• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

US News 2024 Rankings (Wake #47)

Figure this fits here.

For the entirety of America’s existence, the Ivy League has provided an essential service. In sorting the best and the brightest upon admission and then rigorously educating them, these “Ancient Eight” universities have provided employers, investors and even voters a meritocratic seal of approval. Some one-third of U.S. presidents and the current Forbes 400 list of richest Americans are Ivy alums, as well as eight sitting members of the Supreme Court.

But as evident just by reading or watching the news, something feels distinctly off on Ivy League campuses. While it’s easy to chalk up the ham-handed protests, policies and presidential resignations to a particular moment right now, this erosion is several years in the making.

I'm a little sad that we're not on the new list, and by looking at acceptance and test scores, I can't imagine we're close. I never considered BC a better school than Wake.

that's a very interesting article and they were talking about it on Morning Joe this AM in regards to spoiled Ivy leaguers playing weekend radical about Gaza

Any school that doesn’t use test scores was automatically removed from the list so it was impossible for Wake to make it just like any California school. Also that article puts an awful lot of weight into a poll of 300 Forbes newsletter subscribers.

Any school that doesn’t use test scores was automatically removed from the list so it was impossible for Wake to make it just like any California school. Also that article puts an awful lot of weight into a poll of 300 Forbes newsletter subscribers.
Also, Wake's acceptance rate is 22% and my Googling says our average SAT is 1395.

I have a hard time believing that, compared to high school grades, standardized test scores could be a better predictor of college success -- success that is usually evaluated in terms of...grades

Otherwise, the publics list is pretty close to the one I'd make. (excluding CA schools)

Drop Maryland and Binghamton and substitute in Rutgers and Ohio State. U Washington honorable mention.

Privates list is very good, though I wouldn't have put MIT on a list of "ivies +"

The conclusion: great state schools and ascendant private ones are turning out hungry graduates; the Ivies are more apt to turn out entitled ones. And in creating the latter, the Ivies have taken the value they’ve spent centuries creating—a degree that employers craved—and in just a few years done a lot to forfeit it.

“For some, they believe once they've got the sheepskin, that's their ticket. How dare you question my competency,” says Prager.…

Otherwise, the publics list is pretty close to the one I'd make. (excluding CA schools)

Drop Maryland and Binghamton and substitute in Rutgers and Ohio State. U Washington honorable mention.

Privates list is very good, though I wouldn't have put MIT on a list of "ivies +"
I was surprised about Binghamton, but Maryland is a good school.

I didn't think Rutgers was though.

Damn. 100% of my self-worth is tied up in having a degree from Wake Forest.
Once upon a time, WFU was the VERY BEST regional university. Then changed to national university around top 25. Now, barely hanging on in the top 50.

Once upon a time, WFU was the VERY BEST regional university. Then changed to national university around top 25. Now, barely hanging on in the top 50.
that is, if you put your trust in the US News & World Report

which I do not

That's not how I interpreted it. Wake doesn't refuse to look at test scores, they just aren't mandatory, which seems to be the case for many schools on those lists. And the Forbes subscribers are mostly people making hiring decisions, so I think their opinions matter.

I base my entire self worth off of a number calculated using an arbitrary algorithm
It's not arbitrary just because you disagree with the embedded objectives. The metrics they use are trying to capture what they think the purpose of a university is. One of the big problems here for Wake is that Wake sees the purpose of a university differently from institutions like University of Florida or Harvard and the US New and World Report people tend to agree with UF and Harvard but 20 years ago agreed more with Wake. All that's really happened here is a shifting of the relative importance of metrics embedded with in the ranking scores.

It's amazing how many people care about this considering that in most people's careers their undergraduate degree is pretty much meaningless by the time they are 30 (if not before that). Especially if you go on to get a graduate degree of any kind, where your undergraduate degree is from really doesn't mean much in my experience, and it certainly doesn't mean much if your undergraduate institution is ranked #29 or #51.

It's amazing how many people care about this considering that in most people's careers their undergraduate degree is pretty much meaningless by the time they are 30 (if not before that). Especially if you go on to get a graduate degree of any kind, where your undergraduate degree is from really doesn't mean much in my experience, and it certainly doesn't mean much if your undergraduate institution is ranked #29 or #51.

Not amazing on a message board about college sports that are even less relevant to people’s careers.

Rankings only matter on the board so that those off that actually attended when it was a top 25 school can laugh at the regional college donks.

Back