• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

US News 2024 Rankings (Wake #47)

This thread is a good example of changing times. 80K at a private school or less than 20K out of state with good numbers at an Alabama or Florida St type school. Sure Wake may be better academically but a 3.5 at Alabama trumps a 2.8 at Wake any day of the week in terms of grad school or the job market. Throw in a savings of 240K it really makes a lot of sense. Even if you have the means to pay the extra 240K is it worth it? Most large state campus are great and there is tons to do at any of those schools. Tuscaloosa is mediocre...but Winston certainly isn't anything to write home about either. Football season would certainly be more fun.
who cares about GPA after your first job??

Agree to disagree on that point. Charlottesville is a nice town. So is Chapel Hill, although it’s now being gobbled up in Triangle sprawl. T-Town is fine in my opinion, and way better than Auburn.
Probably belongs in the unpopular opinions thread, but I think Chapel Hill is nicer than Charlottesville, at least as it applies to the actual campus and actual town. The surrounding areas are very different, so it depends on what you're looking for.

I grew up around Chapel Hill and would love to move back.

I like Chapel Hill just fine and have adult friends who live there. It's just changed a lot over the past couple of decades.

47th (a 6 way tie for 47th, I might add) is simply not sustainable. I don't see why we can't put ourselves back into the National Liberal Arts Colleges category with the service academies, Univ of Richmond, Davidson, etc... We will look a lot better there than battling it out with Virginia Fucking Tech for 47th. We'll be in the A10 in a few years anyway.

If these are the criteria, we are in an arms race with much better bankrolled schools. Hard to advance back up that ladder when SUNY Stony Brook is breathing down your neck.

47th (a 6 way tie for 47th, I might add) is simply not sustainable. I don't see why we can't put ourselves back into the National Liberal Arts Colleges category with the service academies, Univ of Richmond, Davidson, etc... We will look a lot better there than battling it out with Virginia Fucking Tech for 47th. We'll be in the A10 in a few years anyway.
Wake is in the National Universities category based on the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. There are no schools in the Liberal Arts category with medical and law schools, so I don't see any way Wake changes categories.

Well that's a bummer. Guess we're destined for second tier status with all the other grunts.

If these are the criteria, we are in an arms race with much better bankrolled schools. Hard to advance back up that ladder when SUNY Stony Brook is breathing down your neck.
Yes and no. It depends on what schools you include (med schools, professional schools, culinary schools, music schools, etc.), but in general, Wake has about the 50th largest endowment of all standard undergrad schools. As an example, Alabama has been mentioned several times here - their endowment is $1 billion, whereas Wake has $1.9 billion. And when compared by endowment per student, Wake blows Alabama (and many schools) out of the water.

You're going to college to get your first job.

Then after college your network at a big state school like UNC-CH is 10X as large and more likely to stay in NC than a Wake grad.
For those on non-traditional educational paths (which is common), GPA can be important for graduate school admissions 5-15 years after college.

Yes and no. It depends on what schools you include (med schools, professional schools, culinary schools, music schools, etc.), but in general, Wake has about the 50th largest endowment of all standard undergrad schools. As an example, Alabama has been mentioned several times here - their endowment is $1 billion, whereas Wake has $1.9 billion. And when compared by endowment per student, Wake blows Alabama (and many schools) out of the water.
Yeah. Wake plays in a lot of different pools. Wake is a very unique university. Wake is like Davidson, Elon, etc but with med, law, business, and doctoral programs. Wake is like Emory but with big time athletics. Wake is like Vandy and Duke but without the huge research expenditures.

I don't think WF's law school and med school (and business school, at the time) had any meaningful impact on my undergraduate experience. I don't see how the existence of those graduate schools impacts how an undergraduate institution should be classified, other than giving some easy sort parameters.

For those on non-traditional educational paths (which is common), GPA can be important for graduate school admissions 5-15 years after college.
I forgot about this - this is very true (even if I completely disagree re: whether or not it should be important)

Yeah. Wake plays in a lot of different pools. Wake is a very unique university. Wake is like Davidson, Elon, etc but with med, law, business, and doctoral programs. Wake is like Emory but with big time athletics. Wake is like Vandy and Duke but without the huge research expenditures.
For sure, which the school needs to emphasize.

Last edited:
I don't think WF's law school and med school (and business school, at the time) had any meaningful impact on my undergraduate experience. I don't see how the existence of those graduate schools impacts how an undergraduate institution should be classified, other than giving some easy sort parameters.
What did you major in? I went into medicine, and being able to do biomedical research at the med school as an undergrad was essential.

What did you major in? I went into medicine, and being able to do biomedical research at the med school as an undergrad was essential.
math and econ. What percentage of WF undergrads go to med school?

This thread is a good example of changing times. 80K at a private school or less than 20K out of state with good numbers at an Alabama or Florida St type school. Sure Wake may be better academically but a 3.5 at Alabama trumps a 2.8 at Wake any day of the week in terms of grad school or the job market. Throw in a savings of 240K it really makes a lot of sense. Even if you have the means to pay the extra 240K is it worth it? Most large state campus are great and there is tons to do at any of those schools. Tuscaloosa is mediocre...but Winston certainly isn't anything to write home about either. Football season would certainly be more fun.
There's a lot more to it than that. For example, the average indebtedness at Wake is $36,000 after 4 years and is $35,000 at Bama. Now, 50% of Wake students are paying full freight and have rich parents, so they owe nothing, but the other 50% of students get a major discount on tuition. The Wall Street Journal has a stat called "salary impact," which measures the cost of the school compared to average salaries of graduates, and Wake scores very well on this (94th percentile), especially compared to schools like Alabama.

math and econ. What percentage of WF undergrads go to med school?
I don't know. There are probably 3 relevant questions - how many students start pre-med, how many apply to med school, and how many go to med school? I couldn't find answers to any of these, though Wake does have an extensive prehealth website. Biology looks to be the 5th most popular major at Wake, but not all bio majors go to med school, and many med school applicants major in something other than bio.

But in general, there are a good number of Wake students interested in medicine. Same with law school. And being associated with professional schools is potentially a major plus for those students.

Back