• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC at Wake, Friday 9/13

Nah it’s the Carolina fans bitching about the 1 second as if it would have mattered for shit and as if they didn’t piss away most of the game anyway - just like they've always done. Bitches got to bitch

FIFY

The argument that UNC-CH and other top tier state schools make is that they want to see what opportunities are available to a student, and how he or she took advantage of those opportunities

So if a kid from Myers Park has 8 AP courses and is 50th in the graduating class, that's nice, but there are 49 kids ahead of that kid in the class rank and some of those kids probably have 14 AP courses

8 AP courses is impressive but gosh, that's only a little more than half of what those top kids took - why didn't that kid come in early for zero period AP Latin?

Meanwhile the valedictorian from Hoke County took all the AP classes available to him/her (maybe that number is zero)

In this way I believe the system is a bit skewed in favor of the elite student at the expense of the not quite elite but still sparkling, to use a familiar adjective, Myers Park student

I hate UNC with an irrational passion, but I can be somewhat objective here
UNC is hard to get into because it's relatively cheap and everyone applies, and as mentioned, folks from "good" public schools probably have a harder route to get in than good kids from "less good" schools in the sticks, which skews people's opinions based on their own person anedcotes
People don't apply to wake unless they can get in and have reasonable expectation of affording it.
There are very smart people that don't get into both schools and there are idiots that get into both schools. Probably a higher percentage of idiots at UNC, but my view is skewed.
It's easier to be a dumbass and do reasonably well at UNC. It's hard to be a dumbass and do well at Wake, that is ultimately probably the difference between the two schools. The path of least resistance through UNC is a much easier path than the path of least resistance at Wake (and I'm talking about the regular student, not fake AFAM classes or whatever), but the sky is the upper limit at both.

Last edited:
My common sense tells me that when people use common sense to defend a position it usually means that they have no real evidence to back it up.

I can't believe we are having this conversation - or that people are apparently trying to argue that UNC doesn't have some sort of quota-like system in place to ensure kids from all over the state get in. That has been a known fact for decades - and I am not saying that out of some sort of sour grapes or whatever. I couldn't care less. In fact, it makes sense.

But just demographically you must realize that it has to be that way... Whatever criteria you want to establish for admissions into UNC - I don't care what it is - I'm betting you could easily fill the entire freshman class with applicants from just from Wake, Mecklenburg, Forsyth, and Guilford counties that meet that criteria. Part of their mission as a state university is to ensure representation from all over the state - so they make an effort to admit kids from the more rural counties over city kids with clearly better HS records.

If for some reason you want to believe that is not how it works then feel free.

Here is the quota system. We take anybody that gets into Wake Forest. We are their safety school.

Man, some of you are obsessed with Carolina, which gives credence to their whole "this was Wake's Superbowl" schtick.

I like how the UNC guy comes over and says education herpy duuurpy, then shows that he has no idea how rankings work or which ones are considered good or bad, also casting doubt on whether he really even knows how to use the internet.

Agree that all of them are suspect, but US News has been around since at least the early 90s and is the gold standard bearer for garbage college rankings.

The 2020 US News Rankings just came out. Wake is all alone at #27.

UNC has dropped significantly and GT has now tied them.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

ACC(ish) Schools:

Duke #10
ND #15
Wake #27
UVA #28
GT #29
UNC #29
BC #37

That's it for the ACC in the top 50. Miami has dropped like a rock.

I like how the UNC guy comes over and says education herpy duuurpy, then shows that he has no idea how rankings work or which ones are considered good or bad, also casting doubt on whether he really even knows how to use the internet.

Agree that all of them are suspect, but US News has been around since at least the early 90s and is the gold standard bearer for garbage college rankings.

The 2020 US News Rankings just came out. Wake is all alone at #27.

UNC has dropped significantly and GT has now tied them.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

ACC(ish) Schools:

Duke #10
ND #15
Wake #27
UVA #28
GT #29
UNC #29
BC #37

That's it for the ACC in the top 50. Miami has dropped like a rock.

My sister went to Da U and sent me some Wall Street Journal ranking that now has Miami way above Wake (she didn't get into Wake, which I was actually surprised at). So this shit's a total crapshoot.

UNC is hard to get into because it's relatively cheap and everyone applies, and as mentioned, folks from "good" public schools probably have a harder route to get in than good kids from "less good" schools in the sticks, which skews people's opinions based on their own person anedcotes
People don't apply to wake unless they can get in and have reasonable expectation of affording it.
There are very smart people that don't get into both schools and there are idiots that get into both schools. Probably a higher percentage of idiots at UNC, but my view is skewed.
It's easier to be a dumbass and do reasonably well at UNC. It's hard to be a dumbass and do well at Wake, that is ultimately probably the difference between the two schools. The path of least resistance through UNC is a much easier path than the path of least resistance at Wake (and I'm talking about the regular student, not fake AFAM classes or whatever), but the sky is the upper limit at both.

I guess well is the qualifier here, because there are some dumb fucking Wake grads that post on this board.

UNC's enrollment from 1989-2019 has increased by about 17%. The State of North Carolina's population from 1989-2019 has increased by about 37%. Of course it is harder to get into now than it was before.

Who else gets up to pee at 3am?

And do you think it is a Wake alum thing? Or something that happens to all men once they have more years AWAY from University than they lived BEFORE they WENT to University?

So lame when anyone (including us) tries to rely on school ranking to claim some sort of individual superiority.

Have met plenty of worthless dopes from top schools (including/especially Duke) and smart capable people from schools with essentially a 100% acceptance rate. Evaluating someone based on where they spent 4 years (or more or less) after HS verges on the same level of stupidity and cowardice as evaluating someone because of their race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation.

It's easier to be a dumbass and do reasonably well at UNC. It's hard to be a dumbass and do well at Wake, that is ultimately probably the difference between the two schools. The path of least resistance through UNC is a much easier path than the path of least resistance at Wake (and I'm talking about the regular student, not fake AFAM classes or whatever), but the ceiling is the roof at both.

FIFY

Back