• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump Indicted

Time is not on our side, so this is unquestionably a positive development.

On a somewhat related subject, the Dems should have voted unanimously for Kavanaugh and applauded him as a brilliant legal scholar. They weren't going to prevent him from being confirmed. Although we did get some solid beer memes out of it.

Time is not on our side, so this is unquestionably a positive development.

On a somewhat related subject, the Dems should have voted unanimously for Kavanaugh and applauded him as a brilliant legal scholar. They weren't going to prevent him from being confirmed. Although we did get some solid beer memes out of it.
Kav still goes to fed society events, so aintnothingonnahappen.gif

I don't think Roberts would want to be known as the Chief Justice who gave away courts power over the president. The three liberals will be there as well. Roberts needs to persuade only one of the other five to join him. I see Kavanaugh or Gorsuch as the two most likely to go against Trump to maintain jurisdiction of the courts over the president.

My Master's thesis was on Roberts as an institutionalist. I think this is his most important task yet and he will respond as such.

My Master's thesis was on Roberts as an institutionalist. I think this is his most important task yet and he will respond as such.
Is there at least one more Justice who would support the institution of the Supreme Court over Trump loyalty?

K, Gorsuch and Barrett all somewhat likely to vote with Roberts. In past times of extreme overreach (Nixon, best example) - and this is beyond that, the Court has is modern day rallied. FDR with the camps, Lincoln in the War, not so much. But given the non-war time atmosphere, I see a 7-2 no for Trump as likely.

To be super safe. There is a reason the left of center and left are calling Thomas to recuse. 4-4 means no immunity.

I can't wait to read the pretzel logic of Thomas and Alito in a 7-2 decision.

Absolutely do not trust Gorsuch or Barrett and Thomas won't recuse because he's a soulless demon. All about Kav.

It is pretty fucking wild that 3 people appointed to the court by Trump and one whose wife was deeply involved with the coup plot get 4 out of 9 votes to decide if Trump can stand trial for his actions.

It is pretty fucking wild that 3 people appointed to the court by Trump and one whose wife was deeply involved with the coup plot get 4 out of 9 votes to decide if Trump can stand trial for his actions.
It's always been the point though right?

It's absolutely insane. But no more insane than a serial rapist/criminal who tried to overthrow our democracy and who also happens to be a dumbass and was already the worst President we've ever had currently leading in the polls. We just happen to have a lot of evil pieces of shit who pretend to be Christians in this country and a bad system - I guess we deserve what we get.

Does John Roberts want to retire in the next four years? Because he can help write his ticket out by helping Trump.

Does John Roberts want to retire in the next four years? Because he can help write his ticket out by helping Trump.
He was born in 1955. So he's 68. He was confirmed as Chief Justice in 2005. So in 2025 he will be 70 years old and have served 20 years as chief justice. At that point he will have served longer than all but three Chief Justices.

John Marshall (34 years)
Roger Taney ( 28 years)
Melville Fuller (22 years)

He would pass Fuller before the end of the next presidential term.

It's absolutely insane. But no more insane than a serial rapist/criminal who tried to overthrow our democracy and who also happens to be a dumbass and was already the worst President we've ever had currently leading in the polls. We just happen to have a lot of evil pieces of shit who pretend to be Christians in this country and a bad system - I guess we deserve what we get.
At this point are they pretending to be Christians? Pretty sure maga is what Christianity has become.

He was born in 1955. So he's 68. He was confirmed as Chief Justice in 2005. So in 2025 he will be 70 years old and have served 20 years as chief justice. At that point he will have served longer than all but three Chief Justices.

John Marshall (34 years)
Roger Taney ( 28 years)
Melville Fuller (22 years)

He would pass Fuller before the end of the next presidential term.
There's no way he retires under a Democrat administration. I think Alito and Thomas would retire within a year or two if Trump wins and Republicans take over the Senate.

Back