• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

This guy played here in CHS a while back and I couldn't make it to the show which sucks for me...on the other hand, I can't get enough of this song:

The sped up mouse voice effect was Kanye's signature production element from the beginning, and it is on this record in multiple tracks. Bound 2 could easily be found on one of his earlier records.

Sped up soul and motown samples have been a rap staple for years, especially NY rap. Check out any Jay-z, Nas, or AZ album from the mid to late 90s and you'll hear one in virtually every chorus or hook. Absolutely not signature for Kanye.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Went and saw Warren Haynes with Jeff Sipe and others play with the NC symphony doing a tribute to Jerry Garcia.

Really good show. Reserved arrangements but they really highlighted the songwriting.

A real treat is they played If I Had The World To Give in the 2nd set which was a song off Shakedown Street that the GD only played 3 times in 1978.

Set 1: Dark Star tease>Bird Song, Crazy Fingers, Scarlet Begonias, Warren Jam, Shakedown, Standing On The Moon, China Cat Sunflower, Symphony Jam, Morning Dew.

Set 2: Mission in the Rain tease>High Time, Black Peter, UJB, West LA Fadeaway, If I Had The World To Give, Drums Terrapin Station>Slipknot>Terrapin Station. Encore: Patchwork Quilt, Stella Blue

Very similar show tonight, except they played a slightly different close/encore.

Set 1 was the same.

Set 2: Mission in the Rain (tease) > High Time, Uncle John's Band, West LA Fadeaway, If I had the World To Give, Drums > Terrapin Station > Slipknot > Terrapin Station, Patchwork Quilt

E: Black Peter, China Doll

The Terrapin > Slipknot > Terrapin was really fantastic. Terrapin was just made for a performance like this with the string accompaniment, like the album version. Really fun time tonight.

Sped up soul and motown samples have been a rap staple for years, especially NY rap. Check out any Jay-z, Nas, or AZ album from the mid to late 90s and you'll hear one in virtually every chorus or hook. Absolutely not signature for Kanye.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Right and you realize that Kanye was involved in the production on a lot of those records right?

Last edited:
Right and you realize that Kanye was involved in the production on a lot of those records right?

He wasn't involved in that time period or area, Kanye didn't break as a producer until "The Truth" by Beanie Sigel, and his first work with Jay-z was on The Dynasty album, which was Jays 5th album. Some rap producers who have famously used sped up samples during or before Kanye: Puffy, RZA, Just Blaze, DJ Premiere, Fizzy Womack (Lil Fame from MOP), Teddy Riley, DR Period

Last edited:
Has anyone listened to the latest Jason Isbell album 'Southeastern'? I just listened to the song 'elephant' from it and it got real dusty in here.

Yeah, I've listened to it. He's sober now and I think a lot of the album revolves around that. He is playing Visulite Theater next Wednesday.

Just listened to Elephant again. Wow.

Very similar show tonight, except they played a slightly different close/encore.

Set 1 was the same.

Set 2: Mission in the Rain (tease) > High Time, Uncle John's Band, West LA Fadeaway, If I had the World To Give, Drums > Terrapin Station > Slipknot > Terrapin Station, Patchwork Quilt

E: Black Peter, China Doll

The Terrapin > Slipknot > Terrapin was really fantastic. Terrapin was just made for a performance like this with the string accompaniment, like the album version. Really fun time tonight.

Nice. Glad you had a good time.

Has anyone listened to the latest Jason Isbell album 'Southeastern'? I just listened to the song 'elephant' from it and it got real dusty in here.

album of the year, hands down. he's he best lyrical songwriter in music today. playing raleigh next tuesday, lincoln theatre. the last time he will play a venue this small in the carolinas.

First new Pixies song in a decade and interesting timing as Kim just left the band.

haha ok surfer rosa is kind of an all time classic though

Back