• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Urban Meyer Credibility Watch (NWT)

One of three things will happen:

(1) Meyer will be suspended for 3 or 4 games to begin the season, OSU will go on to win its Big 10 division, then Kirk Hirbstreit will talk about the resolve of the OSU program to overcome the "adversity";

(2) Meyer will be canned and then the NCAA will arrange for Nick Saban to come to OSU with a 5 year moratorium on any NCAA enforcement;

(3) absolutely nothing happens.

Option 1!

The article on ESPN by Dinich is awful.

No surprising, knowing tOSU. But Meyer is tainted forever. Wouldn't send my kid to somewhere he's coaching.

He was already tainted forever, dude created Aaron Hernandez. But it is Ohio State, so they didn't care and aren't going to care any more now, hence the slap on the wrist.

Thought he was going to be reinstated immediately, and apparently the majority of the trustees wanted to go that route, but the president and a small minority of trustees would not give in. Firing wasn't even on the table based on the evidence, or lack thereof. In the end, the fact that Meyer (or Gene Smith) did not report the alleged DV to tOSU Compliance/HR was a big factor, and it was obvious they viewed that he had some sort of moral responsibility to have taken action, not simply rely on law enforcement.

The report that came out from the investigation was more damning than I expected. The fact that Meyer asked a stafffer how to delete all text messages more than a year old is not a good look at all. He also looked like a petulant teenager reading a statement solely because he had to be there during the press conference. If he just owned it and pledged his lost wages (or matched them) to DV victims/awareness, the optics would have been so much better.

That press conference was terrible. He really did look like a hostage reading a statement, and I fully believe that's how he wanted it to come across.

In the news this morning, Urban Myer is a prick. In other breaking news, the sun is going to come up in the east and gravity is still working today.

What I don't get is that this domestic violence seemed to be the worst secret in columbus for the last few years, yet Urban Meyer is the only one under spotlight.
True, he is the face of tOSU.
True, he did lie at the media days.
True, he probably did know and should be fired for not reporting it.
True, his press conference was horrible.

But I find it hard to believe that no one else is also being held accountable for not reporting the abuse.

What I don't get is that this domestic violence seemed to be the worst secret in columbus for the last few years, yet Urban Meyer is the only one under spotlight.

But I find it hard to believe that no one else is also being held accountable for not reporting the abuse.

they did suspend the AD without pay as well, for essentially the same length of time

It's been documented that he was made aware of the allegations by Gene Smith (AD), who was made aware by the Title IX coordinator. But, in the investigation's report, he did get dinged for not "re-reporting" it. I guess there was some sort of other HR/Compliance body he was supposed to make aware as well. Seems like that would be more appropriate for the Title IX officer to do, but perhaps that's the fan bias talking.

ETA: the rest of your post, I agree with. While the committee determined he did not "intentionlly lie or deceive" at media days, it was obvious that his statements were misleading, at best, and very poorly handled. He's certainly 0-2 vs. the press conferences with two Iowa-like defeats.

Last edited:
I think this is going to go the way of Pitino. Pitino got to stick around after throwing his mistress up against a wall in public, but when things are that out of control, and reporters know it and smell blood in the water, it is only a matter of time before shoes, 2,3,4 and 5 drop.

Smith was completely out of control for a decade. If Urban ignored that, he ignored a bunch of shady shit. Let's not forget this is the guy who recruited and coached Aaron Hernandez.

There is certainly more shit out there. Only a matter of time before too much hits the rusty midwestern fan.

It's been documented that he was made aware of the allegations by Gene Smith (AD), who was made aware by the Title IX coordinator. But, in the investigation's report, he did get dinged for not "re-reporting" it. I guess there was some sort of other HR/Compliance body he was supposed to make aware as well. Seems like that would be more appropriate for the Title IX officer to do, but perhaps that's the fan bias talking.

ETA: the rest of your post, I agree with. While the committee determined he did not "intentionlly lie or deceive" at media days, it was obvious that his statements were misleading, at best, and very poorly handled. He's certainly 0-2 vs. the press conferences with two Iowa-like defeats.

Urban Meyer is a great man.

"After a news report that raised questions about what the famed Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer knew about past domestic violence allegations against one of his closest assistant coaches, he wanted to know one important thing. How to delete old text messages on his phone.

Meyer and a top athletic administrator discussed how to adjust the settings, a university report released on Wednesday said, and when Ohio State’s investigators obtained the phone, they discovered no messages on it older than a year."

Apparently UM suffers from selective memory loss due to his medications. He probably has already forgot how badly he behaved during his presser. The only serious question is how this whole episode will affect his recruiting and the parents he comes in contact with?

Urban Meyer is a great man.

"After a news report that raised questions about what the famed Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer knew about past domestic violence allegations against one of his closest assistant coaches, he wanted to know one important thing. How to delete old text messages on his phone.

Meyer and a top athletic administrator discussed how to adjust the settings, a university report released on Wednesday said, and when Ohio State’s investigators obtained the phone, they discovered no messages on it older than a year."

Shocking Michigan fan take! Certainly is a bad look for Meyer. Though I know I would not want anyone going through years of my text messages. Don't think I've done/said anything blatantly unlawful, but there would inevitably be some damning stuff I would not want to go public.

Speaking of Michigan, this is describing sexual assault by one Michigan's starting WRs this year, Grant Perry. Oh and he was actually charged and accepted a felony plea deal (that would/will be expunged). Where was the national outrage over this? Or the kicker who raped a girl in 2009, but remained on the team until 2013, with other teammates intimidating the victim to cover up the rape?

"The defendant's eyes were one thing I'll never forget," she said, according to MLive. "His wide eyes while he was saying foul words, licking his lips, hunching his shoulders over me and then grabbing the most personal part of my body with intent to make me feel as if I had no control over my body."

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2017/08/michigan_fully_reinstates_wr_g.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2014/02/25/college-football-michigan-wolverines-brendan-gibbons-rape-investigation/5810011/

Who cares about what happened anywhere else?

Should we let a bank robber off in NC because a bank robber in TN didn't go to jail?

Who cares about what happened anywhere else?

Should we let a bank robber off in NC because a bank robber in TN didn't go to jail?

Those incidents were proven to have happened, with convictions/pleas, and there was little to no national outgage. These are allegations, of which the alleged victim's own mother calls lies and a smear-campaign, and every social justice warrior/media "expert" is calling for a scalp of the figurehead involved. The figurehead who did NOT cover anything up (as falsely reported), who knew the AD, Title IX officer, and law enforcement were aware of the allegations and proceedings.

Did Meyer handle things poorly? Yes. Should Zach Smith have been fired years ago for being a piece of shit, in general? Yes. Did he handle the press conferences terribly? Yes. Should he have shown some level of contrition? Yes. Should he have received some consequences, i.e. the suspension? Yes. Should he have lost his job? Hell no.

It's interesting how I've spoken, in person, with Tennessee, UNC, Florida (of all schools), NC State fans, none of whom like Meyer, but all of whom think it's ridiculous to think he'd lose his job over this, and the level of outrage involved.

Those incidents were proven to have happened, with convictions/pleas, and there was little to no national outgage. These are allegations, of which the alleged victim's own mother calls lies and a smear-campaign, and every social justice warrior/media "expert" is calling for a scalp of the figurehead involved. The figurehead who did NOT cover anything up (as falsely reported), who knew the AD, Title IX officer, and law enforcement were aware of the allegations and proceedings.

Did Meyer handle things poorly? Yes. Should Zach Smith have been fired years ago for being a piece of shit, in general? Yes. Did he handle the press conferences terribly? Yes. Should he have shown some level of contrition? Yes. Should he have received some consequences, i.e. the suspension? Yes. Should he have lost his job? Hell no.

It's interesting how I've spoken, in person, with Tennessee, UNC, Florida (of all schools), NC State fans, none of whom like Meyer, but all of whom think it's ridiculous to think he'd lose his job over this, and the level of outrage involved.

Its weird that you care so much about a shitty human being. Are you using figurehead correctly here?

Dude just stop. The guy is a POS who has been a POS for decades. He has covered up or mitigated dozens of crimes and will continue to do so. The worst thing is, like Pitino he either doesn't think he's done anything wrong or is too stupid to know what is actually going on. Either way, you either knew or you should have known and done something about it. Should be fired either way.

The crazy thing about this to me is no one cares whatsoever about the guy who actually committed DV

Back