• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Updates to the Joel?

It is hard to justify putting what would probably be at least $50M into the Joel when Baylor is building a brand new stadium for $105M.

It is hard to justify putting what would probably be at least $50M into the Joel when Baylor is building a brand new stadium for $105M.

This is where I am on the topic.

I somewhat disagree. $50M saved is $50M saved, and the Joel isn't just going away. We already own it. IF (and that's the key) you can achieve the same/similar result inside of the existing shell for $50M as you could by building new for $105M, I'd absolutely rather renovate the Joel than build new. Less money, less wasteful, keeps ties for nostalgia sake, etc.

JMU raised started construction after raising $12 million. I checked it out on a recent trip to DC. Right off the interstate. Very nice.

I somewhat disagree. $50M saved is $50M saved, and the Joel isn't just going away. We already own it. IF (and that's the key) you can achieve the same/similar result inside of the existing shell for $50M as you could by building new for $105M, I'd absolutely rather renovate the Joel than build new. Less money, less wasteful, keeps ties for nostalgia sake, etc.
If you want nostalgia from this dump we can sell the seats out of it for $1000.00 each to kick off the fund raising.

Last edited:
Why did you single out Ph for that pithy insult when it was Mack who posted the $105M figure?

We should bring in the architect that did the renovation at Reynolds Colisseum.

Price tag for the new Baylor arena is actually $185M so you were only off by 76%, professor.

City of Waco will be chipping in $65M:

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/waco-baylor-partner-on-185-million-basketball-concert-venue-in-downtown/article_21fa9f72-5f7f-11ec-a768-233a808608c3.html
He's not off. I took the cost from the article of Baylor site. It's in the article. They didn't mention Waco. Doesn't matter. Use JMU example. We don't need a parking deck.

Unwad your panties, bbd.

Did not see the $105M figure posted on previous page.

Angus is so stupid that he finds a weird superiority about caring enough to find a more recent article. And that article even states that the cost was $105M and increased because the city want to get involved and upgrade it to host concerts.

“Baylor officials said the costs of acquiring land and upgrading the venue to host concerts account for much of the increase in the project budget from $105 million to $185 million, and the city is paying for most of that differential.”

So it looks like basketball facility cost $105M.

I guess when you’re wrong as often as Angus, you’ve got to manufacture something for others to be “wrong” about even if it shows that he’s actually wrong.

Last edited:
If built on same site, we need condo tower to accomdate alumni who need when attending football games and other events. Make a ton of money to help finance project.

Angus is so stupid that he finds a weird superiority about caring enough to find a more recent article. And that article even states that the cost was $105M and increased because the city want to get involved and upgrade it to host concerts.

“Baylor officials said the costs of acquiring land and upgrading the venue to host concerts account for much of the increase in the project budget from $105 million to $185 million, and the city is paying for most of that differential.”

So it looks like basketball facility cost $105M.

I guess when you’re wrong as often as Angus, you’ve got to manufacture something for others to be “wrong” about even if it shows that he’s actually wrong.
Wake has no need to acquire land. So even less money.

I see your point. Currie and the powers that be have a decision to make. Salvage what was build in 1989, build something that will last past 2089, or figure out how to do both.

One way to address a lot of problems would be to build a new arena in the Joel parking lot, demolish the Joel and in its place work with the city to expand the current Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial. Or build in the Groves parking lot and leave the Joel space for parking and a memorial.

Last edited:
Looks like the Baylor and JMU arenas were/are being built on open land. I'm sure we can find a few ogboards posters to handle demolition of the Joel for free.

I would expect we could do some pretty major renovations for $30M or less?

Back