• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

You're correct though. Good stuff on that album.

Here's on for you: The King of Limbs is pretty good stuff if you listen to it a few times you'll really start to get into it.

yeah I didn't really like King of Limbs when I first heard it but then after seeing them live on that tour during Bonnaroo the songs were great live.

In Rainbows
Kid A
The Bends
OK
King of Limbs

but it changes every time I go to rank

yeah I didn't really like King of Limbs when I first heard it but then after seeing them live on that tour during Bonnaroo the songs were great live.

if you watch King of Limbs live from the basement the album clicks a bit more

every time someone mentions HTTT I think of jonny's solo at the end of this and how it's not on the album

What’s “right” isn’t constant. I have a problem with Hollywood defining what’s “right” for us as a society, yes.

most of this nazi discussion goes back to this post. I'm genuinely surprised that you think this, as I believe that God has created absolute right and wrong. CS Lewis articulated it much more clearly than I could so I won't try. But I'm surprised you think there isn't absolute truth and a "right."

I think others have already covered what follow-up questions I'd have. You can't really say "German culture viewed," I don't think.

I disagree. Of course you can't pinpoint what this or that particular German (or member of any culture) would think, but I think you can talk about the zeitgeist of a culture. We do it all the time. The zeitgeist of the 1960s was about change, the zeitgeist of the South during the 1860s was rebellion / pro-slavery, the zeigeist of the 1980s was about the "me" generation, etc. We can argue over what the zeitgeist actually was, but it seems clear that there are dominant ideas throughout a culture unique to that time and place that can be identified.

most of this nazi discussion goes back to this post. I'm genuinely surprised that you think this, as I believe that God has created absolute right and wrong. CS Lewis articulated it much more clearly than I could so I won't try. But I'm surprised you think there isn't absolute truth and a "right."

I don't think that. I think there is an absolute truth, which is why I can say that I think Nazism is objectively wrong. By the language you quoted, I was trying to convey that what society perceives as "right" and "wrong" changes with the spirit of the age.

2+2=5 is my fav Radiohead tune, it just sets the album OFF. there are no bad songs. even interludes/slower songs like sail to the moon have a lot to explore. as the longest album, most stuff to digest and sink into.

how does a band follow up Kid A? you've already made a masterpiece of an album, you've pushed so far, if you keep reinventing you'll just make inaccessible trash. you can tell Ed wants to make a straightforward rock record again and thom and phil want to make an electronic record, and they're just sorta pulling back and forth between those two ideas endlessly. i think it has 4 of my top 10 radiohead tunes. in rainbows is more cohesive and tight, but there are so many good songs on HTTT. people sleep.

two conservative posters blithely agreeing on the fairly obvious observation that some mid-30s Germans thought fascism was a great idea is a pretty top tier boards posting

My Iron Lung is maybe my least favorite Radiohead song

I appreciate you reading my posts honestly.

My point about Nazism doesn't have anything to do with comic book movies. I brought it up in response to Ph's question several posts back about how cultural norms can change. I thought highlighting such a stark example of cultural change would make the point about as clear as it could be made.

Um, okay. Yes, most subjectivists/atheists don't or can't articulate a view on morality that coheres with their actual beliefs or actions. Gleaning a subjectivist vs. objectivist bent out of Ph's post strikes me as just a bit of a reach.

Now if only we had an upcoming Marvel movie about Stretch Armstrong, maybe we could bring this thing full circle.

2+2=5 is my fav Radiohead tune, it just sets the album OFF. there are no bad songs. even interludes/slower songs like sail to the moon have a lot to explore. as the longest album, most stuff to digest and sink into.

how does a band follow up Kid A? you've already made a masterpiece of an album, you've pushed so far, if you keep reinventing you'll just make inaccessible trash. you can tell Ed wants to make a straightforward rock record again and thom and phil want to make an electronic record, and they're just sorta pulling back and forth between those two ideas endlessly. i think it has 4 of my top 10 radiohead tunes. in rainbows is more cohesive and tight, but there are so many good songs on HTTT. people sleep.

With Amnesiac.

1. OK Computer
2. Kid A
3. The Bends
4. Amnesiac
5. In Rainbows
6. Hail to The Thief
7. King of Limbs
8. Pablo Honey
9. A Moon Shaped Pool

Gleaning a subjectivist vs. objectivist bent out of Ph's post strikes me as just a bit of a reach.

I wan't gleaning anything from Ph's post. I was simply pointing out that cultural values are not set in stone. You can be a subjectivist or objectivist and believe that. The difference is only that the subjectivist wouldn't be able to claim any higher ground from which to judge a cultural value, whereas the objectivist can say that Nazism, for example, is wrong.

Um, okay. Yes, most subjectivists/atheists don't or can't articulate a view on morality that coheres with their actual beliefs or actions. Gleaning a subjectivist vs. objectivist bent out of Ph's post strikes me as just a bit of a reach.

Now if only we had an upcoming Marvel movie about Stretch Armstrong, maybe we could bring this thing full circle.

Treat others as you would be treated.

Pursue happiness without doing harm to others.

Trade value for value.

Back