• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

Do you thank the pilot when you leave an airplane? I always do, and my friends think it's completely unnecessary.

i usually thank the pilot if they're there and the stewardess because they're performing a service for me. unless they were rude/unhelpful

Not many. I'm more talking about the films that promote the cast as if someone's voice is a reason for me to go see an animated film. I was triggered by the My Little Pony movie trailer before seeing The Lego Ninjago Movie with my kids. The trailer ended with a list of the famous people in a film. And I thought, is a kid going to want to see this film because Emily Blunt is doing one of the voices? Seems unnecessary. And then The Lego Ninjago Movie started and it's Jackie freakin' Chan on the screen. And I'm thinking, "C'mon. They got Jackie Chan to voice Sensei Wu?" Unnecessary.

They're not going to charge you any less for no-name actors doing the voices

i usually thank the pilot if they're there and the stewardess because they're performing a service for me. unless they were rude/unhelpful

Yep. Also, if the pilot doesn't perform that service correctly, you could die. I'll be much more likely to make a point of thanking him/her than my local barista. Have been on two different flights with really turbulent/wild landings, where people started clapping/cheering for the pilot once on the ground. That was a bit excessive, though.

Why not thank everyone that serves you? Not much trouble and they probably appreciate it.

i mean, the parents are making the decision to see a movie and big names lend gravitas and in some cases actual skill. And, getting an aged martial arts master to voice an aged asian martial arts master seems like a good idea.

Oh yes, of course. Parents make the decisions about what movies to see. That's definitely how it goes.

They're not going to charge you any less for no-name actors doing the voices

Sure. It's an annoyance because it robs highly skilled voice actors of parts. But I realize it probably doesn't bother many people, so this is the ideal thread.

What are you supposed to do while they're standing there waiting for you to make eye contact? Of course you say thank you.

I only thank them about 40% of the time, so basically never.

Back