• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Using a coupon on the first date

Massachusetts. I never even knew that they split checks for you until my freshman year at Wake. A lot of times when I go out to dinner with my girlfriends in Boston they don't split the check and we have to divide everything up ourselves.

Hm, strange. I've had both happen down here and in NJ. I always thought it just depended on the establishment. If it is a regional thing, you'd think it would be the opposite because of good ol "southern hospitality".

Yea it's really weird and annoying. I never have cash on me and always assume that it won't be a problem because they'll split the check, and then I remember that I'm in Boston and not elsewhere. I'm sure it's much more common to split checks at chains that have the more complicated computer systems that split the checks automatically, but even when I was in high school and went to chili's all the time with my friends we always got one check.

Coupon on the first date? No freaking way. If there is a situation where she happens to have one and brings it up, I'd tell her to use it another time because it is kind of weird to use a coupon on a first date.

Massachusetts. I never even knew that they split checks for you until my freshman year at Wake. A lot of times when I go out to dinner with my girlfriends in Boston they don't split the check and we have to divide everything up ourselves.

Yes! They don't split checks. I never knew it was possible either! Also when you get a doggie bag they make you do it yourself in NC- it threw me off for like a year when they would bring them out!

I haaaate places that bag your food for you. I want to put it in there a specific way and might want to leave certain stuff out. It also really creeps me out when they box it up in the back. I would really like to see what you are doing with my food over there, guy.

I haaaate places that bag your food for you. I want to put it in there a specific way and might want to leave certain stuff out. It also really creeps me out when they box it up in the back. I would really like to see what you are doing with my food over there, guy.

So weird- I feel exactly the opposite. When I moved to NC, the first few times I would be thinking WTF- are you that lazy!? It's just bc I had never seen that before obviously, but I still like the food people niching boxing my food. It's all about what you're used to I guess.

I like to box my own food, because who knows how they do it in the kitchen.

Also I'm from NY and I never thought it was weird to split a check, FWIW.

I don't care if the girl offers, but there's no way that I'm letting her pay.

I also think that it's cute how after a while girls think that things are split 50/50. It may seem that way to them, but that's a lie.

Threads like these just remind me how little experience I have with dating. HTTD is the only person that I've been with since high school boyfriends and I wouldn't really call what we did "dating".

haha you're very wrong.

eta: coffee date is more likely to out you in the friend zone.

So you're saying if a guy asks you out to dinner and the girl suggests lunch it's not usually a friend zone sign? If a guy asks you to dinner and the girls suggests coffee its more likely to be a friend zone type of situation?

Interesting. In my experience lunch dates can lock you into the friend zone pretty quick, but I am by no means an expert.

WFfb115 said:

Oh God. Why do women try to divide things us? Dudes just split it down the middle (or in thirds or whatever) regardless as to what was ordered.

I think if the girl suggests a lunch date (instead of the dinner date) it could mean she's busy. I see where you're coming from though...it can mean friends zone. I'm just saying that's not always the case.

coffee...it's almost always the case.

BeachBumDeac said:
Deadbolt wrote: My fiancee used to pull the whole "I'll pay for my own meal" thing. Some feminist, independent woman, "you're not getting in my panties" kind of thing.

Now I pay for most dinners.

really? It was the opposite for me. I paid for most everything in the beginning, now it's about 50/50.

I've paid and still pay for everything.

I think if the girl suggests a lunch date (instead of the dinner date) it could mean she's busy. I see where you're coming from though...it can mean friends zone. I'm just saying that's not always the case.

coffee...it's almost always the case.

makes total sense. I guess its just important to gauge it based on the situation and not be totally oblivious. Sometimes hard with women though, lots of mixed signals.

Oh God. Why do women try to divide things us? Dudes just split it down the middle (or in thirds or whatever) regardless as to what was ordered.

That's the worst. I typically don't get expensive meals or appetizers or drinks. No thanks about paying for your steak.

Agreed! You have to figure that it all evens out in the end.. I hate it when there is one d-bag who is like "I only had water" so they have to split it all out exactly.

Sounds like the not splitting the check is a Boston thing. My girlfriend is from Pennsylvania (which I consider the north) and it seems normal to her. Would they flat out say no to splitting or have you just never asked?

And NO coupon on the first date!

Back