• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

i don't think "it was good 'to the germans'" is a compelling argument.

that's like saying Trumpism was "good to the Americans" because a subset of americans, like the germans before them, manipulated the political process to gain power

I honestly don't even understand what point junebug is trying to make

that a culture's assessment on their own values is subjective?

when you read "culture" as a monolith you can make all kinds of incredible arguments

It’s just “Hollywood liberals are bad.” That’s his only point but it’s taken him down this rabbit hole.

junebug loves making stupid posts. it's his schtick.

It’s just “Hollywood liberals are bad.” That’s his only point but it’s taken him down this rabbit hole.

This is what I get for trying to engage in discussion with you. I should have known better.

I agree that Nazism was morally wrong from an objective standpoint. It was, however, a positive good within German culture in the 1930s. ... this all seems very obvious and noncontroversial to me.

i must just be missing something key here

This is what I get for trying to engage in discussion with you. I should have known better.

I think that your point, although overbroad, is a valid one. The Nazis didn't say, "We're going to commit these evil actions just to be evil." They carried those actions out because they saw some good resulting from them. WTF that has to do with comic book movies beats the hell out of me.

I think others have already covered what follow-up questions I'd have. You can't really say "German culture viewed," I don't think.

I think that your point, although overbroad, is a valid one. The Nazis didn't say, "We're going to commit these evil actions just to be evil." They carried those actions out because they saw some good resulting from them. WTF that has to do with comic book movies beats the hell out of me.

I appreciate you reading my posts honestly.

My point about Nazism doesn't have anything to do with comic book movies. I brought it up in response to Ph's question several posts back about how cultural norms can change. I thought highlighting such a stark example of cultural change would make the point about as clear as it could be made.

In Rainbows
Hail to the Thief
Kid A
OK Computer
The Bends

are my top 5 in that order

Back