• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ty Makes The Front of Yahoo Sports' College B-Ball Page

I'm not sure I'd say I feel bad for Ty, but what a sad career he had here. The guy at least had the potential to be a solid player (he's 7 foot tall and appears coordinated enough to walk and chew gum), so it makes me wonder what's going on with him and if there are some issues we're not aware of.

Our biggest game changer? Ty Walker?

That Miami game was NOT a good game from him. Reggie Johnson dropped a career-high 25 on us, scoring on Walker at will, Ty having no chance to stop him outside of fouling him - including the final game-losing foul, gifting Miami the win.

Hurray, he had 4 blocks and made 4 layups. He also pulled down a pathetic 3 defensive rebounds in 30 minutes of playing time.

If there was ever a game where you could look at Ty's skills as a Junior and think, wow, that guy has developed absolutely nothing about his game in 3 years at Wake Forest - that was the game.

Reggie Johnson did most of his work on Carson that game, I remember specifically getting pissed that Carson was playing so shitty, and I had a pretty long rant about it on DS.

With the Haith headlines on there too, it makes that cover an All-Wake Related Sad Page.

Eh, I half watched/listened to the Miami game via ESPN360 while at work that night. I must have just seen the moments he played well. In any case, it definitely holds true in the other two games mentioned.

Do you actually disagree with the overall point of my post (that his natural ability gives him the ability to influence games when he plays well, but he somehow manages to never play well) or have you been conditioned by the boards to look for something/anything to disagree with?

settle down nancy

Reggie Johnson did most of his work on Carson that game, I remember specifically getting pissed that Carson was playing so shitty, and I had a pretty long rant about it on DS.

Carson only played 11 minutes that game. In those 11 minutes he was dominated by Reggie, that's certainly true.

Ty's strategy was to foul the crap out of Reggie, who went 9-12 from the line. To me, it looked like he'd given up trying to actually defend him, whereas Carson was trying to play him straight and just kept getting beat. Ty's strategy then gave away the game-winning free throws. Was he marginally better than Carson? Certainly. I'd hope so, he's a freaking junior and Carson was playing in his 9th ever ACC game.

What's better, a boxer who goes toe-to-toe with his opponent and gets knocked out, or the boxer who just bear-hugs relentlessly, delaying and avoiding any actual fighting and then lets the judges unanimously give him a loss?

Both options suck, but at least option A gives you a chance to improve.

Carson only played 11 minutes that game. In those 11 minutes he was dominated by Reggie, that's certainly true.

Ty's strategy was to foul the crap out of Reggie, who went 9-12 from the line. To me, it looked like he'd given up trying to actually defend him, whereas Carson was trying to play him straight and just kept getting beat. Ty's strategy then gave away the game-winning free throws. Was he marginally better than Carson? Certainly. I'd hope so, he's a freaking junior and Carson was playing in his 9th ever ACC game.

What's better, a boxer who goes toe-to-toe with his opponent and gets knocked out, or the boxer who just bear-hugs relentlessly, delaying and avoiding any actual fighting and then lets the judges unanimously give him a loss?

Both options suck, but at least option A gives you a chance to improve.

Reggie was/is an All ACC, NBA caliber big man who weighs 30 more pounds than a mediocre Ty Walker. Reggie was going to get his points, Ty just made him earn them on the line, instead of playing matador defense like Carson was doing.

Reggie was/is an All ACC, NBA caliber big man who weighs 30 more pounds than a mediocre Ty Walker. Reggie was going to get his points, Ty just made him earn them on the line, instead of playing matador defense like Carson was doing.

Career high.

Career high.

Are you assuming that he wouldn't have scored, if he hadn't been fouled? If so, why? Who was going to stop him? Nikita? We had two centers on our team and neither of them could guard a stop sign, but at least Ty Walker used his 5 fouls.

"Walker describes himself as a complete player."

A complete waste of a scholly so far. I still haven't seen anything make me think [Redacted] is the answer for us, but I do think he's at least going to recruit quality kids, instead of guys like Walker, Woods, Tabb, etc.

Are you assuming that he wouldn't have scored, if he hadn't been fouled? If so, why? Who was going to stop him? Nikita? We had two centers on our team and neither of them could guard a stop sign, but at least Ty Walker used his 5 fouls.

I'm simply saying you can't use the "Reggie's going to get his points" excuse as if Wake didn't give up his career high in a one point loss.

And I think you're trying to argue something I'm not even arguing. This isn't about Ty versus Carson. This is simply about Ty sucking huge donkey balls and wasting 3 years at Wake.

Carson played horribly that game, and he was limited to a third of Ty's minutes. Ty came in and played poorly as well, and we lost on his "I give up" foul. What's your point? That Ty and Carson were awful all year and we routinely had to pick our poison? That's pretty obvious. But for reasons I've already stated (besides what should be glaringly obvious to even casual basketball fans), Ty's transgressions are far more criminal, in every sense.

There's a reason he couldn't hold on to a starting position despite Carson's play.

If he spent as much time working on post moves as he does in the tattoo parlor he'd be an All-American.

burn_notice.jpg

I'm simply saying you can't use the "Reggie's going to get his points" excuse as if Wake didn't give up his career high in a one point loss.

And I think you're trying to argue something I'm not even arguing.

Walker has been a waste of a scholly, no one is disputing that. My disagreement with you is about that game specifically. As another poster said, I believe the Miami game was one of Ty's best games, terrible defense or no.

Moving on, does anyone know about Ty's status this year? I know that Tabb is gone, but I haven't heard anything about Walker.

This is still my favorite Ty Walker article of all time.
http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20080227/NEWS/802270402

This quote of his on page 4 is something that has stuck in my mind throughout his tenure here:
"You probably see on TV, MTV Cribs, everybody has these nice houses, basketball courts inside, outside, movie theaters, bowling alleys," he says. "I want to have all that in my house. ... I just want my house to be that big. I just want to yell out and hear my name echo for about five minutes. I've got a lot of things planned when I make it to the next level."

This is still my favorite Ty Walker article of all time.
http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20080227/NEWS/802270402

This quote of his on page 4 is something that has stuck in my mind throughout his tenure here:
"You probably see on TV, MTV Cribs, everybody has these nice houses, basketball courts inside, outside, movie theaters, bowling alleys," he says. "I want to have all that in my house. ... I just want my house to be that big. I just want to yell out and hear my name echo for about five minutes. I've got a lot of things planned when I make it to the next level."

I had no idea the YMCA Rec Leagues paid that well.

Back