• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

The new Trampled by Turtles is streaming at Paste now FTMFW!

Only two tracks in but I like the new sound methinks. I like the way the second track builds. Seems more dynamic than their past stuff to me.

Less is more is how they described what they were going for. They do have one kickass instrumental composition on there though.

For rj:

CMG calls it Bowie pastiche. They definitely still write catchy songs, even if this new album doesn't suit their sound as well.

Put a man on Mars today/ And it wasn't the future

Might have to go to this
peachlineupfinal_12revline.jpg

Real Estate shows are fantastic. Went to see them here in Chicago back in February or something like that. Wonderful show.

My roommate actually knows all the guys personally. They all went to high school together in New Jersey, along with Vivian Girls and Titus Andronicus. What a loaded high school for musical talent...

Also, usic historians: how radical was My Bloody Valentine - Loveless when it came out? I wasn't around at the time, but my perception is that Shields' use of pedal effects was groundbreaking.

And I fucking love this album.

That looks pretty tight Townie. Is it up in PA by you?

yea that's in Scranton in August. over my bday actually...

Listening to Boys and Girls on repeat today until the Alabama Shakes show tonight. PUMPED.

The venue is sweet, on UPenn's campus, and if you aren't familiar with Live at the World Cafe, check it out. Pretty cool.

I wrote on your wall already but figured I'd include my comments here... they definitely play a good show. the set was kind of short for my tastes (not too far over an hour) but I usually see well-established bands with a larger amount of songs to choose from. Lee Bains & the Glory Fires was an ok opener, they play about an hour too. their lead guitarist has some chops. pretty run of the mill stuff but they bring some energy. don't know about the acoustics at World Cafe but if I could do it over again, I'd try to get center or left -- the Shakes load the bass and lead guitar on the right and sometimes drowned the vocals out.

also check out this show, has a few songs not on the album that they are playing in the live set. Always Alright and Heavy Chevy were two of the best songs of the night.

http://archive.org/details/ashakes2012-01-24.flac16

Awesome. Good look. I am not sure there is an opener, and I'm sure the show will be right around an hour as it's being broadcast live on the radio. Thanks for the tips! We are gonna get there ASAP, leaving straight from work. Hope Philly traffic is half-decent this evening.

I know a lot of World Cafe shows are recorded and later end up on iTunes or something; do you know if they are streaming tonight or anything?

Frank Ocean is awesome. On being threatened litigation from Don Henley:

“He (They) threatened to sue if I perform it again. I think that's fuckin awesome. I guess if I play it at Coachella it'll cost me a couple hundred racks. If I don't show up to court, it'll be a judgement against me & will probably show up on my credit report. Oh well. I try to buy my shit cash anyway. They asked that I release a statement expressing my admiration for Mr. Henley, along with my assistance pulling it off the web as much as possible. Shit's weird. Ain't this guy rich as fuck? Why sue the new guy? I didn't make a dime off that song. I released it for free. If anything I'm paying homage.”

Back