• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

This isn't new at all, but I was thinking today about ambition and music, and what it means to take on an "ambitious" project. I see this term thrown around in new music reviews all the time, and it seems completely overused. All artists are ambitious; it takes a lot of courage to put yourself out there for the whole world. Anybody think of any?

Three that come to mind off the top of my head:

Tommy - The Who
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
We're New Here - Gil Scott-Heron & Jamie xx (mixing spoken word with house/trip-hop)

You could throw My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy in there. Though I'm not sure that's necessarily ambition in Kanye's case...just somebody who legitimately believes he's the best in teh world.

greyalbumlarge.jpg

New Lee Ranaldo w/ Steve Shelley on drums.

What a great little tune. Ranaldo's songs on the SY albums are always some of the best. I actually prefer him over Thurston. I have his custom Fender Jazzmaster model too, which, sad to say, I'm not seeing in his video.

Spun the new Margot and the Nuclear So and So's cd on Spinner this morning. I like it, maybe more than anything I've heard by them thus far. Prozac Rock is pretty great, as are Coonskin Cap and Arvydas Sabonis.

This song has been around since mid-January, but the album is dropping this week(end?) and it deserves a shout:

You might like these guys Townie. They've been sating my twee hunger lately, and I'm diggin the girl's voice. A lot like TracyAnne Campbell of Camera Obscura, who I would definitely take out for a cup of coffee.

Just realized as I bought some tickets that the last show I went to was in October 2010. Can't believe it's been that long. Must correct this immediately.

Noobs. It's funny cause I just finished listening to Goo.

One of my favorite festivals every year is the XPN festival on the other side of the river from Philadelphia on the Camden Waterfront.

They won't announce the lineup/start selling tix til May 1, but they just announced that everyone who buys a ticket to the festival gets free admission to a show 7/21 at the Susquehanna Bank Center to see Wilco, The Avett Bros, and Dr. Dog. So, yeah, I'm in.

TexasDeac wants us to come again, but I don't think I can make it this year. He might be able to convince me if he comes to DC this weekend tho.

Back