• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

tough call. bone machine is one of the best songs ever written and recorded, and that whole A side is just sensational, but surfer rosa may be a more complete record front to back.

haha it's kinda close imo. the production is better on surfer rosa IMO. albini is the man.

haha it's kinda close imo. the production is better on surfer rosa IMO. albini is the man.

Albini's thoughts about Surfer Rosa and working with the Pixies. He refers to the record as a piece of shit.

"A patchwork pinch loaf from a band who at their top dollar best are blandly entertaining college rock. Their willingness to be "guided" by their manager, their record company and their producers is unparalleled. Never have I seen four cows more anxious to be led around by their nose rings."

like i said, albini is the man. disagree that the music is blandly entertaining college rock, but i'd heard they were sheeple before.

Albini's thoughts about Surfer Rosa and working with the Pixies. He refers to the record as a piece of shit.

"A patchwork pinch loaf from a band who at their top dollar best are blandly entertaining college rock. Their willingness to be "guided" by their manager, their record company and their producers is unparalleled. Never have I seen four cows more anxious to be led around by their nose rings."

I just looked this up and he seems to backtrack in later years:
In 1991, as Pixies were recording Trompe le Monde, Albini described his impressions of Pixies during the recording of Surfer Rosa to the fan magazine Forced Exposure: "A patchwork pinch loaf from a band who at their top dollar best are blandly entertaining college rock. Their willingness to be "guided" by their manager, their record company and their producers is unparalleled. Never have I seen four cows more anxious to be led around by their nose rings."[8] Albini later apologized for his remarks, saying, "to this day I regret having done it. I don't think that I regarded the band as significantly as I should have."[41]

Doolittle probably has their best singles, but I think I prefer Bossanova and Trompe Le Monde to their earlier stuff. They just seem to be more complete collections...a bit more mature, musically. More polish, for sure.

Doolittle probably has their best singles, but I think I prefer Bossanova and Trompe Le Monde to their earlier stuff. They just seem to be more complete collections...a bit more mature, musically. More polish, for sure.

I just found this pretty neat article on the making of Surfer Rosa. Your quote pretty much sums up what Albini thinks of the Pixies now days.

I think in their earliest stages they were still trying to discern how they wanted to play music rather than trying to do it well. I think they were still sort of getting their aesthetic together and it was more scattershot. After their first couple of albums, there started to be a discernable Pixies style and sound - like there was a degree of density and there was a degree of complexity and there was kind of a loping verse and then the shouting part. That hadn't really formed yet.

I respect them and I certainly have high regard for Kim as a singer and I think Charles is a good guy. I never really liked their music in the way that I liked my favorite bands' music - like the Jesus Lizard, Television, Public Image, the Sex Pistols, the Ramones, Suicide, Kraftwerk, unique and brilliant bands that I loved, I never really got that level of interest with the Pixies. It's awkward for me to say because I feel like in some way I'm peeing on their birthday cake here. I do geniuinely like and respect the people in that band. I think David Lovering is a great drummer. I think Joey is an innovative guitar player. I think Kim is probably the best singer ever, and I think Charlie is a talented and unique guy. But the things that I like about that band, it's not really the music.

http://thisrecording.com/today/2010/3/2/in-which-we-run-away-with-the-pixies.html

I never got into the pixies. I think it had something to do with their frontman being a younger, fatter NazTDeac.

Also never liked pavement, that bro canNOT sing. The whole granpa era of indie is lost on me.

Last edited:
I've been listening a lot to Steven Wilson's solo albums lately and I think I like them more than Porcupine Tree. They still have the psychedelic vibe to them, but seem to incorporate more influences. They are less musical and more abstract in a lot of ways, but there is a great flow to them all as well as a consistency that is hard to pull off when there is so much diversity within the songs. It's very tough to pull off something simultaneously nightmarish and beautiful, but he does it.

Timbaland is hilarious in the MCHG promo video. "That's that thing cu-cocka boom-BOOM!"

I never got into the pixies. I think it had something to do with their frontman being a younger, fatter NazTDeac.

Also never liked pavement, that bro canNOT sing. The whole granpa era of indie is lost on me.

wait hold up. you are saying black francis wore mom jeans?

also, i know i've posted it a million times but this is some of the best shit that came out of that 90s period (post pixies mind you)

This Jason Isbell album is outstanding. This song writing gives me goosebumps. After listening to this I'm realizing why I like Decoration Day more than any other DBT album, as the two outstanding songs on that we're written and sung by Isbell:Decoration Day & Outfis. From Southeastern, my favorite tracks are "Live Oak" and "Yvette"

Live Oak

There's a man who walks beside me
It is who I used to be
And I wonder if she sees him
and confuses him with me
And I wonder who she's pinin' for
on nights I'm not around
Could it be the man who did the things
I'm living now ?
I was rougher than a timber
shippin' out of Fond du Lac
When I headed south at 17
ol' sheriff on my back
I never held a lover in my arms or in my gaze
So I found another victim every couple days
But the night I fell in love with her
I made my weakness known
Through the fires and the farmers diggin' dusty fields alone
The jealous innuendos of the lonely hearted men
Let me know what kind of country I was sleeping in
Well you couldn't stay a loner
on the plains before the war
My neighbors had been slightin' me
I had to ask what for
Rumors of my wickedness had reached our little town
Soon she'd heard about the boys I used to hang around
We'd robbed a Great Lakes freighter,
killed a couple men or more
And I told her her eyes flickered like the sharp steel of a sword
All the things that she'd suspected
I'd expected her to fear
Was the truth that drew her to me when I landed here
There's a man who walks beside me
he is who I used to be
And I wonder if she sees him and confuses him with me
And I wonder who she's pinin' for
on nights I'm not around
Could it be the man who did the things
I'm living down ?
Well I carved a cross from live oak
and a box from shortleaf pine
Buried her so deep
she touched the water table line
I picked up what I needed
and I headed south again
To myself I wondered
would I find another friend
There's a man who walks beside her,
it is who I used to be
And I wonder if she sees him and confuses him with me.

Yvette

I can barely make out a little light from the house on the cul-de-sac
bedroom upstairs, it's a family affair.

I've watched you in class, your eyes are cut glass and you stay covered up,
head to your toe, so nobody will know it was you

I might not be a man yet,
but that bastard will never be,
so I'm cleaning my Weatherby
My sight and my scope
and I hope against hope.
I hope against hope.

Your mother seems nice, I don't understand why she won't say anything.
As if she can't see who he turned out to be.

I might not be a man yet,
but your father will never be.
so I load up my Weatherby,
and I let out my breath,
and I couple with death.
I couple with death.

Saw your father last night, and in the window the light made a silhouette.
Saw him hold you that way, he won't hold you that way anymore, Yvette.

After a quick listen to Justin Townes Earles latest cd, it seems like I should have been listening to his first 4 or 5 albums. This is my wheelhouse, Isbell, Ryan Adams, Nathaniel Rateliff, Damien Jurado

Back