• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC at Wake, Friday 9/13

As a North Carolina native and resident and father whose son, despite a sparkling record at Myers Park HS and healthy SAT, did not get into Carolina as a freshman (State two years, two years at Carolina), I was surprised to read on this thread of Carolina as a "safety school" and the dismissals and disdain for Carolina as an academic institution. I checked as many academic rankings as I could find (realizing how unscientific they are), and here is what I found: Forbes - WF 56 Carolina 45; USNews - WF 47 Carolina 49; WSJ/Times - WF 62, Carolina 37; CWUR - WF 61/201-250 Carolina 27/54 (national/international). On the other hand, WF was the better team on the field Friday, where the result was objective and not subject to speculation.
As a North Carolinian with restricted means, I am pleased that North Carolina is an inflow state - taking in more college students than we send out; that we are blessed with both fine public and private colleges, which is the informed national and international consensus; that Carolina is held in high regard; and that Wake has made such great strides in recent decades.

No problem with the notion that a UNCCH diploma has value. What is disagreeable is the notion that it is head and shoulders above all the rest: NCSU, NCCU, WCU, ASU, UNCC, etc. The rest of the University system is very good especially because they are not known for holding fake classes or known for academic fraud as is UNCCH. It is time for academics, media and the public to recognize UNCCH as UNCCH, not UNC which was lost a long time ago.

As a North Carolina native and resident and father whose son, despite a sparkling record at Myers Park HS and healthy SAT, did not get into Carolina as a freshman (State two years, two years at Carolina), I was surprised to read on this thread of Carolina as a "safety school" and the dismissals and disdain for Carolina as an academic institution. I checked as many academic rankings as I could find (realizing how unscientific they are), and here is what I found: Forbes - WF 56 Carolina 45; USNews - WF 47 Carolina 49; WSJ/Times - WF 62, Carolina 37; CWUR - WF 61/201-250 Carolina 27/54 (national/international). On the other hand, WF was the better team on the field Friday, where the result was objective and not subject to speculation.

As a North Carolinian with restricted means, I am pleased that North Carolina is an inflow state - taking in more college students than we send out; that we are blessed with both fine public and private colleges, which is the informed national and international consensus; that Carolina is held in high regard; and that Wake has made such great strides in recent decades.

As a NC native you should realize that UNC does admissions by county. It is notoriously difficult to get into UNC as an in-state student if you are from Wake or Mecklenburg county - or, I presume, the other highly populated counties in the state. But super easy to get into from the rural counties. I went to HS in a rural area in NC and if you could fill out the application you could get into UNC. By contrast, my daughter went to HS in Wake county and had extremely high scores and grades - but got waitlisted at UNC. (While less qualified students from her school got in based on other, more random factors - but that is a different story altogether). This actually has nothing to do with how "good" a school UNC is - but is simply a demographic phenomenon based on supply and demand.

That being said, ignoring the recent academic fraud issues, UNC is well regarded as a public institution of higher learning and I'm sure you can get a great education there. It can't touch the teaching available at Wake Forest, of course, but few places can. The overall experience at Wake is obviously quite different - being much smaller, it provides a more personal, exclusive feel.

UNC alumni, students, and, apparently, parents spend a lot of energy looking down on Wake Forest (along with everyone else) in every way - which is fine, it just makes it that much easier to hate everything about the place.

What you seem to miss about the difference between Wake and a school like UNC is that while you can get an excellent education at UNC, there are also a large number of rinky-dink Carolina courses, perhaps even majors as well, available for athletes, who are marginal students, in order to keep them eligible. This is not the case at Wake. So, your comparison based on national ranking is highly misleading and pretty much worthless in this case.

What you seem to miss about the difference between Wake and a school like UNC is that while you can get an excellent education at UNC, there are also a large number of rinky-dink Carolina courses, perhaps even majors as well, available for athletes, who are marginal students, in order to keep them eligible. This is not the case at Wake. So, your comparison based on national ranking is highly misleading and pretty much worthless in this case.

In what case ? The national ranking is what it is.

athletic programs

in short, no matter what its overall academic ranking, UNC is able to admit and keep eligible academically marginal athletes much more easily than Wake

athletic programs

in short, no matter what its overall academic ranking, UNC is able to admit and keep eligible academically marginal athletes much more easily than Wake

So what ? That wasn't even being discussed.

As a NC native you should realize that UNC does admissions by county. It is notoriously difficult to get into UNC as an in-state student if you are from Wake or Mecklenburg county - or, I presume, the other highly populated counties in the state. But super easy to get into from the rural counties. I went to HS in a rural area in NC and if you could fill out the application you could get into UNC. By contrast, my daughter went to HS in Wake county and had extremely high scores and grades - but got waitlisted at UNC. (While less qualified students from her school got in based on other, more random factors - but that is a different story altogether). This actually has nothing to do with how "good" a school UNC is - but is simply a demographic phenomenon based on supply and demand.

That being said, ignoring the recent academic fraud issues, UNC is well regarded as a public institution of higher learning and I'm sure you can get a great education there. It can't touch the teaching available at Wake Forest, of course, but few places can. The overall experience at Wake is obviously quite different - being much smaller, it provides a more personal, exclusive feel.

UNC alumni, students, and, apparently, parents spend a lot of energy looking down on Wake Forest (along with everyone else) in every way - which is fine, it just makes it that much easier to hate everything about the place.

UNC has no formal quota policy other than in-state versus out-of-state

there is no county admissions quota

when I was in HS, UNC was known for having more non-academic criteria than Duke/Wake

I really don't care, but it was always the basic-ass kids that didn't get in that whined about the quotas

So what ? That wasn't even being discussed.

Yes, it was.

Please, let this go. The game is over and we won't have to deal with these nitwits until January. Then coach Dan will.....oh never mind.

I will say that unc is a very good value considering the costs for in state students as compared to Wake ( although a lot of Wake students get some financial aid). Costs in all major universities are spiraling out of control and, only because they get supplemental aid from the state of NC, can unc remain a good value. Private schools do get some minor perks from the state but have to generally absorb a much higher percent of costs than unc, State, or any other public institutions in this state do. Fact remains that Wake is a better education than unc but the cost differential does narrow the gap considerably.

UNC has no formal quota policy other than in-state versus out-of-state

there is no county admissions quota

Call it what you want, formal, informal, whatever but this is simply not true. Otherwise practically every kid from NC that gets into UNC would be from about 3-4 counties in the state - that is what they want to avoid.

Back