• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC-G, 7:00 PM; ESPN3--On a TUESDAY!

Rondale gets major minutes against UCLA and Arkansas and no time against the G? VH out there taking up minutes again? Collins sitting the whole game? SMH And Carl Tacy needs to teach DM how to feed the post with a bounce pass with a shooter on the wing and another big down low on the other side in case of a double team. We got out coached tonight.

Is Rondale in the dog house for any reason? TVH is getting minutes over him and I'm not sure why that would be. Rondale might not be good, but he's much better than TVH.
I also can't say enough how horrible our team defense is. Rotations are not that difficult of a concept to grasp! Three guys should never be guarding one guard in the lane. I don't know if this is the players just not understanding it/collapsing in games or if it is DM not teaching it well but good Lord! Basketball players should understand man to man rotations in high school.

DM on player rotation...
"My rotation pattern is easy. If you play hard and help us be successful, you play. If you don't, you sit on the bench. It's not hard. They understand that. If you don't play hard you'll have a seat on the bench. That's the rotation."

i kinda like that explanation. Much better than having to hear ron tell us why tuesdays are really rough days

Rondale gets major minutes against UCLA and Arkansas and no time against the G? VH out there taking up minutes again? Collins sitting the whole game? SMH And Carl Tacy needs to teach DM how to feed the post with a bounce pass with a shooter on the wing and another big down low on the other side in case of a double team. We got out coached tonight.

lol, Collins had three fouls in 15 minutes. Also, Thomas had an 18/10 night and Dinos was our leading scorer with 22 points.

sounds like we're going to use more full court pressure this year now that we have #fullsquad

Yes

But it wasn't a loss and doesn't feel that way

It's good to play badly and win

Get over it

Yeah can't really say that against terrible teams. I mean bottom ACC teams, sure, but UNCG? Cmon.

DT 8-17 from the line.

Let's see how they play Friday. First game back from exams, CMM needs to get in game shape and of course it was Tuesday.

It's his Achilles heel.

seeing lots of pictures on facebook of james johnson at the game tonight

why do we complain about the substitution patterns. i know it's cliche but a win is a win. we are 7-2 and in 3 months we arent going to remember rondale not playing against UNCG while tvh did. 7-2, On to the next, Go Deacs.

Because some people like to complain and some think they can coach better than DM....that's what "fans" do....;)

The bottom line is we won...'nuff said.

Against the sayings of prophet a Iverson: "practive?"

Maybe tvh is busting butt in practice...then I have no problem especially against cupcakes

I would not get overwrought about Danny not jumping up and down. Our guys know that he can bring the hammer. He has put a couple of them on the bench for a while for discipline reasons, even longer than some of us were comfortable with. I think that he exudes calm in a game, but it isn't like they players think all is cool when the don't play well. I kind of like his demeanor. Screaming at these guys all the time may not be productive. We aren't good enough right now not to screw up. Don't confuse not frothing at the mouth on the court with not being in a position to enforce his belief system with his players.

Was sitting close to the bench last night and DM was not happy with Crab at one point, said something to him followed by "have a seat!"

Pretty awful game by the deacs. Not a whole lot of good to say to be honest. We beat a really bad team. Clearly manning is rewarding TVh's work ethic by giving him spot minutes but man he is really not an acc level player. Makes me wish I was a Danny manning walk on.

I don't want to see Watson but I do want to see some of our primary lineups be given some time to gel.

CMM was predictably rusty. Good game to work him back in the fold. I thought Crawford played a good game. Dribble drive defense is still poor. We are just aren't beating the dribbler to the point of attack. We allow over the top dribble drives almost every time they clear the elbow.

Pretty much all you have to do right now to get in the lane is spread is start in a standard 2 guard 2 post set. Have the pg pass to a wing and then cut to the same side corner. Then the guard with the ball can dribble over the top (towards the elbow) and we simply can't stop him. He gets in the lane every time. This opens the door for a 8 foot jump shot, a kick out to the opposite wing of the guard helps or dump passes to a big If one of the bugs help.

If I am manning I may just start forcing penetration baseline side instead of trying to square up. At least then we know where the dribbler is going and we can double and fill the passing lanes. I know manning has to be infuriated watching the game film.

Pretty awful game by the deacs. Not a whole lot of good to say to be honest. We beat a really bad team. Clearly manning is rewarding TVh's work ethic by giving him spot minutes but man he is really not an acc level player. Makes me wish I was a Danny manning walk on.

I don't want to see Watson but I do want to see some of our primary lineups be given some time to gel.

CMM was predictably rusty. Good game to work him back in the fold. I thought Crawford played a good game. Dribble drive defense is still poor. We are just aren't beating the dribbler to the point of attack. We allow over the top dribble drives almost every time they clear the elbow.

Pretty much all you have to do right now to get in the lane is spread is start in a standard 2 guard 2 post set. Have the pg pass to a wing and then cut to the same side corner. Then the guard with the ball can dribble over the top (towards the elbow) and we simply can't stop him. He gets in the lane every time. This opens the door for a 8 foot jump shot, a kick out to the opposite wing of the guard helps or dump passes to a big If one of the bugs help.

If I am manning I may just start forcing penetration baseline side instead of trying to square up. At least then we know where the dribbler is going and we can double and fill the passing lanes. I know manning has to be infuriated watching the game film.

Good analysis, one thing I would at least try would be stop switching all screens as we invariably get caught up and leave someone wide open. Either that or we end up with 2 guys guarding one and an open player underneath the basket and, while Devin is decent is a defender, he is not an exceptional shot blocker to clean up underneath. I also don't like the big men hedging outside to help the guards when they are up top, leaves their inside guys open at least for a short period and a good quick passing team will kill you inside

Last edited:
And Manning is such a dial tone that we have no intensity for most of games against weaker opponents.
Tacy didn't jump up and down either but he could burn you with a look. I have no doubt the team knows when he's not happy, and usually get to see it close up from the bench.

Sure, we didn't play very good last night, but we're still 7-2 when some were saying we could be 4-5 or even 3-6 at this point in the season. No reason to be upset at this point of the season, I expect us to play better Friday night and prepare to take our best shot at a very good Xavier team. [Redacted] is still gone, it's all good peeps!

Back