• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread 2.0

My mother in law was at this show

Rj were you there

Whoa, nice, rj, you must have been partying SERIOUS if you don't even remember.

I was already in CA by then.

At JFK, I saw the Kinks (with Joan Jett, Journey) and The Who (The Hooters opened and were out of their league, The Clash and I think Santana also played), The Stones (I think Thorogood was opening. Kinda different than the bars we used to see him at), Peter Frampton (I think Dickie Betts was on the card), Fleetwood Mac (of course my favorite Fleetwood Mac night was one that didn't happen), Genesis (Elvis Costello and Blondie also played) and Yes.

I have no idea how The Hooters got on that bill. They were only a local bar band at the time. Someone must have paid off Larry Magid to allow them to play.

If I'm not mistaken local bar band Robert Hazard and the Heroes played on the Genesis date. Robert wrote "Just Wanna Have Fun". He was bitter that The Hooters had much more success than he did. Of all the games, I worked or attended at The Vet, Robert's version of the national anthem was the best.

During the mid-70s-early 80s, I doubt there was any place that had better music than Philly. Besides the groups listed above (and Hall and Oates) there were many other good rockers and it was also the golden era of Philly Soul.
On any night you could find great music almost anywhere.

Bands could make a living playing in the Philly area. There was also a circuit that went up to NH and down to DC. Many played CBGB as well.

7/7/89, last show at JFK
I was at that show. I was on the floor stage right on Phil's side not too far away from where the cameras pan. I've always lookd for myself in the shots from that video. I think summer of 89 was peak Jerry energy post-coma. I saw 7 shows that summer and they were all outstanding. That was the summer tour that UNCG offered a Grateful Dead Sociology class. Being a business major I didn't take the class but I have a lot of lifelong friends who did and I pretty much "audited" it. I still see Rebecca Adams who taught that class out at various local shows/ music all the time.

Last edited:
Good conversation/panel here on racism in the punk/alternative scene right now. Should be archived and available immediately after the live part is over on this twitch channel and their YouTube.

https://www.twitch.tv/emonitela

Damn, had forgotten the studio version is some heavy shit. Allen Toussaint.

TIL Woody Guthrie wrote a song about... well check it out and see for yourself.

Back