• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

my wife prefers the jar but I usually prefer to just mince my own

mincers/presses are dumb. just get a good knife, people

I hate garlic presses

I smash the clove to get the peel off anyways, so it's a quick chop chop chop after -- never tried mincers

did try one of those rubber peel remover things, but didn't love it

i like the rubber peel remover, saves time and keeps your fingers from getting super sticky, but it sorta hurts your palms if you're cleaning a bunch of cloves

i just pound the clove under the side of the blade and that seems to free it up enough.

i'm pretty anti gadget . always seems like more trouble to clean up and they always clutter up the drawers

i like the rubber peel remover, saves time and keeps your fingers from getting super sticky, but it sorta hurts your palms if you're cleaning a bunch of cloves

i just pound the clove under the side of the blade and that seems to free it up enough.

i'm pretty anti gadget . always seems like more trouble to clean up and they always clutter up the drawers

I go back and forth on this. I either use the rubber peeler thing to keep the hands clean or just do the smash and peel.

Either way it takes seconds. I’ve never used jarred stuff and lol garlic powder as a substitute ph

I hate garlic presses

I smash the clove to get the peel off anyways, so it's a quick chop chop chop after -- never tried mincers

did try one of those rubber peel remover things, but didn't love it

seriously. how hard is it?

The only think I use the jarred garlic for is my jambalaya recipe, but that's just because it calls for so much minced garlic that it's a real dickpain to chop that much up (I think it's a half cup or something). I use the garlic press a lot of times just because I'm feeling lazy, but I have started using the microplane a lot to grate it, especially if I already have it out to grate ginger.

my experience with the rubber tube peeler is that after a few cloves it gets sticky and then you get a big tangle of peel and have a different set of sticky peel problems but now in a narrow tube instead of along a knife blade

clearly the solution is to use the jarred variety. i spend zero time smashing cloves, removing skins, getting my hands sticky (or rubber tubes), scrubbing my hands with industrial soap afterwards, etc. 3 minced garlic cloves takes me approximately 5 seconds to produce, including walking to and from the fridge.

I'm not gonna knock the jarred garlic, but for me it does not hit like the real thing

I've done the calculus and the extra minute on real garlic is worth it to me

thinking of planting some garlic in my new garden tbh

there is no situation where garlic powder is an acceptable substitute for garlic

there are good uses of garlic powder

My great grandfather used to put it in his oatmeal. Haven't tried that one yet. As for mincing, a garlic press is useful, but still time consuming as you have to de-paper it.

I've been using pre-peeled, whole cloves recently and have liked them well enough. More flavor than the minced garlic in a jar (which I use) and none of the hassle of peeling.

I've been using pre-peeled, whole cloves recently and have liked them well enough. More flavor than the minced garlic in a jar (which I use) and none of the hassle of peeling.

I use the garlic in a jar for most recipes, but when I need to slice garlic cloves I smash the giant clove, throw them in a glass jar and shake. There is usually one hold out, but the paper peels off the rest of them.

clearly the solution is to use the jarred variety. i spend zero time smashing cloves, removing skins, getting my hands sticky (or rubber tubes), scrubbing my hands with industrial soap afterwards, etc. 3 minced garlic cloves takes me approximately 5 seconds to produce, including walking to and from the fridge.

do you have your folgers brand k-cup pf coffee before or after the fridge walk

Hey guys... I'll have to ask my wife how she handles the garlic when she's cooking my meals. But first I need to wrap up my day of doing actual man's work. The kind of work that builds calluses and character.

Finance.

Hey guys... I'll have to ask my wife how she handles the garlic when she's cooking my meals. But first I need to wrap up my day of doing actual man's work. The kind of work that builds calluses and character.

Finance.

But can you juggle while crunching numbers?

Back