• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

which reminds me, i guess now that i'm back to the boards, i can defend my thesis on #WTT. eh. only 1 song will make the end of year list anyway...

Yeah, I don't really know anyone that doesn't like the album. It just seems that the response has been negative cause the most vocal people are the detractors. What are your thoughts, if you have listened to it, on The Game's "The R.E.D. Album?" It's impressively ambitious (21 songs, 75 minutes long), if ultimately a little underwhelming.

Gotta admit, I don't quite understand all the intricacies of the Aftermath stuff, and all the album A&R stuff that seems to be the subject matter of the album, but I really like a few of the tracks (Good Girls Gone Bad, Speakers on Blast). The Game is very, very talented. It has been far too long since we've heard from him.

Gotta admit, I don't quite understand all the intricacies of the Aftermath stuff, and all the album A&R stuff that seems to be the subject matter of the album, but I really like a few of the tracks (Good Girls Gone Bad, Speakers on Blast). The Game is very, very talented. It has been far too long since we've heard from him.

No doubt. A couple really solid tracks. Martians vs. Goblins is a personal favorite. Game channeling Odd Future, Tyler delivering a blistering verse, all over a crazy beat. Only thing off is Wayne's hook. Ricky, I think, is an exceptionally solid song too. I'm not up on all the Aftermath stuff either, but yeah, The Game is an outstanding rapper when he puts forth the effort.

I think the more vocal hip hop fans here are generally of the same consensus. Since i'm too lazy to find the hip hop thread, here are some of my favorite deep cuts off the big albums that i have been bumping (and some underground ish).

1. A.D.H.D - from Kendrick Lamar's Section 80
2. Trouble on my Mind - Pusha T ft. Tyler, the Creator from Fear of God II(coming soon)
3. Ni##as in Paris - from Watch the Throne
4. Blunt Blowin - Carter IV
5. Young Sinatra II by Logic
6. Marvin and Chardonnay - Big Sean Finally Famous
7. Interlude on Carter IV ft. Tech N9ne and Andre 3000
8. Tron Cat - from Tyler, the Creator's Goblin
9. Murder to Excellence - The Throne
10. Sorry 4 the Wait from Sorry 4 the Wait
11. She from Goblin
12. Memories, Pt. 2 from Finally Famous
13. Illest M-- Alive - The throne

I'm a huge Pusha T fan, so I can't fucking wait for his debut album. The collabo between him and Tyler was amazing, considering they are two of my favorite rappers around.

Here's a mix for everyone as my re-entry to the boards comes full circle. A little something for everyone here, including new Ryan Adams, one from the Weeknd as WakeFanatic mentioned, and some great new releases from smaller labels.

1. Lucky Now - Ryan Adams
2. Ophelia - Luke Temple
3. Everything Must Spin - Ryan Driver
4. Gun Shy - Widowspeak
5. Warn Me, Right - Appetite
6. The Zone - The Weeknd f. Drake
7. Tango Down - Sadsic
8. Plaza Meditation - Cermak
9. I Kill Your Love, Baby! - I Break Horses
10. Lucky - Castanets
11. DENNY'S (on Thursday) - Language and Politics
12. Turiya - Barn Owl
13. Emily the Bear/ You, Go, We'll Stay Here - Br'er

http://www.mediafire.com/?w50es8tidj15eb3

Really wasn't feeling it on the Br'er song. Lucky might have been better in the context of an LP.

Tango Down - Sadsic is reminiscent of a much lighter version of Radiohead's "Pulk/Pull."

A listener!

I think Ryan Adams new song is a bit boring, but a must-have on a new music mixtape. Hopefully his new stuff is more worth the wait. The next two songs were a bit poppy for my typical taste, but ended up growing on me an incredible amount with repeated listens. I like the harmonious chorus of Ophelia and the quick finger picking of Everything Must Spin. Then that spaghetti Western track, Gun Shy, has just the most awesome guitar, even if the chick's voice is a bit far away. Warn Me, Right gets stuck in my head all the time. The Zone definitely isn't the best song on that mixtape, but Drake's verse is pretty good if you are patient enough to get to it. Sadsic and Cermak are just directly in my wheelhouse lately. That indefinable characteristic in music has me totally transfixed lately. Sort of a proto-dubstep or an Avalanches tribute. Castanets are a great band, always moving at a snail's pace. Once you get used to their speed, you see the genius of their catalog. Check out "Dancing with Someone" for a good example of their lyrical genius and instrumental minimalism. The last two tracks are a bit experimental, so they were a stretch, but I've been on that kick lately, listening to a lot of William Basinski and Supersilent. I've been thinking of putting together a thread about minimalism or experimental music, but I think it would get more flack than interest.

Anyway, glad you listened! Any tracks you enjoyed?

Still working through it. Liking Turiya.

Everything else is ver approachable. Enjoyed Widowspeak and Cermak.

I'm a little conflicted in general on The Weeknd. It just sounds like the stuff they play in hip restaurant lounges or expensive European furniture stores, and I just don't have a lot oF room for that kind of vibe.

Ryan Adams is the highlight, as expected.

Last edited:
Also been getting into the The Decemberists disc that came out in January, The King Is Dead. Peter Buck plays on a couple of tracks. The video to Calamity Song is based on Infinite Jest, for those of you who tackled that tome. Only $5.00 for the whole album at amazon.com. I could swear it was more than that a couple of days ago.

I'm a little conflicted in general on The Weeknd. It just sounds like the stuff they play in hip restaurant lounges or expensive European furniture stores, and I just don't have a lot oF room for that kind of vibe.

The main criticism that's been levied against it is that it's hipster music, and that no black people actually listen to it. Eh, I don't really buy it. I know a cpl black ppl who love them. Saw an interview with Pharrell where he was praising The Weeknd as a new influx of creative hip hop talent (Odd Future was also mentioned). Frank Ocean, from OF, and The Weeknd are really changing up the R&B game. Drake also is to an extent, what with Marvin's Room and all. I'm all for it.

Also been getting into the The Decemberists disc that came out in January, The King Is Dead. Peter Buck plays on a couple of tracks. The video to Calamity Song is based on Infinite Jest, for those of you who tackled that tome. Only $5.00 for the whole album at amazon.com. I could swear it was more than that a couple of days ago.

Wow I had no idea the two were related. I need to look into this. Infinite Jest is some weighty shit.

The main criticism that's been levied against it is that it's hipster music, and that no black people actually listen to it. Eh, I don't really buy it. I know a cpl black ppl who love them. Saw an interview with Pharrell where he was praising The Weeknd as a new influx of creative hip hop talent (Odd Future was also mentioned). Frank Ocean, from OF, and The Weeknd are really changing up the R&B game. Drake also is to an extent, what with Marvin's Room and all. I'm all for it.

Oh because hip-hop is owned by black people, right. So tired of race being brought up wrt rap and hip hop. As if epistemic privilege is keeping white people from enjoying black music. I understand the nuance that some music has been written and recorded for and by black men, but it doesn't have to be a line like that.

The Weeknd are simply making a different sound within the genre. Dude has a Michael Jackson falsetto, the swagger of a millionaire 20 year old, and the chops to make it all work. I don't think race factors in to the baby-making music he produces.

I tried to listen to that stuff. I was really hoping to find something I liked as much as Grace Potter. I was hoping a few of them would be that good.

Ryan Adams is very boring. The nbext few sounded a lot like 60s soft pop-rock or average bar bands.

Sadsic and Zone sounded like you needed to do acid to listen to them.

Cermack took way too long to get into the song. It was Ok but I wouldn't seek them out.

the rest was EH.......

Do you like anything that had more energy?

Don't really understand the hype for the new Bon Iver, it really is quite slow and boring. Two other records recently released that mine the same territory and are so much better are the new Fruit Bats cd, 'Tripper', and former Greensboro resident Andy Cabic's new cd under the name Vetiver called 'The Errant Charm'.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a The Raymond Brake reunion...

Back