• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"US is defending ISIS" Russia convenes UN Security Council after major US fuck up

A couple of observations:

1, The Russkies have perhaps softened their tone and are now being more diplomatic by saying that the US "appears to be aiding ISIS." At least that's what I saw in a CNN report.

2. We can look forward to a lot of mischief in the coming weeks. "Allies" pursuing different ends and profoundly distrustful of each other will have misunderstandings galore during military actions and peacekeeping.

3. The fog of war is a pretty appropriate expression. Unfortunately, this kind of stuff happens even under the best of circumstances.

4. We may have made a mistake.

5. Or we may have done it deliberately to retaliate against Russia for hitting some of our Syrian friends, when they first started bombing in Syria. The Russkies may have hit our allies deliberately too. You hit my pals, I will hit your pals back. Messages sent: no settlement without us.

6. No way to know yet, or if we will ever know the exact facts and circumstances.

7. The Russkies will make their international points but neither side has an interest in prolonging the situation or letting it worsen.

Bob2 posts a Russian propaganda piece and Wrangor calls him the "reasonable one".

I can't wait for them to team up on an analysis of Kim Jong Un shooting a 11 on the back nine at the Pyongyang Open.

So did the event not happen? I'm glad he posted it and got discussion going. It is a major world event. He put the title in quotes and gave his opinion later that he felt it was an accident or a mistake.

I know BSF posts a lot of crap but this one is actually pretty interesting and salient. He is getting spillover hate that doesn't really deserve here IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a macro level, there are no good guys in Syria. Letting these animals kill each other and staying the fuck out is unfortunately the smart short term play.

I'm grateful Obama has kept us out of it.

On a macro level, there are no good guys in Syria. Letting these animals kill each other and staying the fuck out is unfortunately the smart short term play.

On a macro level just letting Trump be president and Nuke whomever we don't like is the smart short term play now while we got the muscle, not 100 years from now when we continue to exist as 300 different countries with 300 different adgendas after technologically everyone has caught up to us and has the muscle to do some damage. #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

and the refugees keep coming and the terrorists get havens and support, the Russkies are able to strengthen their position in the ME, there is a cost for non-action as well

and the refugees keep coming and the terrorists get havens and support, the Russkies are able to strengthen their position in the ME, there is a cost for non-action as well

well we don't have to worry about Russia gaining power after we Make America Great Again. We'll be besties.

7. The Russkies will make their international points but neither side has an interest in prolonging the situation or letting it worsen.

Russia has a huge interest in prolonging this situation. The refugee situation from this conflict is putting huge pressure on the western European governments which Russia is already actively working to destabilize - they are perfectly to happy to keep that up. Assad in power and a steady stream of refugees to Europe causing deep political divisions within the EU and NATO is the perfect scenario for the Kremlin (also allows them to use scare tactics at home to further solidify domestic support).

Have you taken the time to look up any other sources on what happened? The US military clearly and directly helped ISIS. If you want to say that help was unintentional, I think you're probably right. But why do you feel Americans should remain ignorant of what the Russian position is? I think everyone knows RT is funded by the Russian government and tends to present the Kremlin perspective. I still regularly visit Deutsche Welle, even thought it's funded by the German government and tends to promote the position of the German establishment. I still find it to be a worthwhile source.

DW is an actual news organization. RT is propaganda and conspiracy theory bullshit without any reporting behind it. They are not equivalent in any way at all. Learn to be critical with your sources, it's a key part of consuming media.

If you want to read English language news from a Russian perspective you can go to the main state news agency (yes, it has a pro-Kremlin bent but it's an actual news agency with actual reporting) RIA - it's branded as Sputnik for English speaking audiences: https://sputniknews.com/ or you can read the only independent English language paper based in Russia: https://themoscowtimes.com/

Russia has a huge interest in prolonging this situation. The refugee situation from this conflict is putting huge pressure on the western European governments which Russia is already actively working to destabilize - they are perfectly to happy to keep that up. Assad in power and a steady stream of refugees to Europe causing deep political divisions within the EU and NATO is the perfect scenario for the Kremlin (also allows them to use scare tactics at home to further solidify domestic support).

by "situation" I was referring to the momentary confrontation over the bombing of the Syrian troops

the long term interest of Russia is not the destabilization of Europe but the return of normal trade relations and the end of the embargo; Europe is not going anywhere, and neither is Russia, their mutual long term interest is stable peace and beneficial trade

the uneasy "co-operation" in Syria by the US and Russia will have its ups and downs and provide lots of opportunities for mischief

+1 Russia actually learned a lesson in Afghanistan which apparently we didn't. They watched us bleed them dry by providing some stinger missles to an insurgency and tie them up for a decade at little to no cost to us. Now they're doing the same, and like history indicates, it's working. Infighting between NATO allies is the goal, bankrupting EU countries is the goal, re-establishing the old Soviet Union is the goal.

DW is an actual news organization. RT is propaganda and conspiracy theory bullshit without any reporting behind it. They are not equivalent in any way at all. Learn to be critical with your sources, it's a key part of consuming media.

If you want to read English language news from a Russian perspective you can go to the main state news agency (yes, it has a pro-Kremlin bent but it's an actual news agency with actual reporting) RIA - it's branded as Sputnik for English speaking audiences: https://sputniknews.com/ or you can read the only independent English language paper based in Russia: https://themoscowtimes.com/

I disagree. RT regularly has academics on. Much of their programming is worthwhile. It's of at least as much value as CNN/Fox News/MSNBC. The interviews are often worthwhile. Sure, there are also plenty of crackpots who are of little value, but corporate outlets like CNN tend to have people on who are tied to the establishment and are of no value. Their standards have really dropped compared to what they once were.

Plus keeping this going can get Putin's agent more votes in the US.

A couple of observations:

1, The Russkies have perhaps softened their tone and are now being more diplomatic by saying that the US "appears to be aiding ISIS." At least that's what I saw in a CNN report.

2. We can look forward to a lot of mischief in the coming weeks. "Allies" pursuing different ends and profoundly distrustful of each other will have misunderstandings galore during military actions and peacekeeping.

3. The fog of war is a pretty appropriate expression. Unfortunately, this kind of stuff happens even under the best of circumstances.

4. We may have made a mistake.

5. Or we may have done it deliberately to retaliate against Russia for hitting some of our Syrian friends, when they first started bombing in Syria. The Russkies may have hit our allies deliberately too. You hit my pals, I will hit your pals back. Messages sent: no settlement without us.

6. No way to know yet, or if we will ever know the exact facts and circumstances.

We can also look forward to at least one really stupid fucker saying ISIS is attacking in an attempt to sway the election to Trump.

hmmm

The United States has reached the preliminary conclusion that Russian warplanes bombed an aid convoy and warehouse belonging to the Syrian Arab Red Crescent, two US officials told CNN.

Pretty disgusting if true. Purposely killing aid troops is a war crime.

All in the name of denying supplies to citizens in an area controlled by a proxy-enemy.

This is the man who Trump admires.
Well he doesn't put up with any nonsense! The Kim Jong-un fellow is pretty cool too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Pretty disgusting if true. Purposely killing aid troops is a war crime.

All in the name of denying supplies to citizens in an area controlled by a proxy-enemy.

This is the man who Trump admires.

BKF will defend.

Back