• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

I'm kind of with Brasky on the rice thing when it comes to mexican food. I don't need no rice with my enchiladas. I'm ok with it in a burrito, but other than that it has no bidness near my mexican food.

I'm with ya here on like real Mexican food, but I do love me a Chipotle bowl with brown rice.

I'm with ya here on like real Mexican food, but I do love me a Chipotle bowl with brown rice.

I hate brown rice. I know it's better for you then white, but I can't bring myself to ever order it.

The internet is about "friends," not friends. well actually it's about collecting and selling personal information.

Facebook provides a value service that I pay for by letting them know stuff about me.

what value does facebook provide you? silly sunshine status updates from your "friends?"

what value does facebook provide you? silly sunshine status updates from your "friends?"

If you don't have scattered family and friends that you want to keep up with, then it has no value. If you do, then it does have value.

If you don't have scattered family and friends that you want to keep up with, then it has no value. If you do, then it does have value.

Yep. I've met a lot of cool people in my life. Facebook helps me keep up with them.

Yep. I've met a lot of cool people in my life. Facebook helps me keep up with them.

meh.

text (and to a lesser extent email and phone) works just fine and it's less superficial BS.

Milhouse, it's OK if your Facebook friends are shitty. There's no value judgment there. You just have shitty Facebook friends.

I don't care if you have the coolest friends and family in the world. Putting them all basically in a room together 24/7 to comment about anything and everything that crosses their minds, showing and talking about every picture they've ever taken, and every song they like and everything they do gets old and annoying. It also removes any mystery or subtlety from social interaction and friendship. There is nothing to learn about people any more. Its all out there, every opinion they've ever had, every trip they've been on, every landmark in their lives and their kids' lives is out there, every bar or restaurant they visit or movie or concert they attend, every quote they like, every team they love. It has all but replaced normal conversation. There is such a thing as too much information, too much communication. My friends are awesome and my family too, but hell if I want to know all that shit about them all at once.

I'll take the old way, sitting down and having a beer with them or visiting them somewhere and talking and catching up, listening to some music with them together in the same room or car, etc. That's a really fun part of being a friend that is lost on the FB generation. You all know everything that everyone is doing all the time. You know who is going to be at the bar before you get there. You have no idea the fun of not knowing things.

Last edited:
i don't have a facebook account sunshine

You've never had one, or you got rid of it?

I don't care if you have the coolest friends and family in the world. Putting them all basically in a room together 24/7 to comment about anything and everything that crosses their minds, showing and talking about every picture they've ever taken, and every song they like and everything they do gets old and annoying. It also removes any mystery or subtlety from social interaction and friendship. There is nothing to learn about people any more. Its all out there, every opinion they've ever had, every trip they've been on, every landmark in their lives and their kids' lives is out there, every bar or restaurant they visit or movie or concert they attend, every quote they like, every team they love. It has all but replaced normal conversation. There is such a thing as too much information, too much communication. My friends are awesome and my family too, but hell if I want to know all that shit about them all at once.

I'll take the old way, sitting down and having a beer with them or visiting them somewhere and talking and catching up, listening to some music with them together in the same room or car, etc. That's a really fun part of being a friend that is lost on the FB generation. You all know everything that everyone is doing all the time. You know who is going to be at the bar before you get there. You have no idea the fun of not knowing things.

Yeah, seems like you have/(had?) a combination of shitty Facebook friends and are maybe too old to understand its purpose? Or maybe you're so old that you lost track of friends and acquaintances over the years and would only want to keep in touch with people you could readily see face to face? Scrolling through Facebook to see what friends who live a thousand miles away are up to doesn't really replace the beer, music and conversations in life.

never had one, and somehow i am able to keep in touch with people i've known (and care to keep in touch with) since middle school, high school, college and the many years after college. this includes friends, family and professional contacts.

all without seeing a bunch of stupid selfies and the rest of the trash that wakeandbake mentioned

It seems weird to me that people who come to these boards every day and engage in random discussions with strangers would balk at doing the same thing with people they know.

are maybe too old to understand its purpose? Or maybe you're so old that you lost track of friends and acquaintances over the years and would only want to keep in touch with people you could readily see face to face?

lol this made me laugh. jesus dude Im 43. I understand it, I did it for a while, and then after the joy of seeing the people I went to middle school with wore off, the thing became a nuisance. :noidea:

Back