• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread 2.0

Just got a new 65 inch surround sound system which fucking rocks for these live stream shows. Phish choc donut night.

the answer for the 80s was the band, i just remembered. bad seo.

the white band comment is an interesting one. perhaps what i would say the difference between underrated and unknown.

for the opposing kinks views, is the belief that they are highly rated or just not that good of a band?

he meant the 70s

The Band was actually my first impulse, but their best album -- Music From Big Pink -- was '68 and I think The Last Waltz has done a good bit to raise their profile

might still be the answer

re: white vs. non-white bands, I look at mainstream lists like the Rolling Stones Top 100, which has a lot of solo black artists up high, but not many black bands

Isley Brothers not on the list -- that's a good nomination for underrated 70s band

ok yeah. The Band rules but are they really underrated? The Weight is a huge song.

All the bands apetit mentioned were mainstream and signed to big labels and record deals and had lots of fans. Idk why any of them, with the exception I guess of Toto, could be considered underrated. But even with Toto that's because most people are like yea I know Africa. Are you telling me you went through Toto's catalog of 1980s recordings, the 5 album run, and said, this is the most underrated band of the 1980s?

Talk Talk? Husker Du? Misfits? Minutemen? The Fall? Wipers? New Order? The Replacements?

I guess I don't really get it, juice's point notevenwithstanding

the answer for the 80s was the band, i just remembered. bad seo.

the white band comment is an interesting one. perhaps what i would say the difference between underrated and unknown.

for the opposing kinks views, is the belief that they are highly rated or just not that good of a band?

So lets talk about the Kinks...in the 1960s, they released 7 studio albums. 4 of those were top 100 albums in the US, one placed at 105 and the other two were 118 and 153. In the UK albums charted 3,3,9,12,35,47 and one not ranked.

During the same period, 5 compilations were also released - 3/5 charted into the top 50 with 1 of those being certified Gold.

The Kinks weren't bigger in the US because they were banned from touring the US at the height of the "British Invasion."

Overlooked - often. Underrated - no way.

The Band is also not underrated by any stretch. They are well regarded as one of the all time greats. Their first 7 albums were all top 100s, with 6 of those being 30 or better.

They were coming unglued in the early 70s due to fatigue and drug abuse and Robbie Robertson (fucking bastard) taking over. Everything after Cahoots is very meh, except for the stuff they did with Dylan (Before the Flood, Planet Waves, and The Basement Tapes) and The Last Waltz, which again was contrived as hell although it ended up being awesome.

Last edited:
My opinion, Sonic Youth was the most under rated band of both the 80's and 90's or I'd go with Yo La Tengo or Pavement for the 90's, Velvet Underground is the most under rated band for 60's. The 70's are harder for me. Seems like the rock world was reeling from demise of the Beatles, and the death of Jimi and Janis, etc. The record industry was also shifting from artist representation and facilitation to an profit driven industry. Off the top of my head I'd probably say someone like Iggy Pop or the Stooges were the most underrated band of the 70's but it's probably more like Sugar Hill Gang or Grand Master Flash. I am totally biased to white guy music, because I am a white guy; hip hop, soul and RnB have never really been my thing. I am sure there are some really good underrated/underappreciated rappers from the 80's and 90's. I'm out of my league there.

i am listening to DIIV and drinking tea and trying to motivate myself to grade speeches.

And I wake up in a cold sweat on your ceiling

Back