• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

TX Gov Orders TX State Guard to Monitor US Army Exercises/Prevent Martial Law

Greg Abbott is a fucking idiot. Sucks that his competition was that gold digging skank Wendy.

However if this is some part of a long term plan to round up all the Californians in ATX and deport them out of the state, I support it đź‘Ť

Jesus. Pure idiocy. There are stupid people everywhere, but it does seem that there's a high concentration of stupid people in Texas. Can't wait for a flaming hot ELC take on this.

My hot take is that they are nutjobs and not representative of the county at large. But they're better organized and motivated to make a stink at something like this because nobody else cares. If you have 1000 people and 90% of them don't give a shit, the 100 of them who do will show up and give a false impression. Shame on the governor for giving them more than lip service.

There's nothing to care about. You have 1000 and 90% of them have a proper read on the situation and 100 made up something to be upset about.

No. You suggested there is something to care about.

My hot take is that they are nutjobs and not representative of the county at large. But they're better organized and motivated to make a stink at something like this because nobody else cares. If you have 1000 people and 90% of them don't give a shit, the 100 of them who do will show up and give a false impression. Shame on the governor for giving them more than lip service.

but you think it's appropriate for State Senators to be representing themselves and our nation in such a way?

but maybe you're right; I could see Talleyrand being like "yo, @Austria, wanna debate the merits of the French Revolution?"

Last edited:
There are always going to be fringe lunatics and unfortunately some pols will pander to them to get elected, but it's infuriating that elected officials will actually respond to their loopy conspiracies while in office. There's zero chance that Abbott faces a credible primary challenger because he didn't protect Texans from the U.S. military.

No. You suggested there is something to care about.

Not sure where you think I'm suggesting that. Was it the part where I called them nutjobs or the part where I said shame on the governor? The only point where I even mentioned caring about anything was when I said that 90% of the people don't care. I thought the implication was pretty clear that they don't care because it's batshit crazy. I didn't ever say or imply that the 10% who are up in arms about this have reason to be up in arms. They're crazy.

but you think it's appropriate for State Senators to be representing themselves and our nation in such a way?

but maybe you're right; I could see Talleyrand being like "yo, @Austria, wanna debate the merits of the French Revolution?"

WTF? Do people ever read what I type? Where did I say it was "appropriate for State Senators to be representing themselves and our nation in such a way?" (FWIW, State Senators don't represent the nation, but the little portion of their state). Again, I said these people are nuts and the governor should be ashamed for catering to them.

There are always going to be fringe lunatics and unfortunately some pols will pander to them to get elected, but it's infuriating that elected officials will actually respond to their loopy conspiracies while in office. There's zero chance that Abbott faces a credible primary challenger because he didn't protect Texans from the U.S. military.

We are in agreement.

WTF? Do people ever read what I type? Where did I say it was "appropriate for State Senators to be representing themselves and our nation in such a way?" (FWIW, State Senators don't represent the nation, but the little portion of their state). Again, I said these people are nuts and the governor should be ashamed for catering to them.

You basically said "meh, not worth getting upset about". Maybe shouldn't have expected outright criticism but it's not a "meh" time, IMO

You basically said "meh, not worth getting upset about". Maybe shouldn't have expected outright criticism but it's not a "meh" time, IMO

I suppose not blowing a gasket must mean I'm meh about everything, even when I was clearly critical in my post. I should have given up long ago posting anything in here since I pretty much get pigeonholed into what people think I should say rather than what I actually say. This is new ground, though. I criticize a Republican governor, call the people he's catering to nutjobs, and apparently that's more meh.

I suppose not blowing a gasket must mean I'm meh about everything, even when I was clearly critical in my post. I should have given up long ago posting anything in here since I pretty much get pigeonholed into what people think I should say rather than what I actually say. This is new ground, though. I criticize a Republican governor, call the people he's catering to nutjobs, and apparently that's more meh.

meh

Somehow, ELC is right on this one. His post was totally fine. Not sure what the stink is about.

This is the one aspect I disagree with you on. If I see the Foreign Minister of the Al-Shabab province was screaming death to America, I would have no idea what he does, or who he can speak for. When a US Senator says blah,blah,blah the world listens and they have no idea what he/she does, or who he/she can speak for, they see US government representative says blah,blah,blah. They are saying idiotic things out of self-interest, but I don't think they realize the possible impact and irresponsibility of their actions.

Pretty much everything else I agree with you on.

a US Senator, yes. A State Senator, no. Sounds like we are thinking of two different things.

a US Senator, yes. A State Senator, no. Sounds like we are thinking of two different things.

I agree, but that is kind of my point. Overseas it plays as Senator. The of and from part are recognized by you, but I'd say most Americans would not notice that distinction let alone a foreigner speaking a different language who hasn't taken a US Civics class.

Last edited:

Sounds like the Religion of Peace.

Back