• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tuition Raised/Best Value Award

To be fair, I've yet to meet someone at Wake who is paying full price for their education here.

There are numerous students who are paying more than full price once you factor in the interest that will accrue on their college loans.

For 58k/yr, students really should be encouraged to pick a degree that directly links to a specific job field.

Would be terrible for Wake if students did that.

Business
Computer Science
Perhaps Bio/Chem/Physics

What else does Wake have that links DIRECTLY to a job field. Don't tell me communications.

There are numerous students who are paying more than full price once you factor in the interest that will accrue on their college loans.

True, I'm taking a loan out. It's not much though, the rest of the aid makes it affordable.

I was mainly talking about how all the Freshmen I've met seem to have generous financial aid packages. Even an international student got aid, and we talked about how terrible the scholarship opportunities for international students are.

Hopefully Bzzz is the only parent paying the full rack rate.

True, I'm taking a loan out. It's not much though, the rest of the aid makes it affordable.

I was mainly talking about how all the Freshmen I've met seem to have generous financial aid packages. Even an international student got aid, and we talked about how terrible the scholarship opportunities for international students are.

There are PLENTY of people paying full tuition at Wake. If a kid is driving a BMW or Benz, they aren't getting financial aid.

Private colleges are really expensive. Just the way it is for the time being until the education system experiences some type of correction. Paying a lot of money to go to Wake makes a hell of a lot more sense than paying a ton of money to send your kid to High Point or Campbell and those schools are still bringing in students.

According to the WFU website 39% of students at Wake are receiving Fin Aid with the avg. aid being about 35g. So paying full tuition is not an anomaly. Also as tuition goes up I doubt that aid is going up at the same rate so the cost is going up for everyone unless they have a full scholarship.

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Best meme on the internet hands down

To be fair, I've yet to meet someone at Wake who is paying full price for their education here.

I went from 99-03 and a 5th year masters. I knew the numbers when I was there, but my parents didn't come out of pocket for tuition at all, and I only ended up with about 35k in student loans.

I personally took out about 8k for spending money/playstation/entertainment center once I found out there was extra money for living expenses my Junior year and I had $6,500 accrued with $100 in the bank.

Nowadays, I can't figure out how that math worked out for the life of me, I certainly got no academic grants or scholarships.

Just a heads up. If tuition keeps increasing at its current rate of 3% a year it will be 90k in 12.3 years and in 25 years it will be 137k. Something has got to give eventually...

Just a heads up. If tuition keeps increasing at its current rate of 3% a year it will be 90k in 12.3 years and in 25 years it will be 137k. Something has got to give eventually...

That something will likely be the American Dollar

The fact of the matter is that for true high achievers, where you go to undergraduate flat out doesn't matter. vadtoy did her undergrad at Kansas (because she's from there and wanted 4 years in Allen Field House - seriously), she's now a leading nuclear expert on former Soviet states and works at the IAEA. My best friend went to Western Carolina and ECU, he's now a teaching doc and can pretty much write whatever salary he wants. Another of my good childhood friends went to App State, he's now managing a bunch of Ivy League kids at Goldman. And on, and on.

If you are going to spend a bunch of money on college, spend it on graduate school. Hell, do community college for 2 years, transfer to a state school for the last 2 and then spend big money on grad school. That's where you make serious connections, and where the curriculum subjects are advanced enough to really make a difference. The fact of the matter is that the material you study at the undergraduate level just isn't very difficult no matter where you go. Basic statistics, business principles, chemistry, english, world history and the like are pretty much completely codified by now.

Don't know any employer who looks at 'where you went to school' first. A diploma nowadays is a 'work permit'. Someone said, 'better college experience'. Give me a friggin break, what does that even mean?

What a joke to charge someone that much for education.

This hasn't been my experience. I can only speak to financial services, but being a "mediocre" student has put me and other Wake grads ahead of top students who went to solid public schools. Given that Wake has such a small enrollment it is ridiculous the number of Deacons we have, even just in my office, compared to big state schools.

The fact of the matter is that for true high achievers, where you go to undergraduate flat out doesn't matter. vadtoy did her undergrad at Kansas (because she's from there and wanted 4 years in Allen Field House - seriously), she's now a leading nuclear expert on former Soviet states and works at the IAEA. My best friend went to Western Carolina and ECU, he's now a teaching doc and can pretty much write whatever salary he wants. Another of my good childhood friends went to App State, he's now managing a bunch of Ivy League kids at Goldman. And on, and on.

If you are going to spend a bunch of money on college, spend it on graduate school. Hell, do community college for 2 years, transfer to a state school for the last 2 and then spend big money on grad school. That's where you make serious connections, and where the curriculum subjects are advanced enough to really make a difference. The fact of the matter is that the material you study at the undergraduate level just isn't very difficult no matter where you go. Basic statistics, business principles, chemistry, english, world history and the like are pretty much completely codified by now.

This is absolutely true
People that are high achievers are going to achieve...period. Doesn't matter where they went to school because these days pretty much all schools can offer the chance at a great education...40 years ago that wasn't the case (the difference between Wake and State is at Wake a much higher percentage of people choose and/or are forced to take advantage of that education).
Personally wake was probably the best choice for me because I definitely would've hidden in the crowd during undergrad if I'd gone to a big state school...I mean, hell, I tried to hide in the crowd at Wake, but the good thing about Wake was that it didn't work and I was forced to perform to a certain degree. Again, if i'm paying my own way I don't think it would've been worth it to pay full tuition. I've often thought, in retrospec, how much extra would I have been willing to pay, as a freshman, to go to wake if my parents had told me that they'd only cover state school tuition and I'd have to make up the difference between where ever I went and that. I'm guessing it would be in the 10-15K per year amount, but that's really tough to really say

#humblebrag

Holy crap. And I remember thinking $52k was ridiculous that that was 3 years ago. I know Wake is a great undergrad experience, but I could never justify it over sending my future kids to UNC and paying $15k a year or $35k a year if I don't live in NC.

Back