• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

Also, for those with big, dirty, crazy ass rescue dogs, it's another good reason to have a truck.

I wanted a small pickup for a while because I do all those things but I make do with my small suv that I beat to hell. It’s just not very practical to have a truck with two small kids.

Also they make trucks obscenely large now. The smaller ones like Tacomas that I’d want are as big as the full size trucks of 15 years ago. A stock F150 these days is like a small bus. Ridiculous. I blame the mediocre poser contingent for this.

I’m not saying all truck owners are like this. I’m saying there’s enough of them like this for that perception to exist.

That's fair. The don't tread of me Trump bumper sticker group definitely puts a negative stigma on us normal truck drivers.

We have 2 newer, "nicer" SUVs, but we still end up using my old truck as our family car 90% of the time and it is my daily driver unless it is a long highway drive (and even then still sometimes if it is camping or to the beach). It is by far the best family vehicle we've owned, and I use the bed at least 5 or 6 times a week for various shit, if not every day. And as Biff noted it is 9 years old with well over 100k miles on it, but still only worth $10k less than what I paid for it. Plus, it has 35s and a lift kit, but don't hate, I see you in your Prius driving solo with your Covid-cabin mask on, you do you.

Actually wait, probably adds. Forgot about the kind of demand the market is flooded with. If you add a flagpole mount it’ll pay for itself in resale value.

As someone who grew up on a farm, I get slightly annoyed at the suburban folks who drive $70k trucks. They are rarely used for their intended purpose, but drive demand and cost through the roof. I get it, they are comfortable and useful luxury vehicles, but as the top-of-the-line models skyrocket in price, it drags the work truck price up with it.

i had one of these bad boys

pNaZFKtVb5qPT9nODOsxjdH-pi8qbcjnfmRc3W2CRgWtKKuxtQNI1ZR85eo81HOL7b10xAj_DYept13GgtxwobmIacFp7LhjFhiYDoty9qbYUfJo9Xg

just oozed sex

i mean, a base F150 is like $35k. It's not crazy low but that's pretty reasonable for a vehicle that holds its value far better than basically every other vehicle that's not a Wrangler

As someone who grew up on a farm, I get slightly annoyed at the suburban folks who drive $70k trucks. They are rarely used for their intended purpose, but drive demand and cost through the roof. I get it, they are comfortable and useful luxury vehicles, but as the top-of-the-line models skyrocket in price, it drags the work truck price up with it.

I actually think part of what drives the expense is businesses that claim tax deductions for them because otherwise I have no idea how every construction company can afford to have a fleet of them.

Any soccer dads or moms here who still drive a mini-van? We're not here to judge. Oh wait, who I am kidding.

We have 2 newer, "nicer" SUVs, but we still end up using my old truck as our family car 90% of the time and it is my daily driver unless it is a long highway drive (and even then still sometimes if it is camping or to the beach). It is by far the best family vehicle we've owned, and I use the bed at least 5 or 6 times a week for various shit, if not every day. And as Biff noted it is 9 years old with well over 100k miles on it, but still only worth $10k less than what I paid for it. Plus, it has 35s and a lift kit, but don't hate, I see you in your Prius driving solo with your Covid-cabin mask on, you do you.

I kinda wanna be out of the pickup truck club now.

Is there some reason that a vehicle that has a more likely chance of being beaten to hell retains its value so well? Eventually you would think the market corrects for saturation of high retaining value year after year as more trucks are made. Counterpoint to my own argument lots of people own a truck as a secondary vehicle.

To clarify my original unpopular opinion:

Owning a "beater" truck = OK
Owning a $50,00+ pimped-out luxury truck that doesn't have a scratch or dent or one bit of dried cement and when you work in an office = not OK

Is there some reason that a vehicle that has a more likely chance of being beaten to hell retains its value so well? Eventually you would think the market corrects for saturation of high retaining value year after year as more trucks are made. Counterpoint to my own argument lots of people own a truck as a secondary vehicle.

Every $30,000/year construction worker in the country is saving up to buy an old truck, so there's a floor for truck prices and they stay on the road until they fall apart around 225K miles. Google 1995 Ford F-150 and you'll find old pckups for between $5,000 and $15,000. Now Google 1995 Honda Accord and see what comes up.

Back