• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

I agree with the last two stated opinions.

Watermelon milkshakes aren't that great.
Shadow of Mordor was fun but quickly became quite repetitive. I didn't care at all about the rival system. Having the orc or goblin that killed you become a named NPC was neat quickly lost it's appeal after the 100th time. The final boss battle was underwhelming at best. One of the DLCs sucked. The other was pretty good.

The end.

I agree with the last two stated opinions.

Watermelon milkshakes aren't that great.
Shadow of Mordor was fun but quickly became quite repetitive. I didn't care at all about the rival system. Having the orc or goblin that killed you become a named NPC was neat quickly lost it's appeal after the 100th time. The final boss battle was underwhelming at best. One of the DLCs sucked. The other was pretty good.

The end.

yeah, they could've made more money by charging $35 for the first half and another $35 for the 'inside modor' half since it was literally the same game, except you were OP for the second half.

When dragons are not flying and breathing fire, I find Game of Thrones boring.

Jesus, that's an absolutely awful opinion. This is defs the thread for you.

These days Powerade is better by default because it's the only one I come in contact with, albeit irregularly, in freestyle machines or at McDonald's.

Operation Christmas Child is toxic charity that simply exports American consumerism, co-opting the Gospel in the process. There, I said it. Been wanting to say it for a while and this thread is just the place for an unpopular opinion such as that.

Operation Christmas Child is toxic charity that simply exports American consumerism, co-opting the Gospel in the process. There, I said it. Been wanting to say it for a while and this thread is just the place for an unpopular opinion such as that.

I can't say I disagree with this, but can you expand a little on what makes you feel that way/what should be done instead?

in line with chat thread banter: triscuits are too sharp (hurt your mouth in the same way Cap'n Crunch tears you up), make too many crumbs, and dry out your mouth. They're a bottom-tier cracker for me.

in line with chat thread banter: triscuits are too sharp (hurt your mouth in the same way Cap'n Crunch tears you up), make too many crumbs, and dry out your mouth. They're a bottom-tier cracker for me.

I concur on plain triscuits. Give me a wheat thin over that any day. Some of the flavored ones can be good though.

I can't say I disagree with this, but can you expand a little on what makes you feel that way/what should be done instead?

Sure. First, some generalizations/opinions about Christmas:
-Christmas is a Christian holiday, not a gift-exchange holiday. We don't exchange gifts on any other feast during the Church Year, Christmas is the anomaly in that sense.
-Santa Claus (at least in the modern sense) was invented by department stores to sell stuff
-Black Friday and the "Christmas season" are marketing strategies to make money
-Christianity isn't about making money, and often this money making is done in very unhealthy ways (causing stress over buying gifts, stress over going into debt or not having money for gifts, gifts that are simply wasteful and will sit in a drawer until eventually sitting unused in a landfill, less the fair trade to create and ship these unnecessary gifts, etc.)
-The false equation that is operative in gift-giving is often "I can't tell you how I feel about you, so here, let me buy you some junk so you'll think that I give 2 cents about you."

So Operation Christmas Child is based on many of these issues. Furthermore, it's very much the "band-aid" approach to make us feel good, as in "Oh boy, I feel so good about filling that shoebox with basic toiletries and cheap toys. I'm so glad that I've done my part. Should I ask the question about why those kids don't have access to toothpaste or toys? Nah, that's not really in the holiday spirit."

It reeks of colonialism - here, let us rich Americans tell you poor Asians/Africans/South Americans what a happy Christmas looks like. Now, you're just going to get this little shoebox and my kids are going to think the Christmas tree vomited wrapping paper when they see all of their gifts under the tree, but you should be happy just received .05% of what my kids do. There's also the paternalism in thinking that we are the givers and "they" are the needy receivers.

Instead, I'd much rather develop a relationship with a community/school/village and find out how they celebrate Christmas in their local custom and then take part in that. And with that relationship, to care for them and learn from them. But that takes work. It's not a pre-packaged program to feel good about, so we don't do it.

I know that people who support Operation Christmas Child would disagree and be offended by this, but that's why it's my unpopular opinion.

Not unpopular.

Back