• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Updates to the Joel?

High Point is notorious for never borrowing money. Their debt is outweighed vastly by their assets. I believe their asset to debt ratio is nearly 10:1. Which is truly remarkable. HPU is so rich they scoff at a 170 million dollar project.

This is just incredibly inaccurate. HPU is well-known for holding enormous amounts of debt:

"High Point’s attempt to build, or even create, its brand is ambitious and perhaps unprecedented. There are certainly skeptics. The transformation is reliant on a level of debt that is rarely seen in higher education, and a 2012 Businessweek article pointed out that Moody’s downgraded High Point bonds to junk status after the university borrowed $165 million. That same article included the factoid that High Point paid nearly $1 million annually to a public relations and consulting business run by Qubein’s daughter. The real question, of course, is whether any college or university is capable of changing its reputation significantly. High Point is a great case study in answering that question."

Source: https://www.insidehighered.com/admi...problems-justice-departments-campaign-against

High Point is notorious for never borrowing money. Their debt is outweighed vastly by their assets. I believe their asset to debt ratio is nearly 10:1. Which is truly remarkable. HPU is so rich they scoff at a 170 million dollar project.

Wake's endowment is $1.35 billion. High Point's is $76 million.

You're just trolling at this point.

This couldn't be further from the truth. You seem to be full of shit a lot

Who are the rich alumni who give all these billions to HPU? Before Quido, HPU was a little school way behind Guilford and Elon in just about everything. The place is just gaudy and still has a crap academic reputation. For instance, compare the new arenas at Elon and HPU. Elon’s looks great and cost $50 million. The Quido center cost $170 million and is tiny with a dome “like Madison Square Garden.” It’s all bells and whistles.

Add that HPU isn’t in top 20 schools in NC. 80% acceptance rate and 60% graduation rate with very low average earnings 5 years after graduation

Who gives a shit about their academics. We're talking facilities and HPU has done a great job building shit including a new basketball arena. Call it gaudy but I personally think what they've done is remarkable.

Who gives a shit about their academics. We're talking facilities and HPU has done a great job building shit including a new basketball arena. Call it gaudy but I personally think what they've done is remarkable.

They're 11-14, #252 in kenpom, and average 2500 fans per game. So if their academics and athletics are trash, does it really matter that they have a new arena?

Sure, as long as they can manage all that debt.

Forgetting for a fact that this is hilariously wrong from a factual standpoint...anyone who isn't using leverage at the historically low interest rates of the last handful or years is an idiot.

They're 11-14, #252 in kenpom, and average 2500 fans per game. So if their academics and athletics are trash, does it really matter that they have a new arena?

It matters. But ONLY if it is an on-campus arena.

I have come to the conclusion that WSSUgrad is trolling us with all the T-Birds and HPU shit.

I've long thought he works for the tbirds, but he has never admitted it.

It's not just donations from alums that have helped HPU - Nido has done an incredible job getting local wealth to support his endeavors even if they had no prior connection to the school. It's come at the expense of other charitable causes in High Point, I'm afraid, but there's no doubt he's raised a lot of money and completely transformed the campus. As others have pointed out, academics have (thus far, at least) not improved at the same rate. If you think Wake's students drive nice cars, you should see what these kids at HPU drive. It's crazy. Getting rich parents to pay full freight (at tuition levels comparable to elite private schools in the area) to spend four years in a resort-style university is certainly a creative model.

It's not just donations from alums that have helped HPU - Nido has done an incredible job getting local wealth to support his endeavors even if they had no prior connection to the school. It's come at the expense of other charitable causes in High Point, I'm afraid, but there's no doubt he's raised a lot of money and completely transformed the campus. As others have pointed out, academics have (thus far, at least) not improved at the same rate. If you think Wake's students drive nice cars, you should see what these kids at HPU drive. It's crazy. Getting rich parents to pay full freight (at tuition levels comparable to elite private schools in the area) to spend four years in a resort-style university is certainly a creative model.

It's a fascinating case study. I think the house of cards falls soon after his outsized personality is no longer there.

If someone attended Saturday's big game in the Joel versus Miami and then goes to the Wake game tomorrow night down the road in Cameron, they will then know first hand why we need a new stadium.

Thousands of empty seats Saturday. Literally choir practice in there in the second half. All alums in every stadium are going to sit most of the games. And ours certainly did, right there in the seats between the free throw lines. Our students energy was buried. It was a disaster and killed a great season.

Did our lack of a crowd cause the turnovers? Of course not. Would the proper environment have helped? Of course it would. Would we have won with the proper venue? Who knows, and I am not saying that we would have. But, because of structure of our stadium, our normal fan base was not able to do our part.

I hope we didn't have any potential recruits on hand. They would pick another school.

Forbes will be on the hot stove market again for next year as he well should be. We should be stewards of the Wake Forest program for long after Forbes is gone. If we renovate this horrific venue, we are the problem. We must rip the band aid off and build a new 7K-8K seat basketball only venue with proper standing risers for students between the free throw lines allowing our alums to have great seats perched just above them.

If someone attended Saturday's big game in the Joel versus Miami and then goes to the Wake game tomorrow night down the road in Cameron, they will then know first hand why we need a new stadium.

Thousands of empty seats Saturday. Literally choir practice in there in the second half. All alums in every stadium are going to sit most of the games. And ours certainly did, right there in the seats between the free throw lines. Our students energy was buried. It was a disaster and killed a great season.

Did our lack of a crowd cause the turnovers? Of course not. Would the proper environment have helped? Of course it would. Would we have won with the proper venue? Who knows, and I am not saying that we would have. But, because of structure of our stadium, our normal fan base was not able to do our part.

I hope we didn't have any potential recruits on hand. They would pick another school.

Forbes will be on the hot stove market again for next year as he well should be. We should be stewards of the Wake Forest program for long after Forbes is gone. If we renovate this horrific venue, we are the problem. We must rip the band aid off and build a new 7K-8K seat basketball only venue with proper standing risers for students between the free throw lines allowing our alums to have great seats perched just above them.

Nailed, Saturday was exhibit of A of the tired excuse that "If we are good, the Joel will be filled"

Back