• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

I've got my ticket. I also might be living there by then.

I was fortunate enough to see Yellow Ostrich at the Black Cat Backstage last night for a tremendous show. The opener, TEEN, wasn't half bad, but it didn't hurt that it was comprised of four cute, young chicks. Then Yellow Ostrich lived up to and surpassed all the expectations I had been building up since I bought tix back in February. I think Alex Schaaf is incredibly talented, but more than that, he may be the most creative songwriter today, perhaps rivaled only by Bradford Cox or a small handful of others. Just brilliant stuff. And his multi-instrumentalist supporting member, whose name I didn't catch, was ridiculous. He would regularly play three instruments at once, from any horn to any guitar to any number of pedals and distortion knobs and bells and whistles. That was just a great time. Hard to believe it was one of the first shows they've sold out. Alex was there afterwards signing stuff, but I didn't get a chance to speak with him, mostly because I was embarrassed by DeacFan2009toy, who kept yelling at him to take off his shirt.

I was fortunate enough to see Yellow Ostrich at the Black Cat Backstage last night for a tremendous show. The opener, TEEN, wasn't half bad, but it didn't hurt that it was comprised of four cute, young chicks. Then Yellow Ostrich lived up to and surpassed all the expectations I had been building up since I bought tix back in February. I think Alex Schaaf is incredibly talented, but more than that, he may be the most creative songwriter today, perhaps rivaled only by Bradford Cox or a small handful of others. Just brilliant stuff. And his multi-instrumentalist supporting member, whose name I didn't catch, was ridiculous. He would regularly play three instruments at once, from any horn to any guitar to any number of pedals and distortion knobs and bells and whistles. That was just a great time. Hard to believe it was one of the first shows they've sold out. Alex was there afterwards signing stuff, but I didn't get a chance to speak with him, mostly because I was embarrassed by DeacFan2009toy, who kept yelling at him to take off his shirt.

That's awesome.

He really is such a unique songwriter. The way he puts together music is fascinating.

mostly because I was embarrassed by DeacFan2009toy, who kept yelling at him to take off his shirt.

But she got retweeted!

iURYC.png

Anybody checked out the Of Monsters and Men album? Really liked the Little Talks single and picked up the CD for my girlfriend. Only heard it once so far but it's not bad.

Downloaded this album the other day and love it so far. These guys are talented.

The Lumineers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvCBSSwgtg4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Not on my computer so I can't embed right now

Werd, I was repping Lumineers a couple pages back. Definitely dig their album.

Great week of music for me. Alabama Shakes, Yellow Ostrich, Childish Gambino.

And I just bought my Lolla ticket, and am working on plane tix ASAP.

Hologram Tupac on stage rapping Aint Nothing like a Gangsta Party with Snoop live at Coachella...crazy.

New Moonface!

It's on Spinner. I am not sure I like it as much as Organ Music, but it's really good.

New Moonface!

It's on Spinner. I am not sure I like it as much as Organ Music, but it's really good.

I hated Organ Music for the most part. Really been looking forward to this one, though. The p4k review worried me-- they talk a lot about how Krug is moving towards more literal songwriting, and for me, his lyrical strength was always one of his biggest. I'll be grabbing this tomorrow, at any rate.

Also! The new Jack White solo album Blunderbuss is streaming for free until next week on iTunes. I'm only a few songs in, but it's pretty good so far.

You might like the TinyMixTapes review then. They were more critical of Organ Music, and really liked this new one. The new album is sad, and I think my favorite song is the last one. It's classic Krug lyrics that really make you work. Though not a ton of killer keyboard work like you're used to.

Last edited:
Also definitely digging the new Walkmen tune, the title track from their forthcoming album.

Link

9. The Grifters – Bummer (One Sock Missing)

You could put The Grifters in any musical time period and they would fail. They took lo-fi and noise to levels that fans of lo-fi noise couldn’t even accept. So how could they ever succeed with a larger audience? They couldn’t. But they did succeed in creating a cock-rock masterpiece. The guitar line from “Bummer” sounds like The Kinks trying to play “All Day and All of the Night” while they are being anally fucked by The Rolling Stones on acid. Sounds good right? It is. Although they went on to make more accomplished music—The Eureka E.P. being their highpoint—this is easily their greatest piece of riff-rock.

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/articles/staff_top_10/top-ten-indie-guitar-riffs-of-all-time.htm

New Beach House tune is so awesome

A couple weeks back, Entertainment Weekly published a list of the "30 Greatest Musical Artists Right Now." Unsurprisingly, it was a pretty awful list and they basically just included the most popular musicians currently putting out music, but there at #30 was Beach House. Gotta have some indie cred I suppose. Funny stuff.

Also definitely digging the new Walkmen tune, the title track from their forthcoming album.

Link

Yup. On a related note: You should know that I still resent you (and may resent you for all of eternity) for your snub of You & Me on your 2000s list.

Back