• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ty Walker's Wake Forest Basketball Career is Over: Drugs are bad MMK

Maybe I'm just too tired to think, but what did Dan mean by this
"My question for anyone who maintains that Walker, having been given repeated chances, should not be held accountable for doing something he knows is wrong, then how does [Redacted] face those who remain steadfast in doing what is right?"

Is it just me, or is that sentence convoluted as hell?

I think what he's trying to say is this: If people are making excuses for Walker (they aren't), then how would they expect [Redacted] to treat those who don't do all of Ty's shit? But yeah, it's a convoluted sentence based on a really flawed premise.

Ty Walker's stats (credit given to 3 Fouls 0 Points for compiling them and sending them to me)
4 years, 70 games played
976 minutes played (13.9 avg)
224 points (3.2 avg). Four double-digit scoring games.
226 rebounds (3.2 avg). The only double-digit rebounding game in his career was this season vs. Wofford.
131 blocked shots (1.8 avg)

How can someone 7 feet tall with long arms only get 10 rebounds once? That's insane.

Lumping these individuals together is a simplistic approach which works well for those who dont want the facts to get in the way of a good story. The reality is that every one of those situations is unique with different underlying dynamics. No two are alike.

3 of the 5 were arrested and the other 2 were suspended for multiple violations. I mean, if by "unique and different underlying dynamics" you mean breaking and entering versus domestic abuse versus drunk driving then I guess you have a point.

It is not overly simplistic or unfair to lump those players together. It's accurate.

Maybe I'm just too tired to think, but what did Dan mean by this
"My question for anyone who maintains that Walker, having been given repeated chances, should not be held accountable for doing something he knows is wrong, then how does [Redacted] face those who remain steadfast in doing what is right?"

Is it just me, or is that sentence convoluted as hell?

Dan is not really all that good at his job, to be frank. It's a blog, but still. Dan's shortcomings are not about grammar, though it's a flag. Read Irish's article and then read 10 articles by Dan. Night and day. Dan is myopic and a drama-queen and those two don't mix well as a journalist. Some of a beat writer's job requires myopia, but Dan rarely sees the bigger picture ... without coming here first to find one.

No, everything is Dino's fault.

It doesn't matter if he didn't recruit him or if the transgressions happened two years after he left.

Oh come on, of course Dino recruited him, unless you believe that Skip never even told Dino who he was recruiting and never even asked Dino for his opinion on recruits. In which case even Skip did not see Dino as a potential heach coach.

And Ph, yes I'll acknowledge your point that Bzz had the chance and should have gotten rid of Ty as well, but whatever else the Buzz haters want to throw at Bzz, he most assuredly did NOT recruit Ty, Tony Woods, JTT, Ari or Melvin Tabb.

Ty Walker's stats (credit given to 3 Fouls 0 Points for compiling them and sending them to me)
4 years, 70 games played
976 minutes played (13.9 avg)
224 points (3.2 avg). Four double-digit scoring games.
226 rebounds (3.2 avg). The only double-digit rebounding game in his career was this season vs. Wofford.
131 blocked shots (1.8 avg)

I notice that you say "credit given" and not "thanks", which I totally understand. Those stats are depressing as hell. I also see you omitted my brief commentary: "wasted years."

Oh come on, of course Dino recruited him, unless you believe that Skip never even told Dino who he was recruiting and never even asked Dino for his opinion on recruits. In which case even Skip did not see Dino as a potential heach coach.

And Ph, yes I'll acknowledge your point that Bzz had the chance and should have gotten rid of Ty as well, but whatever else the Buzz haters want to throw at Bzz, he most assuredly did NOT recruit Ty, Tony Woods, JTT, Ari or Melvin Tabb.

But it wasn't his decision ultimately. And Ty never got away from deep off the bench during Dino's term even though some people used that as evidence about what a terrible coach he was.

Was there any indication that Ty had serious issues coming out of HS? I certainly don't remember any. I find it hard to believe that Bzzzz wouldn't jump all over a 5 star 7 foot recruit.

So now only CJ Harris is a player on this team that was coached by Dino Gaudio. This is firmly [Redacted]'s team now. Are we all agreed on that?

3 of the 5 were arrested and the other 2 were suspended for multiple violations. I mean, if by "unique and different underlying dynamics" you mean breaking and entering versus domestic abuse versus drunk driving then I guess you have a point.

It is not overly simplistic or unfair to lump those players together. It's accurate.

Then we will just have to agree to disagree. {And no I am not referring to a distinction between charges filed ... I am referring to individual character (or lack thereof in a couple of individuals) and the actual situations surrounding each case.}

So now only CJ Harris is a player on this team that was coached by Dino Gaudio. This is firmly [Redacted]'s team now. Are we all agreed on that?

Aside from the walk-ons... and we all know how much trouble those guys have caused.

No No No, you don't understand the insidious nature of Dino and all that he touched. The players currently on the team could be tainted because they interacted with players that knew Dino. Its impossible to know until they do something wrong, at which point we can state with certainty that it was because they were recruited by Dino, or once met Dino, or played with a player that was once recruited by Dino, or...

This is unbelievable.

I've only been around Wake for 10 years only as a parent and fan. But I'll venture a guess that there hasn't been a more bizarre, negative, disturbing, disappointing period in Wake Forest athletics/basketball history than what has transpired on and off the court over the past 20 months !

This is and has been a gawd-awful nightmare. There have been brief times when it seemed/was hoped after each incident that 'that' was 'it'....was over....and Wake/the program could regroup/recover and move on. In the last week there was hope that maybe....just maybe....things were beginning to look up and the season could conclude on a quasi positive note. And now this....yet another shot to the groin....just 48 hours after the valiant effort by just 7 of 9 scholarship kids against the #5-ranked, fully-loaded, HOF coached Duke program brimming with multiple HS All-Americans carrying NBA size.

I thought/hoped/prayed Walker had turned himself around. I now stare at that Senior Night photo from Tuesday night of Walker and his family, the smiling faces, the apparant happiness of the occasion and the graciousness of [Redacted] and Wellman. I don't know what happened with this latest episode and frankly, I don't want to know as I simply don't want to wallow in any more bad/negative news relative to this program.

I pray this is finally rock-bottom. I've thought that previously....maybe 2-3 times over the last 20 months.

Only when Bzz has a team of JUNIORS that he recruited AFTER HIS FIRST YEAR can we pass accurate judgment on his performance as a coach. By my math, that would be year four. Next year, he gets another pass.

blackgold, what say you?

Then we will just have to agree to disagree. {And no I am not referring to a distinction between charges filed ... I am referring to individual character (or lack thereof in a couple of individuals) and the actual situations surrounding each case.}

Eh, that's fine. What I'm saying is that at Wake Forest there is (or at least should be) a bar, and all of these guys were no where close to that bar. Maybe someone didn't kick someone all that hard, or maybe someone's blood alcohol level wasn't crazy high, etc... But none of those players had any business being at Wake, and none were handled correctly once they got there. All ended up an embarrassment and detriment to Wake Forest and our basketball program, end of story.

Only when Bzz has a team of JUNIORS that he recruited AFTER HIS FIRST YEAR can we pass accurate judgment on his performance as a coach. By my math, that would be year four. Next year, he gets another pass.

Has to be a parody.

Your math skills suck. If we only go by players that he recruited AFTER HIS FIRST YEAR (why are we yelling?) then the current freshmen don't count, and only the incoming class of 6 would count. So that would mean that [Redacted] wouldn't be judged by you, and you are obviously very smart, until the 2014/15 season when CMM, Tree and that lot are juniors.

Back