banc doesn’t stay anything. The only way to keep things on hold is to appeal to SCOTUS by next Monday. He can ask for a rehearing en banc, but based on the decision, I’d imagine there’s virtually no way that happens and since asking for it doesn’t postpone anything, I don’t think they even bother.
The lack of stay pending appeal for en banc hearing by the circuit Court was a surprise. But in a good way.

Just listened to the last hour or so of the Atlanta DA hearing...riveting stuff it is not.

So what happens if she’s kicked off the case? Can they just get an asst DA or something.

Just listened to the last hour or so of the Atlanta DA hearing...riveting stuff it is not.
Yesterday was high drama. Not necessarily high legal relevance, but high drama. This afternoon could get nasty again with Wade’s former law partner who clearly does not want to be there.
So what happens if she’s kicked off the case? Can they just get an asst DA or something.
The whole DA’s office is disqualified. The Prosecuting Attorneys’ Council of Georgia would appoint a new prosecutor who could choose to do any number of things - continue prosecuting as is, dropping some or all of the charges, bringing additional charges, etc. It could take a significant amount of time to appoint a new prosecutor, so it would be a huge win for Trump in terms of wanting to delay, delay, delay.

Yesterday was high drama. Not necessarily high legal relevance, but high drama. This afternoon could get nasty again with Wade’s former law partner who clearly does not want to be there.

The whole DA’s office is disqualified. The Prosecuting Attorneys’ Council of Georgia would appoint a new prosecutor who could choose to do any number of things - continue prosecuting as is, dropping some or all of the charges, bringing additional charges, etc. It could take a significant amount of time to appoint a new prosecutor, so it would be a huge win for Trump in terms of wanting to delay, delay, delay.
what do you put the odds at a DQ of happening?

They could conceivably send this thing back to a non-tainted grand jury.

Not a lot of testimony happening...lawyers trying like hell to compel or block the reluctant witness's testimony.

If the judge rules he must answer...

what do you put the odds at a DQ of happening?
After yesterday I would have said slim, but the former law partner could be damming. It’s going to be a lot of fits and starts though, because this is going to be objection after objection and lot about evidentiary rules. Regardless of the evidence that comes out today, though, I still don’t think there is anything that would get the indictments thrown out.

After yesterday I would have said slim, but the former law partner could be damming. It’s going to be a lot of fits and starts though, because this is going to be objection after objection and lot about evidentiary rules. Regardless of the evidence that comes out today, though, I still don’t think there is anything that would get the indictments thrown out.

If Wade and Willis are shown convincingly to be lying about the timing of their romantic relationship...? Seems they'd be in trouble with this judge/court, but how would that affect the Trump case?

Hypothetically, if they had a prior romantic relationship, would that validate the accusations against the DA that she's prosecuting Trump for personal financial gain?

If Wade and Willis are shown convincingly to be lying about the timing of their romantic relationship...? Seems they'd be in trouble with this judge/court, but how would that affect the Trump case?

Hypothetically, if they had a prior romantic relationship, would that validate the accusations against the DA that she's prosecuting Trump for personal financial gain?
I’m very, very far from an expert on anything remotely in this sphere, but having a prosecutor commit perjury during the course of a prosecution seems like a decent rationale for having the prosecutor disqualified to me. But yeah, the argument is that appointing someone you’re already in a relationship is more clearly for your financial gain. I can see the argument, but I don’t think that, in and of itself, would be a slam dunk.

Thx.

It's disappointing the DA didn't consider the potential for this kind of side show to detract from the case against Trump and not hire Wade to be part of the case if they had a prior romantic relationship. Or avoid developing one subsequently (though this seems potentially less but still problematic...?).

You can pay me and my wife to work long hours but you better believe some of those billed hours were straight up shenanigans.

Back