• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

US federal judge rules NSA phone program likely unconstitutional

If you agreed with Daniel Ellsberg's decision to give the NYT the Pentagon Papers then you should support Edward Snowden.

Daniel Ellsberg champions him and his reasons for taking the action he did.

Pentagon Papers excerpt...from Wiki

A 1996 article in The New York Times said that the Pentagon Papers had demonstrated, among other things, that the Johnson Administration "systematically lied, not only to the public but also to Congress."[2]

Looks like a duck...

Last edited:

You realize this exact report is linked two posts above you.

It also sports a 30% "unknown" method of investigation. Their findings could also be stated as "Documented NSA investigations based on data collection are equal to all leads provided by the FBI, CIA, and all other external intelligence agencies combined."

A lot of the data collection and meta-data stockpiling are still extremely immature anyway. Big data is a relatively new field in computer science and they haven't been at it for that long - less than 5 years in most cases.

Additionally, the #1 use for Prism is for analytic purposes and trending information. It is not typically used as a primary method of identifying and instigating individual investigations - yet initiating investigations is all they considered.

The take away from that report seems to be that traditional methods of enforcement - family/friend tips and informants - are still vastly superior to any other method. But the next tier looks like a wash - 221 cases with 17 initiated by NSA data - no other method had over 20.

It's a great report, minus the 30% unknown part, but the articles written about it seem to be debunking a claim that hasn't been made - that the NSA programs are the best method or are responsible for initiating hundreds of successful terrorist investigations. The report seems to prove the methods are just another tool about equal to anything that isn't a direct, first-hand tip.

his speech punts almost all reform back to Congress, which is telling because he knows very well that they'll do nothing.

Apparently he thinks he needs Congressional authorization to have someone argue the privacy side before the FISA court. What, the justice department doesn't have any lawyers to spare that can attend those hearings and argue for the Constitution? Give me a break.

Yeah, the problem is that the expansion and enhancement of cybersecurity and cyberintelligence on the domestic and international level will be defining challenges of the next century. The scope and transparency of the programs might be curtailed, at least publicly, in the short term, but I'd be extremely surprised if we weren't doing the same things we're doing now throughout the coming decades.

At least there's a dialog going on among the major players now so public policy and corporate involvement won't be shaped solely by the intelligence agencies.

Yeah, the problem is that the expansion and enhancement of cybersecurity and cyberintelligence on the domestic and international level will be defining challenges of the next century. The scope and transparency of the programs might be curtailed, at least publicly, in the short term, but I'd be extremely surprised if we weren't doing the same things we're doing now throughout the coming decades.

At least there's a dialog going on among the major players now so public policy and corporate involvement won't be shaped solely by the intelligence agencies.

596px-2010-05-14-USCYBERCOM_Logo.jpg

his speech punts almost all reform back to Congress, which is telling because he knows very well that they'll do nothing.

Apparently he thinks he needs Congressional authorization to have someone argue the privacy side before the FISA court. What, the justice department doesn't have any lawyers to spare that can attend those hearings and argue for the Constitution? Give me a break.

It is especially funny when you consider how he loves to proclaim all the things he is allowed to do by executive order. A little video of our future "commander in chief" back in the day.

It's amazing what a senator learns when he becomes POTUS. I'm sorry learning and growth are definitely not attributes RWers think are positive. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to brainwash poor and middle class people to vote against their own self-interest to vote Republican. Things like the "death tax" and the biggest economic scam of the 20th century-supply side/trickle down economics would never have support with the lies and brainwashing.

It is especially funny when you consider how he loves to proclaim all the things he is allowed to do by executive order. A little video of our future "commander in chief" back in the day.

Wow - Obama really sucks. I voted for the guy in that video. What happened?

He became President. Weight of the world and all that BS. Now we know what happens to good intentions so we will be more critical. Remember that when Christie starts whispering in your ear, Wrangor.

Diane Feinstein and Mike Rogers said Snowden has said he brought a "scraping program" with him to the NSA. Apparently the one he used is a very sophisticated program and not available to the public. Where did he get it? How did he get the papers to travel and the money?

Also much of gathering process was above his abilities without outside help.

As we peel this onion there are more and more questions.

Anyone have a pic of his alleged hot ex-girlfriend?

He became President. Weight of the world and all that BS. Now we know what happens to good intentions so we will be more critical. Remember that when Christie starts whispering in your ear, Wrangor.

One of these days we will elect a president with a backbone to do what is right. I will continue to try and vote for that guy. I know Hillary isn't. So if it is Christie vs. Hillary my vote will be very easy.

Back