• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

Note the list of top songs from 1961. Can't vouch for the accuracy, but it is remarkable to note the variety of musical styles that were popular. Remember listening to much of this as a kid waiting for Wake basketball games on the radio.

Ok so I know there are only a couple people who probably care at all, but I posted last week that I am thinking of doing a little thread on experimental music. Quick poll, would you be more interested in seeing this or the other project I've been working on, my top 50 albums of 2000-2009?

OK so I was a little behind on this, but it is ready now for a Monday morning post. Should I make it a new thread or post here?

ETA: Ah fuck it, I'll just post it today.

Last edited:
Gotta throw some rep out there for my new favorite group, Hospitality.

Digging Betty Wang and really the whole album.

The new Delta Spirit self-titled is AWESOME. ETA vid, and that I'm glad I got to briefly see these bros at Lolla.

Last edited:
Beach House have a new single (you can download if you give them an email addy).

Here ya go.

I know what I'm gonna listen to this morning :)

New Diplo track from forthcoming LP.

With this dancehall direction he's taken lately, not really sure where Diplo ends and Major Lazer ends at this point.

Also, he is about to supass Juvenile as 'musical personality who has done the most to promote large black butts'.

The new Delta Spirit self-titled is AWESOME. ETA vid, and that I'm glad I got to briefly see these bros at Lolla.

Great tune. After hearing that I need to seek out some more Delta Spirit. Bought the Bushwick Blues single last year, but never explored them further. Also another reason to dive deeper into Middle Brother.

Sounds like a live performance. Anything you can do to get the vocals up?

It seems likes it's too fast but could be good.

The album JUST came out, maybe last Monday IIRC?

Here's a link - http://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/releases/sbr071/

I had all but dismissed them after their first two full-lengths, but this is pretty great stuff (aside from a couple screamo vocal spots I don't particularly care for). Got the tip from a blogger friend.

"I feel so homesick, but where's my home? Where I belong or where I was born?"

got a little peek at the first album, it isn't bad for an introductory release... the pieces are there so it'll be interesting to see how they grow over time

This isn't new at all, but I was thinking today about ambition and music, and what it means to take on an "ambitious" project. I see this term thrown around in new music reviews all the time, and it seems completely overused. All artists are ambitious; it takes a lot of courage to put yourself out there for the whole world. Anybody think of any?

Three that come to mind off the top of my head:

Tommy - The Who
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
We're New Here - Gil Scott-Heron & Jamie xx (mixing spoken word with house/trip-hop)

You could throw My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy in there. Though I'm not sure that's necessarily ambition in Kanye's case...just somebody who legitimately believes he's the best in teh world.

I should add, too, that you gotta be successful with your effort for your ambition to matter. Plenty of garage bands have all the ambition in the world, but without the execution, it doesn't matter.

This isn't new at all, but I was thinking today about ambition and music, and what it means to take on an "ambitious" project. I see this term thrown around in new music reviews all the time, and it seems completely overused. All artists are ambitious; it takes a lot of courage to put yourself out there for the whole world. Anybody think of any?

Three that come to mind off the top of my head:

Tommy - The Who
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
We're New Here - Gil Scott-Heron & Jamie xx (mixing spoken word with house/trip-hop)

You could throw My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy in there. Though I'm not sure that's necessarily ambition in Kanye's case...just somebody who legitimately believes he's the best in teh world.

This comes to mind:

4893951_f520.jpg

Back