• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Updates to the Joel?

The Joel is a fossil, just like 3/4 of the people you see on tv in attendance. An update is much needed and welcomed. Regardless of if we have a packed house, it’s still a very outdated place

I don’t have a problem with our fanbase being older - based on past results, that’s just the way things are. I do have a problem with “fossils” who refuse to stand up and cheer the team on at key moments during the game. Even at the best moments you’ll only get 1/2 of a section standing.

The old folks are the same everywhere. The only difference at Wake is where we choose to put them. The great stadiums hide them just above the students.

We had 8300 fans yesterday. Normal college basketball fans in the worst possible setup for 8300 fans.

The fans aren’t the problem. They are pretty much the same around the P5. The problem is our choice of a 14k tractor pull, civic design setup for them.

We need a traditional college basketball set up. Student risers down low, seating capacity that matches a typical bubble game crowd for us—which is exactly what that was yesterday.

No, you “speak for yourself” and get real. 9500 seats is more than enough capacity for “accessibility”to Wake Forest basketball games. Let’s win 4 or 5 Championships before you start whining about how hard it is to get a ticket. Horses before carts and all that.

I don’t mean accessibility in terms of tickets. I mean in terms of ease of parking and walking in to the arena.

I am fine with a 9500 seat arena. But I think relocating to a spot where it’s harder to park and walk in will really affect attendance.

Yesterday the entire lower level was standing as Wake fought to go ahead.

Including the fossils.

I do agree with putting students front and center. Still plenty of decent seats for other paying people.

If they really cared, they’d put the team first and build a venue that allows for them to be perched above the young folks who can stand the whole game.

Do they care enough about winning over where they sit? For many, the answer to that is No.

If they really cared, they’d put the team first and build a venue that allows for them to be perched above the young folks who can stand the whole game.

Do they care enough about winning over where they sit? For many, the answer to that is No.

You seem to care more than anyone. When do you announce your lead gift to the capital campaign?

Part of the advantage of a smaller arena is it doesn’t matter if local fans show up or not.

You think we can get enough hardcore wake fans and students to show up to fill an 8-9K seat arena?

3-4K maybe.

You seem to care more than anyone. When do you announce your lead gift to the capital campaign?

I have pledged significant financial support for the project, if done correctly. Need about 49 more folks like me and we’ll have it done.

I have pledged significant financial support for the project, if done correctly. Need about 49 more folks like me and we’ll have it done.

Going public with those commitments is a good way to kick off the campaign.

But glad to hear you’re in for 3.5-4M

What feedback have you received from the Athletic Dept?

8,355 attended yesterday according to the ESPN box.

Most of the athletic department staffers remain from the Wellman regime. They are still recovering from his “shut up and smile” directives.

It’s pretty clear here that folks are wising up. Took 30 years to realize it’s too big but at least many are there now and that’s all that matters. I think there is a unique window here to get a deal done.

Football is clearly on the rise. Ton of building projects and momentum. Now with the apparent turnaround in hoops, it does seem an ideal time to ride that wave to new/updated facilities in basketball. We have a chance to really explode athletically as a University in ways that we never have

Football is clearly on the rise. Ton of building projects and momentum. Now with the apparent turnaround in hoops, it does seem an ideal time to ride that wave to new/updated facilities in basketball. We have a chance to really explode athletically as a University in ways that we never have

Basketball got the player facility investment that FB is getting already with the Shah. While our fan amenities are lacking (like they are for FB to an extent), I can’t imagine there are many BB teams not wearing blue with better players facilities.

Basketball got the player facility investment that FB is getting already with the Shah. While our fan amenities are lacking (like they are for FB to an extent), I can’t imagine there are many BB teams not wearing blue with better players facilities.

Yep. Pretty sweet, actually, when the worse thing we have facility-wise is the Joel.

I don’t mean accessibility in terms of tickets. I mean in terms of ease of parking and walking in to the arena.

I am fine with a 9500 seat arena. But I think relocating to a spot where it’s harder to park and walk in will really affect attendance.

For fucks sake, old people go to games in places like the United Center in Chicago, MSG, etc. And some of these people drive 1-2 hours to get to a game. You think they won't walk 10 minutes if needed?

For fucks sake, old people go to games in places like the United Center in Chicago, MSG, etc. And some of these people drive 1-2 hours to get to a game. You think they won't walk 10 minutes if needed?

two things:

1) The number of hardcore Wake Forest fans who are willing to go through a hassle to get to a game is drastically lower than an NBA fanbase.
2) People have different expectations for accessing entertainment when they don't live in a dense metro area.

Wake is not competing with United Center and MSG for these fans. They are competing with other entertainment options in Winston-Salem. And those other options allow you to park close and walk right in.

Back