• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Updates to the Joel?

IAppreciateIt

no bunting allowed
Reaction score
Changes to the Joel were briefly discussed on the last episode of the Steve Forbes Show (comically hard to find, btw): https://open.spotify.com/episode/35g4TO77MPvnxrLSw46uSR?si=d563ef0d588a4fee 32:30 mark

Summary of thoughts:

1/ "the bones of the building are great" - scoreboard, ribbon, etc.

2/ we need updated banners

3/ he equivocated a bit on seating capacity, but reading between the lines he does seem to favor smaller seating capacity to "make the ticket a little harder to get"

4/ emphasized a focus on fan experience (which he suggested was largely driven by quality of the team)

building a monorail was frustratingly not brought up.

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure Currie is looking closely at options to improve game atmosphere. Why the Steve Forbes show cannot be accessed easily from the Wake athletics website or app is a head scratcher.

Changes to the Joel were briefly discussed on the last episode of the Steve Forbes Show (comically hard to find, btw): https://open.spotify.com/episode/35g4TO77MPvnxrLSw46uSR?si=d563ef0d588a4fee 32:30 mark

Summary of thoughts:

3/ he equivocated a bit on seating capacity, but reading between the lines he does seem to favor smaller seating capacity to "make the ticket a little harder to get"

4/ emphasized a focus on fan experience (which he suggested was largely driven by quality of the team)

And I thought Currie was a good AD.

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure Currie is looking closely at options to improve game atmosphere. Why the Steve Forbes show cannot be accessed easily from the Wake athletics website or app is a head scratcher.

be7b63980100692dc537ed4b24435b72.jpg

The Jen Hoover show comes up with the Deac2Deac podcast. One or two Dave Clawson shows have as well. Haven’t seen Forbes at all.

Someone on the old boards made the point that the way they cut the banners when they put them up, it would be hard to keep adding NCAA tournament appearances to the without the centering being thrown off. So I guess Wellman hired the two shittiest coaches he could find so we didn’t have to worry about that.

Love to see the Forbes has an attention to detail, like the quality of the banners. I always thought the vinyl/plastic cutouts for players that is printed on looks kind of meh. Would love to see old-school felt and a more inspired design. The height of the ceiling certainly doesn't help, as they are almost out of your view and you have to make quite the effort to find them.

Granted, I haven't been to the Joel in many years, so some of this may have changed.

While a new facility done right would be preferable, I think the Joel could probably be re-designed to be a much better atmosphere for the Deacs. It ain't cheap, tho.

This is total DR bat signal.

The Jen Hoover show comes up with the Deac2Deac podcast. One or two Dave Clawson shows have as well. Haven’t seen Forbes at all.

on spotify there are two ostensibly identical “deac2deac” podcasts with different content on each — very confusing. feels like the AD is short staffed when it comes to stuff like this.

Also need a floor that doesn’t make everything look so washed out on TV

This! our floor looks terrible on TV- it makes the players jersey's blend right in to the floor. It is especially bad if you are streaming it. I really hope they do something about that

Also need a floor that doesn’t make everything look so washed out on TV

Yeah, something is definitely off. It must be the way the light reflects off the floor at that angle or something, figuring the floor is not an unusual color?

Summary of thoughts:

I am manifestly frustrated and angry that, as yet, there is no monorail! Who's in charge here?

As someone who took the [name redacted]/Manning years off after missing very few games in the Joel from opening night in 1989 until Dino was canned, when I walked back into the building for the UNC game earlier this season, it just felt run down, old, cavernous and crappy. I'm not sure I agree that it has good bones. It's time for the Joel to retire or go under the knife for a complete redo from the court up with a focus on creating a loud, hostile environment. 1989 was a long time ago...paint and a few banners/signs aren't going to cut it.

Last edited:
Agree about the floor. And to me the color of the WF also. Looks bland beige, and doesn’t contrast with the floor enough, making everything look even more washed out.

The point about the floor is even more clear when you contrast it with other ACC venues that I see on TV, such as Clemson the other night.

This! our floor looks terrible on TV- it makes the players jersey's blend right in to the floor. It is especially bad if you are streaming it. I really hope they do something about that

Yes! One of my 7 y/o girls asked why there were less Deacons on the court than the other team last night.

Last night's broadcast was particularly bad. The brightness and contrast were turned up to the max.

Back