• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Using a coupon on the first date

no way...splitting checks? to the person who had the 17 dollar top shelf LIT...I don't want to pay half. I'm def. with awar on this one. Just ask for separate checks from the start and this isn't a problem.

Oh God. Why do women try to divide things us? Dudes just split it down the middle (or in thirds or whatever) regardless as to what was ordered.

I always split down the middle w friends or if I'm out w couples. It all evens out. That said I'm older and gainfully employed. I prob felt differently while in school.

That's the worst. I typically don't get expensive meals or appetizers or drinks. No thanks about paying for your steak.

I understand where you're coming from, but maybe your opinion will change over time when you're out in the working world. I don't really care if my friends get more drinks, or a more expensive entree because I just figure it evens out over time. I haven't had it happen in a long time (maybe since college, ha) other than when there might be a huge difference but I find it annoying when people try to dissect the bill. In college every penny counts, however.

I understand where you're coming from, but maybe your opinion will change over time when you're out in the working world. I don't really care if my friends get more drinks, or a more expensive entree because I just figure it evens out over time. I haven't had it happen in a long time (maybe since college, ha) other than when there might be a huge difference but I find it annoying when people try to dissect the bill. In college every penny counts, however.

My thoughts exactly. Once you're out of school and everyone is financially comfortable, sometimes one person picks up the check, sometimes another, etc. That being said I could never have done that all the time in school.

Originally Posted by DrummerDeac

My thoughts exactly. Once you're out of school and everyone is financially comfortable, sometimes one person picks up the check, sometimes another, etc. That being said I could never have done that all the time in school.

I had an ex-girlfriend who would have some of her friends join us sometimes. When that happened I knew I had done something wrong. I rarely knew what, but as soon as I saw those two or three I knew I was in trouble.

They were the types who bitched abotu who had what. Valerie knew as soon as they started I'd just pick up the whole tab to shut them up.

Then she'd tell me what I had theorectically done wrong.

This. I can't remember the last time I went out with a group (or even just one other person) and didn't just divide by the number of people (unless we got separate checks from the start - usually only in big groups). It all evens out in the end.

Maybe. It's never going to even out if I'm always going out with the expensive kids and I'm never expensive. I don't see a time in the next 5 years where I'm not really concerned about money.

I went out with some friends for a birthday party. It was my friend and her twin sisters birthday. We picked up their dinners and then split evenly. I felt bad because I had two cocktails and the filet. I think I paid less even though we were all picking up the girls' meals.

i'm with you awar. my best friend is the only one that i'll do the whole split-evenly thing with. and it's because usually we're out together for sushi, we more or less just share it all, and if one of us is drinking and the other one isn't, then the one who is drinking will just leave the whole tip. i'm always on the cheaper end of things with meals when i'm out because i very rarely drink when i'm out to dinner. i'm not going to constantly pick up the tab for other people's overpriced alcohol.

I agree with the concept of things evening out between friends. I'm not one to keep score.

However, if the place does separate checks, why not just do that? It's the 21st century, and most places do this very easily (and some places do this as SOP). In my opinion, going dutch is the way to go with a larger group, especially if there are people you don't consistently/normally spend time with. Additionally, I'm another person that generally never breaks the bank, specifically at upscale restaurants, so I understand and agree with the sentiment of not burdening most of the check (relative to what I ordered).

Last edited:
Concerning coupon on a first date - for most people, this isn't culturally acceptable. You'd look like an idiot.

I live my life based on the assumption that I will pay for the woman in my life for the rest of my life.

I assume that my wife will stay at home.

Now, I'm not saying that I expect her to stay home or expect her to make me pay for everything. However, I want to be able to do those things.

really? It was the opposite for me. I paid for most everything in the beginning, now it's about 50/50.

Well, I get most of the dinners. She gets a lot of the coffees and other assorted types of things. It's not really one sided.

She never needs to worry that it's not supersized...

...just kidding.

People who split the check in detail at a restaurant is a pet peeve of mine. There's 8 people, divide the check by 8 and throw in a tip on top. Anything more complicated than that makes me extremely stabby.

Heck, I'd gladly throw in extra on top to cover for someone who felt they were getting ripped off just to not have to deal with splitting the check up and spending 20 minutes on it like it's some kind of accounting project. F that noise - dinner with friends is supposed to be fun, not work.

Back