• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump talks of ramping up war on drugs. Libertarians still feeling good about Trump?

They should legalize weed and start a government grown crop...start working on the enormous debt that it looks like trump will put us in with the wall and tax cuts.

I think legalizing blow, weed, and psychedelic drugs while cracking down on opiate prescriptions, and so called opiate mills would solve most problems.

Plus we need better regulations on pharma companies who are manufacturing opiates.

Are you somehow under the impression that we're not already in enormous debt?

I know we have debt, but Trump will talk that that debt down not near nothing. This will help with the tremendous debt that Trump is going to accrue

Are you somehow under the impression that we're not already in enormous debt?

LOL. It's amazing how conservatives turn on a dime about debt when a Pub is in the White House.

I think legalizing blow, weed, and psychedelic drugs while cracking down on opiate prescriptions, and so called opiate mills would solve most problems.

Plus we need better regulations on pharma companies who are manufacturing opiates.

This sounds like a good plan, but you have to convince Republicans that it's a good idea.

Legalization and/or decriminalization can be tricky policy-wise, though: how do you think the government should address treatment for addiction and abuse?

Less regulation of people?

More regulation of businesses?

You're going to lose your conservative cred, catamount.

Good post. That's why it's hard to believe young BKF ever fought for civil rights because he sounds like the people he supposedly opposed.

They use policy to legally and brutally respond to people fighting for their rights.

Absolutely. This is why phrases like "the law and order candidate" and "make America great again" are controversial. Like Donald's EO's, they're facially neutral but dripping with intended undertones. Another fun one is "the war on drugs," someone else can look up the Reagan relationship with that and it's underlying belief structure.

There was a panel of discussions with random voters that NPR conducted in the weeks after the election where they'd have two Clinton supporters and two Donald supporters or a random Bernie/Stein/Cruz supporter too to chat about their feelings after the election. There were a couple segments that really stood out to me, including one where a Clinton supporter said something to the effect of: "I don't understand the make America great again part. When people say that, as a minority, I wonder when they're talking about America being great - because for a large portion of that time period, I didn't have equal rights. Do you understand why that part scares me?" And one of the Donald candidates actually said "I hadn't thought of that before, that makes me rethink the use of that phrase." Those are the types of conversations we need to be having. It doesn't always need to be about language and the words we use, but it sure as hell needs to be the focus at least some of the time.

Last edited:
LOL. It's amazing how conservatives turn on a dime about debt when a Pub is in the White House.

Uh, no. Didn't think Bush was a good prez for the Iraq war and the debt he introduced. Just thought that statement was bizarre. Also am for decriminalizing weed but don't know about Coke, meth, etc. definitely not heroin

Sessions: Changes coming to policies on drug charges

Attorney General Jeff Sessions is signaling that the Trump administration plans to make changes to policies the Obama administration implemented to seek less serious charges in some drug cases.

In a memo sent to federal prosecutors nationwide Wednesday, Sessions called on them to crack down on violent crime. Most surely already view that as a core part of their duties.

However, another passage in the directive says changes in Justice Department charging policies are in the offing.

"I encourage you to employ the full complement of federal law to address the problem of violent crime in your district," Sessions wrote. "Further guidance and support in executing this priority — including an updated memo on charging for all criminal cases— will be forthcoming."

Legal experts said the language indicates that Sessions is planning to make significant revisions to policies Attorney General Eric Holder issued in 2010 backing away from prior directions that prosecutors seek the most serious viable charges in every case and in 2013 calling for prosecutors to avoid seeking mandatory minimum sentences in some cases by leaving the quantity of drugs seized out of charging documents.

"My take is the Holder memo is toast," said Ohio State University law professor Doug Berman. "Holder said you don't have to charge mandatory minimums and it looks like they're going to say, 'Oh, yes, you do have to.'"

http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the-radar/2017/03/sessions-drug-charges-235853

So the wall is going to stop Oxy, meth, etc.?

lol the wall is a major piece is being able to control who / what is coming into the country. It will need to be policed and assisted with technology.
There will always be drugs in society but mitigating it as much as you can is a responsibility of the US govt as well as creating a door where coming into the US is done legally.

Big wall less money to the coast guard, if that's the case then a complete wash on the drug angle.

https://www.rt.com/usa/379930-illegal-border-crossings-down/

imagine how much lower this would be with a big beautiful wall.

and ITC you can't believe that a wall and a comprehensive approach will not be effective.

effective is a relative term, of course. will it be effective at stopping things like immigrants and some drugs? maybe, probably. will those results be effective in improving the United States' fortunes (net + ROI)? maybe, maybe not

effective is a relative term, of course. will it be effective at stopping things like immigrants and some drugs? maybe, probably. will those results be effective in improving the United States' fortunes (net + ROI)? maybe, maybe not

does something need to be done? yes - Has anything been done? no - Is the current system w/ Obama and Bush working ? No

i really don't think a wall in arizona is going to alleviate the heroin problem in York, PA but i think the prescription drug discussion is a dumb diversion

i really don't think a wall in arizona is going to alleviate the heroin problem in York, PA but i think the prescription drug discussion is a dumb diversion

what do you think will?

Back